MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cast in a CZ .223 American

Cast in a CZ .223 American

Just getting started with this rifle. The boolit was cast in a genuine Walt Melander 72 grain with a D D band nose.

The rifle has a 1:9 twist. I was surprised it stabilized the boolit. Boolit was sized .225 cast of acww. Lubed with Ben's red and an overcoat of white label liquid. No leading. I am sure it can do better. These loads were left over from a AR project so today was just sighting in.

Moderator: if this belongs in the factory rifle section please fell free to move.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Good results-- and I wouldn't be surprised if it can do even better. I use a 225-55GC and a lyman 225646GC in my CZ 527, and I only do tumble lube. Quite capable of < 1" at 100 yards when I am having a good shooting day. They are great rifles and seem to do very well with cast.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    It's great that you are able to do that with cast boolits. But the .223 needs the velocity to achieve its potential. Even pure lino will not get you to 3000 fps satisfactorily from what I have seen here. But i am often wrong.....

Boolit Grand Master
    That is excellent for your first kick at the cat.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Now I need to chase up a mold for my Cz 527 in the triple deuce. I stayed away from .22 cal molds as I mainly saw poor results, I can work with your results!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You did good ! keep at it and woodchucks will tremble at the mention of your name

I have the old CZ with slower twist , it doesn't get run fast or with heavy bullets . Fifty-five or so is about all it wants at the speeds I use which is chipmunk safari loads .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    The CZ 527 is a very fine shootin’ stick in any caliber, I have one in 223 and recently acquired used one in 204 Ruger. That 204 had a history I knew well and it’s a certified fly shooter!

My .223 with J words seemed to improve accuracy as the round count went up, so my question is did you buy new or did you get a well broken in one?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    The CZ 527 is a very fine shootin’ stick in any caliber, I have one in 223 and recently acquired used one in 204 Ruger. That 204 had a history I knew well and it’s a certified fly shooter!

My .223 with J words seemed to improve accuracy as the round count went up, so my question is did you buy new or did you get a well broken in one?

Three44s
    I bought it used $570 otd. I honestly can't tell it had been fired. The bolt was rough but a few hundred cycles in the living room helped it a bunch.

I was looking for a Ruger American ranch rifle but I am not disappointed at all.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I bought it used $570 otd. I honestly can't tell it had been fired. The bolt was rough but a few hundred cycles in the living room helped it a bunch.

I was looking for a Ruger American ranch rifle but I am not disappointed at all.

My CZ accuracy seemed to improve as the round count increased. It was never poor but there was a bit of a breakin period.

A Ruger American Compact (also in 223) was the same way.

They are both gems now.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”