WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Looking for load data for .300BLK with Boolits

Boolit Mold

Looking for load data for .300BLK with Boolits

Hello All,

Can someone point me in the right direction for load data for the .300BlackOut using cast Boolits? Lyman's latest Cast Bullet Handbook doesn't have the .300BLK. Their latest AR Reloading Handbook 2nd Edition list only two cast bullet loads. I'm looking for data on Boolits in the 115 grain to 170 grain range. I would like to develop a load that I can shoot hogs with. I'm not interested in subsonic loads either.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

PS, I did a search of the forum and nothing really jumped out at me.
    Last edited by OutdoorDave; 08-05-2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added text

I have been working in the same direction, only interested in supers. Although, I have loaded a number of subsonic 150 grain bullets.

All of my loads are for the 30-30 bullet made by Berry Bullets-a swaged copper plated flat nose bullet, and a Hornady FMJ BT. Both are 150 grain bullets.

I generally use starting load data based on the weight of the bullet, regardless of weather it is cast, jacketed or plated. Then, I adjust/develop the load accordingly.

This is what I have found:
    All with a 150 Berry or 150 FMJ BT.
    Standard pistol primers and 5.7 Solo1000, 5.0 RedDot, 5.0 Clays, 6.4 Trail Boss all gave good 1000fps+/- performance with the Berry Bullet in my bolt action 16 inch barrel.

14.5 Alliant 2400 produced 1839fps with the Berry/bolt gun combo-I use a rifle primer.
    8.5 HS-6 yields 1365 FPS and requires a rifle primer to prevent primer piercing in my bolt gun.

In a 16inch AR15 with the 150grain FMJ BT and rifle primers:
    18.5 Alliant Reloader #7 = 1631 fps, the case is full.
    17.2 LilGun = 2005fps.

I have found that mid range load data for the 357 and a 158 grain bullet works pretty well for me as a place to begin guessing for a starting load when trying pistol powders in the bolt gun. I am sure it a rough estimate, but it works for me.
    Last edited by 1006; 08-11-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Boolit Man

Everything you wanted to know but are afraid to ask. I’ve been on the site for years:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

Frank
    USAF Retired: SAC Trained Warrior
    "Fighting for my 2nd Amendment Rights"
    WWG1WGA
    Where is Durham and McAfee? Asking for a friend…..

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the information. Which reloader are you using in your AR?

I've always thought that the .300BLK wasn't much more than a magnum pistol cartridge. I'm glad someone else thinks that way too.

Boolit Man

I use Lee presses on all my loads……

Frank
    USAF Retired: SAC Trained Warrior
    "Fighting for my 2nd Amendment Rights"
    WWG1WGA
    Where is Durham and McAfee? Asking for a friend…..

I use a Lee Classic Cast for all of the prep and primer install work.

Then I take the primed cases to my Dillon 650.

I have had a number of stuck cases in my Hornady size die. Close attention to the force required is needed. When in doubt, back out for more lube. This is complicated by the AR 15’s abuse of the rim, but the main cause is the generous chamber size that some guns have.

Nickel Plated brass gives me more stuck cases than plain brass.

As a hedge against the stuck case problem, I have quit using the expander ball. At one time I tried using the Dillon and running the brass trough a 223 die first, then through a 300BLK die in an effort to divide the resize stress between two steps, but the best solution has been to use a good lube-not Hornady One Shot, and size on the single stage.

I do not think precise neck tension is needed on this cartridge—it is only good out to 200 yards in my opinion. As long as it has tension, it is okay. I get groups of less than an inch at 100yards with my full power loads, and do treat it like a magnum handgun.

On the Dillon:
    Station 1: neck expander die
    Station 2: powder drop with 7.62x39 powder funnel.
    Station 3: bullet seat die
    Station 4: second bullet seat, I just like the holes filled.
    Station 5: Lee Factory Crimp Die to lightly flatten down the case mouth if needed.

If I were buying dies again, I would try the standard Lee dies, with an RCBS taper crimp die. Or the RCBS small base size and taper crimp die set combined with a Lee size die. The Lee die is a known good choice for converting 223 into 300, after cutting the 223 down to the proper length.
    Last edited by 1006; 08-11-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorDave View Post
    Thank you for the information. Which reloader are you using in your AR?

I've always thought that the .300BLK wasn't much more than a magnum pistol cartridge. I'm glad someone else thinks that way too.
    I consider it an Americanized 7.62x39.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorDave View Post
    Hello All,

Can someone point me in the right direction for load data for the .300BlackOut using cast Boolits? Lyman's latest Cast Bullet Handbook doesn't have the .300BLK. Their latest AR Reloading Handbook 2nd Edition list only two cast bullet loads. I'm looking for data on Boolits in the 115 grain to 170 grain range. I would like to develop a load that I can shoot hogs with. I'm not interested in subsonic loads either.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

PS, I did a search of the forum and nothing really jumped out at me.
    Data is out there for the 300BO

I would look for something 165g or heaver 170-180g
    do not try the rcbs 150g fn (30-30) it does not make it to the chamber... too flat nose

find accurate 1680 powder ....

work up some loads

the cci 400 primer is too soft

use a magnum or a hard primer or use the cci 450 or similar primer

use hodgdon data from the web. If you shoot cast fast you will need GCs. Mine are hog guns, 145 & 170gr flat nose. Lots of powders work. Cfe blk and 1680 burn dirty if not near max load. 100/296 is good but don't load light or compressed. I use standard or magnum CCI/win primes, no problem but hodgdon specs their loads with magnum. I PC (or use 2 coats BLL on GC loads). 2 ARs and a SS.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I'm sorry, I think I may have caused some miscommunications.

1006, in your first reply you stated,

"In a 16inch AR15 with the 150grain FMJ BT and rifle primers:
    18.5 reloader = 1631 fps, the case is full."

I meant, which "Alliant Reloader powder" do you use?

I did enjoy reading about all the reloading equipment that you folks use. I use a good ol Rock Chucker for most of my reloading. I have the RCBS small base dies in .300BLK since I load for several rifles. I have not loaded any cast boolits in the Black Out yet. I do appreciate all the information coming in.

Ford SD, What about the Lyman 31141? Or is it the 311041? Anyway, I'm talking about the 30 caliber mould that runs about 170 grains cast with a flat nose. Have you tried it?

Thanks again for all of your suggestions, thoughts, information and tips, and please keep them coming. I do need to get rid of a few hogs.

Boolit Master
    Ford SD, What about the Lyman 31141? Or is it the 311041? Anyway, I'm talking about the 30 caliber mould that runs about 170 grains cast with a flat nose. Have you tried it?
    have not tried it ... looked at it ...I think body too long ... nose too short ... where would you have to seat it to feed?

I'm liking 2400 under many loads for mine. 11 gr max for 180gr RD, IIRC 041 has a really large meplat that won't feed well. 1600 fps with the RD. Bullet is 1" long, seated 0.5" deep.
    Whatever!

My post should have indicated Alliant Reloader#7

Boolit Buddy
    .300blacktalk.com will give you all the data that you need for cast or jacketed in the .300 Blackout. I have used it for years now.

Went to register on that site, till I saw that it is not secure. Is that not safe?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    https: is more secure, it depends on how much security you need. If you're sharing 300 blkout loads with others, less security seems needed than if you're posting business secrets etc., though, to me