WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: PB Powder by IMR

Boolit Mold

Question PB Powder by IMR

IMR discontinued PB a while back, which greatly saddens me. I used it to good effect with 158 gr LRN in .38 spcl target loads when my wife was competing. Does anyone still use stocks on hand? As an alternate question, has someone found a suitable alternate with similar characteristics to PB?
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    PB was the second powder I ever loaded. Bought 8 lbs of it from Powder Valley right as it was discontinued. After I used it all up, I discovered Red Dot and Promo. Very close and just as versatile.

PB was my #1 choice for .38 Spec. .45 ACP & .45 Colt. & I was upset when my last 8 lbs. was emptied. I considered it a clean burning Unique.

The closest thing I've found to replace it is HP-38/231.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are so many good powders for pistol applications that the loss of PB is of no consequence. I look for sales and buy whatever is the cheapest and I buy a lot of it. Bought 30 lbs of CleanShot without every using it because it was cheap.

PB is hardly ever recommended in the thousands of loads posted on this site. Might answer why it was discontinued. Many competitive shooters use Bullseye, and HP 38 (W231) for Target loads. I have had success with Clays as well. I suspect CleanShot will work well but I have not tried it yet.
    Don Verna

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    PB's claim to fame was as a 20-ga. shotshell powder favored by Skeet shooters. Niche market.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

What is PB? I was browsing my loading books today. And saw it listed in some loads.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    What is PB? I was browsing my loading books today. And saw it listed in some loads.
    PB is abbreviation for "porous base", which is an uncoated flake straight nitrocellulose with no deterrent, graphite only. Originally used for 12-ga. Duck loads and 20-ga. Skeet. Good reduced load powder for cast used for same general applications as Unique, but smaller particle size well suited for machine loading.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Thank you for answering Outpost75. Always good to learn something.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I used PB for my pistol loads for years it was a great powder and sorely missed when it was no longer available down here I went to 452 AA for my pistol loads but sadly that to was discontinued now days I use WW 231 for every one of my pistol loads as it meters well and makes large and small charges easy to do I strongly recommend it.

Regards Paul.

PB was a great powder for me in 9MM

Boolit Man
    PB and SR 4756 were favorites of mine too. The small flake size, very clean burning, and it shot well in cold weather. I used PB in 3 dram, 27 yard trap loads.It was always more expensive, and hard to find compared to other powders.

Gents, PB by IMR was/is a great powder. Loaded up 102 grain SWC Eastwood PC in a Wilson 9mm ie; 1.015" OVL. Shot to center of target, 25 yards. Ran about 1080 fps. That was a nice load. Have a great week!
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMF1 View Post
    G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I used PB for my pistol loads for years it was a great powder and sorely missed when it was no longer available down here I went to 452 AA for my pistol loads but sadly that to was discontinued now days I use WW 231 for every one of my pistol loads as it meters well and makes large and small charges easy to do I strongly recommend it.

Regards Paul.
    Paul, a little off topic, but do you have any load data for 452aa other that what shows up in speer #11? I was given about 15lbs and am trying to decide if I should use it in anything other than 45acp.

Moderator Emeritus
    Do a search here for 452AA and you will find some load data.

Am I the only one who felt like PB smelled like roasting pecans as it burnt ..used PB years ago when I was in college ..shooting live pigeons and Calcutta shoots

Bear