Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you save your spent primers?

Voters
386. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

226 58.55%
  • No

160 41.45%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spent Primers

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I know primers are still out of stock everywhere and the most reasonable posted price now seems to be powder valley at $80/1000 even though they are still out of stock.
    $200/1000 that is a bit above crazy. and to think just last week I was discussing with a local auctioneer of giving him a few thousand and maybe a few pounds of powder just to see what happens might be interesting or maybe I'll rethink the whole thing.
    You can sell eggs for 5 cents a dozen all week long, as long as you don't have any eggs.

Boolit Man
    Powder although scarce is findable if you keep checking Powder Valley and the L.G.S. shelves.
    P.V. recently got me a 5 pound tub of Accurate #2 as well as an 8 pound tub of Shooters World Blackout and 7 one pound tubs of H335 on one order for a very reasonable price.
    I got 2 lbs of HS6 a couple months back from a Bass Pro in Illinois, and saw an 8 lb can of H335 for $260 is range as well as a few more powders on the shelf at another sports store in Indiana.
    Still looking for small pistol primers as with these prices I'm not stocking up!

Boolit Bub
    Some powder has been hitting the shelves and primers too but some prices are out of control because of more recent price increases

Boolit Master

Yes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FABF23AB-0A90-48E5-BAF4-1FEE376C970B.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	312361

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Yes

Name:	FABF23AB-0A90-48E5-BAF4-1FEE376C970B.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	312361
    Could you imagin the BOOM if you shot it AND it were full of loaded primers?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by archangel2003 View Post
    Could you imagin the BOOM if you shot it AND it were full of loaded primers?
    If it were full of loaded/live primers he would be a millionaire!

If you save them.
    Keep them segregated.
    More and more people reload them, and they are worth much more segregated.
    I started segregating mine, but don't plan on selling them.
    I do have the means to reload them but have not done so to date.

Boolit Mold
    Mine go in the garbage

Boolit Master

I just dumped my spent primers in with my junk brass and sold them to a recycler yesterday

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesotam7 View Post
    Mine go in the garbage
    Amen
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

My closest recycler is over 4 hours away one way, in the trash they go.

Boolit Master

I have probably 1 gallon of Mixed (SP, SR, LP, LR) primers. Also have 1/2 pint containers of sorted (SP, SR, LP, LR) primers. I have been "Re-Manufacturing" primers off and on over the last 3 years; experimenting with a variety of techniques and compounds.

I have been using a short piece of railroad Rail as an anvil and a punch that fits inside the primer cups to pound out the Dimple in these efforts. Not really satisfied with the process and time it takes. I recently learned that NOE Bullet Molds has introduced a die set to process the Primer Cups. I ordered a set and am waiting for arrival in the mail.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/?s=Primer+Size+die

Looking forwards to trying this out on some of those spent primers - particularly since I have not been able to buy a "LARGE RIFLE PRIMER" for three years.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

So; the NOE Spent Primer Die set came in the mail yesterday. I got out 20 Large Rifle and 20 Small rifle spent primers and learned how to resize & remove the dimple indentation from the Spent primers. This process was "Far More Enjoyable" than the old process of using a punch-hammer-railroad rail as an anvil.

The below picture is of nine Resized Large Rifle Primers in a square on the left; and nine small rifle primers in a square on the right. Before sizing the primers - anvils were removed from all primers. Each of the nine primer cups have been resized and the dimple removed. In between the squares of nine primer cups; is a Large Rifle and a Small Rifle primer cup that has not been sized nor the dimple removed - for comparison. Double click the picture to enlarge.

Name:	Sized and Dimple Removed Primer Pic.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	312857

The resized primer cups all have the side to side dimensions now uniformed after sizing (dependent on the Large sizer and the Small Sizer they were run through). The dimple is also removed in the picture - but the remnant "SHADOW" of the dimple can still be seen in each sized primer cup. The dimple is almost indiscernible when looking at them physically first hand, as compared to the Zoomed Picture above. I did discover that removing the dimple was better accomplished by "Two Cycles" of the RCBS press arm to give a more consistent removal of the dimple. The NOE dies also put a slight raised curve at the top (as seen in the picture) of the primer cup.

In the next week or so I will see how these primers reload and how they work out in reloaded .308 and .223 rounds. I think they should equal or surpass the efforts I previously had in reloading primers using (a) Toy Caps, (b) Primer All Mix, and (c) H48 type primer mixtures. As the wise old sage said "We will See".
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 04-11-2023 at 02:01 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Please take used primers to a gunshow.
    People will be glad to trade you something for them
    Waste not, want not.
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Boolit Master

I have always saved them. Between worn out brass, berdan primed stuff, and .22's, it can really accumulate. Last time dropped off 3 buckets I got around $250. Those primers really fill in the cracks. Heavy buckets.

Boolit Master
    GONRA wants all you guys who recycle primer cups
    to wear the best safety glasses you can purchase! !!

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    So; the NOE Spent Primer Die set came in the mail yesterday. I got out 20 Large Rifle and 20 Small rifle spent primers and learned how to resize & remove the dimple indentation from the Spent primers. This process was "Far More Enjoyable" than the old process of using a punch-hammer-railroad rail as an anvil.

The below picture is of nine Resized Large Rifle Primers in a square on the left; and nine small rifle primers in a square on the right. Before sizing the primers - anvils were removed from all primers. Each of the nine primer cups have been resized and the dimple removed. In between the squares of nine primer cups; is a Large Rifle and a Small Rifle primer cup that has not been sized nor the dimple removed - for comparison. Double click the picture to enlarge.

Name:	Sized and Dimple Removed Primer Pic.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	312857

The resized primer cups all have the side to side dimensions now uniformed after sizing (dependent on the Large sizer and the Small Sizer they were run through). The dimple is also removed in the picture - but the remnant "SHADOW" of the dimple can still be seen in each sized primer cup. The dimple is almost indiscernible when looking at them physically first hand, as compared to the Zoomed Picture above. I did discover that removing the dimple was better accomplished by "Two Cycles" of the RCBS press arm to give a more consistent removal of the dimple. The NOE dies also put a slight raised curve at the top (as seen in the picture) of the primer cup.

In the next week or so I will see how these primers reload and how they work out in reloaded .308 and .223 rounds. I think they should equal or surpass the efforts I previously had in reloading primers using (a) Toy Caps, (b) Primer All Mix, and (c) H48 type primer mixtures. As the wise old sage said "We will See".
    This thing has evolved waaay beyond experimental testing of a few primers with matcheads and such. People have mini factories at home safely making hundreds at a time with actual commercially used priming compound. Some even have improved versions of the compound. There is a lee app setup called primer pro on etsy i think that preps the cups fast with the noe dies. There are trays used to fill them with primer compound 100 at a time too. A few have made dies that punch cups and anvils. Its american ingenuity, you arent selling primers? You try to price gouge? Ok ill find way so i dont need you anymore. I know a friend who spoke to a friend that talked to someone at the range.
    Last edited by almar; 04-23-2023 at 12:54 AM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    My local scrap guy wouldn't take my half a 5 gallon bucket of 209's. I used them as gravel in driveway. All the pieces in them are magnetic, so they aren't brass.
    Just to note many priming compounds do contain lead and putting in the driveway might not be the best idea. Mix them in concrete and the lead residue is less available to leach out into the environment. If you have a garden nearby, many plants can actively take up lead from the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    This thing has evolved waaay beyond experimental testing of a few primers with matcheads and such. People have mini factories at home safely making hundreds at a time with actual commercially used priming compound. Some even have improved versions of the compound. There is a lee app setup called primer pro on etsy i think that preps the cups fast with the noe dies. There are trays used to fill them with primer compound 100 at a time too. A few have made dies that punch cups and anvils. Its american ingenuity, you arent selling primers? You try to price gouge? Ok ill find way so i dont need you anymore. I know a friend who spoke to a friend that talked to someone at the range.
    What is "etsy"?

I have 1 and a half 25 pound shot bags full, i use them like sand bags. I am going to need to study up on the re-making of primers. especially the priming compound.
    The NOE dies are out of stock. But loks like something I can make in my shop. Have to study on that.
    Last edited by Rapier; 05-05-2023 at 03:13 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast