Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Bad Primers??

Boolit Master

Bad Primers??

I don't know where to post this one. Is there a site or thread on here that speaks to bad Winchester SP primers?
    I have two lots of Winchester primers that I have used over the last two years.
    All of a sudden I am getting 4-5% of Winchester primers that are failing to ignite. This is happening in .38 Special and 9MM.
    I don't know and did not segregate by reloading by primer lots. I had 3000 of one lot and reloaded about 1800 .38 Specials plus other ammo. At some point I ran out and loaded from another lot, both .38 and 9MM.
    Today out of 80 rounds I had 4 bad primers. I have inspected the firearms and do not suspect a problem with them. The firing pin is certainly striking the primer hard enough to fire it off.
    3K were bought from a local supplier and another case of 5K were bought in 2016 at Camp Perry. In my ownership they have been stored in my house climate controlled.
    I have written Winchester and given them lot numbers. Does anyone remember a discussion about bad Winchester SP primers.
    In forty+ years of competitive shooting, I have experienced 2 bad primers. Within the last month I have had at least 20 rounds that did not go off.

Banned
    A couple of years ago I also had 2 bricks of Winchester PP primers. Most of them didn't work in any of my guns or my mentor's guns.

Recently My friend and I bought 1 brick each WMSRL primers [From Midway] and they didn't work either. AR's, mini-14, H&R, Tokarev --- None of these guns. 1 in 10 went off the first time, a few more the second time

Boolit Master
    Following

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I am not saying that you do not have a defective primer batch; first there are some things that must be ruled out.

1)What equipment are you using to install primers into cartridge brass,and

2)how are you processing your brass including de-priming and cleaning?

In my experience Winchester primers fit the primer pockets tighter, like cci, is there any installation interference? (Dirt or crimped pockets, for example? )

When they are installed, are the primers seated below flush?

If the primers are not seated deep enough the firing pin or striker will seat the anvil into the pocket when struck, then the second strike, will set them off.

Does your ammo fire if stuck repeatedly?

What type of guns are you using?

Have you tried factory ammo in those guns to eliminate the guns as a failure point?

Have you tried that misfiring ammo in other guns?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had a similar issue with a brick of sci app. Out of 1000 primers I was lucky if 100 went bang! In 5 different guns! I was not happy with cci's response. Basically there tech told me "they never have issues with there primers " and implied that I didn't know how to prime brass correctly! Do you know how hard you would have to work to seat 1000 primers, so badly that 900 of them failed to go bang? In 5 different guns? I believe that they were packaged wrong. Possible military srp's (41's) instead of (500) spp's . I posted a thread detailing my dealings with cci about a year ago, if anyone wants the specifics.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Did you try them again?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I have used winchester small rifle Magnum primers in 9 mm and I have never had a problem with ignition, accuracy or cycling.

I had 4000 CCI primers get wet, the windows on my truck were left open, (woops!), and that night there was a major thunderstorm.

Cardboard packaging was distorted. I called CCI and they told me to just throw them away.

Yeah right.

I let them air-dry for several months in a Cupboard.

100% ignition in all pistols.

With some more information we can help you fix the problem.

My Smith & Wesson 38/357 revolver started having misfires, and when I removed the side plate to check the lock work, I found the hammer block was broken and peened, preventing the hammer from striking with sufficient force, the floating firing pin inside the bushing.

Sometimes these problems are interesting to resolve.

Be safe.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue once. I called and told my story to Winchester and they requested that I send them the misfired ammo. The conclusion was that I didn’t seat the primers deep enough. They said the primer cup should be 0.005” below the head of the brass. I began seating primers more aggressively and didn’t have any more issues.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I had a similar issue once. I called and told my story to Winchester and they requested that I send them the misfired ammo. The conclusion was that I didn’t seat the primers deep enough. They said the primer cup should be 0.005” below the head of the brass. I began seating primers more aggressively and didn’t have any more issues.
    I had a bunch last week in a 30 badger rifle. When I switched to the pistol - same problem. Led me to believe it was seating depth of the primer. Now I got to figure whether or not I want to attempt to reseat a primer on a fully loaded round - probably not. I deprimed a live primer, which I don't like to do either and reseated it and, miraculously enough it worked the third time around Guess I'll have to pull a bunch of boolits.