WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumblers

Another Thumblers Tumbler fan,25 years and one belt. I’ve had 3-4 of the big name dry media vibrating machines ,hours and hours of cleaning to get what Thumblers does in a hour and half including media separation and drying. SS pins for bottleneck cartridges and ceramic media for big straight wall cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

For plenty of years I used a cheap dry tumbler. It was dusty, loud, but it did get the outside of the brass nice and shiny. It didn't do anything for the inside, or the primer pocket, and took 4-6 hours to really do anything. It was about this time I was learning about how much lead from primers ends up in that dust, that I started putting that tumbler in the garage. Media in the flash hole can be a problem, but sizing afterwards usually solves that. Eventually I just stopped using it.

Then I was turned onto ultrasonic cleaners. I was given one, and I immediately loved it. I had to try a couple solutions to find one that cleaned well, but with the Hornady brass cleaner, I could have 100% truly clean brass in 20-30 minutes. I used this for a while, maybe 5 years or more. I was completely satisfied. Eventually the person who gave it to me was getting back into shooting, so I returned the gift.

I then went to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. The one I had been using was discontinued. I found anything comparable was quite expensive $200+, although there are cheaper options. It was at this point I decided I was going to try wet tumbling. I went right for the best, and bought a Thumler brass tumbler back in the winter/early spring. Now that I have cleaned a few thousand cases, and got some time on it, I think I can give a proper comparison and review.

The #1 difference between the ultrasonic cleaner and a wet tumbler is the volume you can do at one time. While I can get fully clean brass from an ultrasonic cleaner in under a half hour, I can only do maybe 300 45acp cases at a time. If you overload an ultrasonic cleaner, it really slows them down. I also had to use Hornady brass cleaner, which is inexpensive, and works great. In the wet tumbler, I find it takes about one full hour to get a completely clean brass, however, with my Thumler tumbler, I could probably do 1000 45 acp cases at a time, maybe more. As long as it turns the can, it will work the same. I also have been getting great results with nothing but some dawn dish soap along with my stainless steel media. The drying time is the same for both types of units, which can be sped up with heat like an oven or heat gun, but I usually just leave them for a day in the sun if possible. If I need brass right now, I like to stick them in the oven at 150, or whatever the lowest setting is. They are dry in an hour. The cost for a good ultrasonic is comparable to a good wet tumbler.

Where I would recommend an ultrasonic is rifle shooters, or anyone doing smaller batches of brass. Beyond brass, the ultrasonic can clean any part that fits. I've cleaned a lot of carburetor jets, and other small parts in mine. You don't have to mess with media at all, which is not a huge deal, but it is still something that you have to think about. Where I would recommend a wet tumbler, is someone doing a large amount of brass at once. Even at my peak points in a year, I don't have a lot of reason to be bulk loading a ton of ammo. I usually load what I'll shoot in the short term. I don't load my years supply all at once, not that there is anything wrong with that. I was easily able to keep up with my ultrasonic cleaner. Even though you can only do, for example, a few hundred 45 acp cases at once, you can easily do 1000 an hour with one. Once one basket was done, I'd start the next right away. I would then rinse the brass, set it out to dry, and size/decap another basket of brass. By the time I finished, the batch in the cleaner was done. I would then repeat until I was done, which was not that long of a time. If I were cleaning say 10,000 cases all at once, especially if I were shooting 20,000+ rounds a year (which I don't), then a wet tumbler is the clear winner by far. There is one other advantage a wet tumbler has over an ultrasonic cleaner that is not to be understated. That is the longevity is going to be much better on the wet tumbler. While an ultrasonic cleaner has a decent life, I'm sure plenty get used hard for 10 years, I have a hard time believing that the majority of them are still going to exist 20+ years from now like most Thumler tumblers are.

For the price range you request, my recommendation is to forget cleaning brass. I didn't use a cleaner when I started reloading, and had no issues. I used a dry tumbler for a while, then quit, and again had no problems. The only ultrasonic cleaner I used, and the only one I can rightfully recommend is the Hornady lock n load magnum, a now discontinued all metal cleaner. It was ballpark $200 a few years ago. I see the new Hornady lock n load 2L cleaner is on sale at Midway for $127, although I have never used that one myself, so I can't endorse it. The Thumler brass tumbler was $220 when I bought it. It is a great unit, and I don't think you will ever find anyone who ever regretted buying one. It isn't as great for small volume runs, but it isn't horrible either. After an hour runtime with stainless steel pin media, and a squirt of dawn soap, the inside if the case, and the primer pocket are spotless. They don't hardly make noise either. One other thing, the Thumler tumbler is made in the USA.

I gladly pay $220, so I never have to touch another primer pocket cleaner again. That is easily the single worst chore in reloading, and these ultrasonic and wet tumblers completely eliminate that.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-02-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I made several over the years they worked ok, I stumbled on a Thumbler Tumbler at a good price a little while ago, I am very happy with it.

Boolit Master
    maybe its just me but I think thumblers are the original design of homeowner size of industrial device and Dillon, Lyman, rcbs, Hornady ect, are all just cheap knock offs of the original thumblers. I never used to clean my brass with anything but my lungs blowing the dirt out, a rag, and a primer pocket tool. till I found a thumbler that was I guess originally designed for polishing rocks or jewelry.. its got a real electric motor up under the hood, not a cheap open wound pole motor like are used in electric timers and clocks. a few 50 pound sacks of walnut and corn cob and a few cases of flitz later and the only thing different is I made an additional polishing machine out of an old paint shaking machine and the bottom 1/3 of plastic barrel for really large batches of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I made an additional polishing machine out of an old paint shaking machine and the bottom 1/3 of plastic barrel for really large batches of brass.
    I always wanted to try and get one of those and see how they work.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Dillon if you want vibratory, and that big one is the bomb. Rebel 17 if you want rotary.

Boolit Buddy
    The Rebel 17 is a great tumbler with the real bearings it uses. Second is the Thumblers model B with nylon bearings. Just make sure you get the one with the 3,000 rpm motor and not the 1500 rpm. Also make sure you keep extra drive belts(both use the same belts) on hand for unexpected shut downs. The drums are rubber lined on these and are very quiet I currently run four of these tumblers. Also you can buy citric acid (food grade) on Ebay at a very good price if you shop around. Buy the best quality you can afford and buy only once.

Boolit Master

My 'Smart Reloaders' tumbler quit after I don't know how many years (it replaced a Frankford Arsenal). Currently evaluating a Harbor Freight tumbler using their green pyramid shaped media. Will post results soon.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    For plenty of years I used a cheap dry tumbler. It was dusty, loud, but it did get the outside of the brass nice and shiny. It didn't do anything for the inside, or the primer pocket, and took 4-6 hours to really do anything. It was about this time I was learning about how much lead from primers ends up in that dust, that I started putting that tumbler in the garage. Media in the flash hole can be a problem, but sizing afterwards usually solves that. Eventually I just stopped using it.

Then I was turned onto ultrasonic cleaners. I was given one, and I immediately loved it. I had to try a couple solutions to find one that cleaned well, but with the Hornady brass cleaner, I could have 100% truly clean brass in 20-30 minutes. I used this for a while, maybe 5 years or more. I was completely satisfied. Eventually the person who gave it to me was getting back into shooting, so I returned the gift.

I then went to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. The one I had been using was discontinued. I found anything comparable was quite expensive $200+, although there are cheaper options. It was at this point I decided I was going to try wet tumbling. I went right for the best, and bought a Thumler brass tumbler back in the winter/early spring. Now that I have cleaned a few thousand cases, and got some time on it, I think I can give a proper comparison and review.

The #1 difference between the ultrasonic cleaner and a wet tumbler is the volume you can do at one time. While I can get fully clean brass from an ultrasonic cleaner in under a half hour, I can only do maybe 300 45acp cases at a time. If you overload an ultrasonic cleaner, it really slows them down. I also had to use Hornady brass cleaner, which is inexpensive, and works great. In the wet tumbler, I find it takes about one full hour to get a completely clean brass, however, with my Thumler tumbler, I could probably do 1000 45 acp cases at a time, maybe more. As long as it turns the can, it will work the same. I also have been getting great results with nothing but some dawn dish soap along with my stainless steel media. The drying time is the same for both types of units, which can be sped up with heat like an oven or heat gun, but I usually just leave them for a day in the sun if possible. If I need brass right now, I like to stick them in the oven at 150, or whatever the lowest setting is. They are dry in an hour. The cost for a good ultrasonic is comparable to a good wet tumbler.

Where I would recommend an ultrasonic is rifle shooters, or anyone doing smaller batches of brass. Beyond brass, the ultrasonic can clean any part that fits. I've cleaned a lot of carburetor jets, and other small parts in mine. You don't have to mess with media at all, which is not a huge deal, but it is still something that you have to think about. Where I would recommend a wet tumbler, is someone doing a large amount of brass at once. Even at my peak points in a year, I don't have a lot of reason to be bulk loading a ton of ammo. I usually load what I'll shoot in the short term. I don't load my years supply all at once, not that there is anything wrong with that. I was easily able to keep up with my ultrasonic cleaner. Even though you can only do, for example, a few hundred 45 acp cases at once, you can easily do 1000 an hour with one. Once one basket was done, I'd start the next right away. I would then rinse the brass, set it out to dry, and size/decap another basket of brass. By the time I finished, the batch in the cleaner was done. I would then repeat until I was done, which was not that long of a time. If I were cleaning say 10,000 cases all at once, especially if I were shooting 20,000+ rounds a year (which I don't), then a wet tumbler is the clear winner by far. There is one other advantage a wet tumbler has over an ultrasonic cleaner that is not to be understated. That is the longevity is going to be much better on the wet tumbler. While an ultrasonic cleaner has a decent life, I'm sure plenty get used hard for 10 years, I have a hard time believing that the majority of them are still going to exist 20+ years from now like most Thumler tumblers are.

For the price range you request, my recommendation is to forget cleaning brass. I didn't use a cleaner when I started reloading, and had no issues. I used a dry tumbler for a while, then quit, and again had no problems. The only ultrasonic cleaner I used, and the only one I can rightfully recommend is the Hornady lock n load magnum, a now discontinued all metal cleaner. It was ballpark $200 a few years ago. I see the new Hornady lock n load 2L cleaner is on sale at Midway for $127, although I have never used that one myself, so I can't endorse it. The Thumler brass tumbler was $220 when I bought it. It is a great unit, and I don't think you will ever find anyone who ever regretted buying one. It isn't as great for small volume runs, but it isn't horrible either. After an hour runtime with stainless steel pin media, and a squirt of dawn soap, the inside if the case, and the primer pocket are spotless. They don't hardly make noise either. One other thing, the Thumler tumbler is made in the USA.

I gladly pay $220, so I never have to touch another primer pocket cleaner again. That is easily the single worst chore in reloading, and these ultrasonic and wet tumblers completely eliminate that.
    Excellent post!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Okay, update time. The HF tumbler did just fine. The green media may be an issue, in that it works its' way into the cases (.30 cal.), and is a booger to get out. I will inform HF of this fact when I submit a product review. The cases come out clean, with a dull satin finish. The media is noisy, I guess from being plastic to plastic, so to speak. The tumbler seems to be well constructed. I am satisfied.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 25 year old Lyman Auto Flo 1200 that still works just great after all these years of moderate use. It was money well spent, and until just recently I used it regularly. The media I use is the walnut stuff from HF, and seems to be relatively dust-free. I add a small amount of Flitz polishing agent.
    These days I'm shooting more BPCR, so picked up a Frankford wet tumbler for a more thorough cleaning. It is astonishing to see how incredibly clean the cases are, inside and out, using just stainless steel pins and dish detergent. After I use the cases already cleaned in the dry tumbler, I'll probably decommission it and exclusively use the Frankford one.
    If I was on a limited budget for reloading, I'd check place like Craigslist online or garage sales for used tumblers, as they seem to come up for sale fairly often in my area.

I take it you bought the vibratory tumbler. If so, go to the pet store and buy a bag of their crushed walnut lizard litter. This is extra fine compared to what is sold for reloading and seldom if ever gets stuck in primer pockets. I don't load for bottle neck cases so I can't speak to that but doubt it would get stuck unless the case is wet inside.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I see the ongoing debate on tumblers still persist. My first Lortone was purchased in 1970. My model B Tumbler was added a couple of Years later. Both still running well . Reloader like one thing overall, cheap items. Reloading tumblers like the ones on the market are Poorly made , made to fail, made to be dumped. Quality tumblers are expensive but will last most of a lifetime with proper use. The quality tumblers are Lortone, Thumlers, Covington , Diamond Pacific.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Had Lyman 1200 for 38yrs. Thumblers Vibratory for 30yrs. Thumblers drum lining died after 10yrs. Left 300 once-fired .44Mag cases,with the rubber lining "glued" itself to each case. Scraped it off case by case with razor blade, scrubbed with steel wool to remove. A new drum was more then half the price of a whole new Complete tumbler. Bought a Lyman 2200 replacement drum, $20 shipped.
    Both tumblers are still running perfectly.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12