Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Area 419 Zero Reloading Press

Boolit Grand Master

Area 419 Zero Reloading Press

I was reading the rundown on this Area 419 Zero Reloading Press in the August 2021 Handloader . After reading 3 pages of glowing praise ... I got to wondering ... just how much does this thing sell for ... flip to last page and wasn't quite ready ...
    A brand new RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is available at Midway , right now , for $209.99.
    The Area 419 , you pay for it and it will be built and shipped in 3 months for ...$1,200.00.
    Holey Manolie ... I don't think there was ever a time in my life when I could afford to buy a reloading press that expensive ! They sell other stuff ...$40.00 funnel ... I had to stop looking . This old boy just drives an old Chevy ... them prices was way out of my league .
    If any of you buy one of these presses ... tell me how you like them and if they are worth $1,200.00 ... I'll never own one .
    My best presses are a Pacific Super Deluxe and a Eagle Cobra 300 . I'm not going to count my two favorite a pair of Lee Hand Presses or my Lyman All American Turret .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    read the review ,way out of my price .drive an old ford.

Banned

I read about those. I suppose if one were a fiercely competitive long range rifle shooter, and expense wasn't an object (that 1200 bucks is probably a small cost compared to the kinds of custom rifles guys shoot) it might be worth it, but it seems to me like most of us would gain more from the practice that all that cost difference being spent on components and more shooting would provide than a slightly better press.

I'm sure the quality is second to none. I'd like to see one and maybe load some ammo on it, but I sure wouldn't buy one.

While I have spend more than $1200 on various reloading presses, I would never for a turret press.

Boolit Master

I would at least wait for an unbiased review. all the media does anymore is shill for the advertisers and most of the so called reviews are paid for by the product they review.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

In school we called those people "brown nosers". They seemed to keep their noses up the crack of every teacher in school. The polite people called them a "click" but the effect was the same. I never let them effect me one way or the other, mostly just ignored them, same as I do with most of the gun writers today. james

Boolit Master

Most times I dont even beleive those expensive custom rifle guys using super duper expensive stuff are as good and necessary as they claim.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    This press is not intended to be used as a turrent press. It has the head so your dies are never unscrewed once they are set.

You use a torque wrench to lock the turrent. Its used more like a single stage press.

I would love to have one but keep buying rifles.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm sure the quality is second to none. I'd like to see one and maybe load some ammo on it, but I sure wouldn't buy one.
    Ammo is made in the dies.

All any press can do is push cases into a die and pull them back out and even the smallest, cheepist little Lee press can do that. "Quality" that means nothing in performance is just an ego feeding waste, not quality of results; I wouldn't buy one of those things if George Sorros gave me the money.

Boolit Master
    When I saw the price I lost interest. I use my Lee 4 hole Turret (cast iron) as a single stage and do not reset dies. I have turrets for most calibers I load. I have looked at the Redding and others but just have not seen the gain. On occasion I check cartridge straightness, more a matter of technique and setup than price of press. I have used single stage O style compound leverage - a Pacific like the RCBS, the Lyman 310, a Lee whack-em', the Lee Hand Press, Dillon 550 and a few different Lee turrets with setup more important than color, price or name. You can send a lot of bullets down range for $1200.

Banned

I read about that in Handloader magazine, way out of my ball park.

Boolit Master

Neat stuff, just a weeeeee bit out of my budget.

Boolit Master
    Not to get everyone riled up again, but check out the 1400.00 powder measure......

This press is not intended to be used as a turrent press. It has the head so your dies are never unscrewed once they are set.
    The “turret” part of “turret press” is the rotating holder or turret for the dies. If one never rotated the turret, they would have to move the dies over the ram another way.

Most times I dont even beleive those expensive custom rifle guys using super duper expensive stuff are as good and necessary as they claim.
    Some people just like blowing money. Get a Rolex and a Timex and put them in a drawer for two days, come back and the Rolex will be completely unwound and stopped and the timex still working. If the goal is telling time, the less expensive one might be the better choice. As far as reloading, I have spent more on presses but they also bring a lot more functionality to the process than a manual operated turret press.

As far as accuracy, to see “where the rubber meets the road” just look at what benchrest shooters use.

Even cheap arbor presses can make match winning ammunition with the right dies.

Been a lot of matches won with tiny presses like this one.

http://www.benchrest.com/hoodpress/hood_press.html
    Last edited by jmorris; 07-24-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Its a nice looking press! Area 19 makes some nice looking but expensive stuff. I'll stick to my 40+ year old Rockchucker.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have much of an opinion about equipment costs. I drive a Tacoma that cost me about $25,000.00 new and my buddy drives a Ford with everything included that ran roughly $70,000.00 and we both get to the range on time successfully. When I was in LA I saw a Ferrari parked at the indoor range several times. All our choices got us to the same place, safely and that was our choice. I use a Co-Ax to load some pretty accurate ammo and I'm sure a bunch of folks will buy the Area 419 and we'll both have the ability to assemble good handloads, we just have a preference on how we get there...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    No one buys a Rolex to tell time. No one buys a Ferrari to get around the city. Etc. Instead, such things are purchased to tell the world just ONE THING: "I have money to burn." I believe it only exposes emotional juveniles seeking envious approval from people they do not know and none of whom care a thing about them; sad.

If anyone wants to reload ammo, he should buy a reloading press, not a silly reloading status symbol.

Boolit Master
    Well I want a Rolex. It's top of the heap for watches in my opinion and I collect watches. If one felt the same about reloading equipment then this may be their Rolex. Why the following for Hollywood? I'd buy one...... and a Prazi, or a Corbin etc......
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Have you ever priced a Lenzi press????? At $925 its a steal.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a used Lee O press last winter. Works great cost me about $80, I'm the third generation to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast