Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Mossberg 12 Gauge rifled, ported slug bbl

Boolit Mold

Mossberg 12 Gauge rifled, ported slug bbl

I do realise I can "slug" the bore; I contacted Mossberg and asked if they could give me the averages of their 12 ga cantilevered ported 12 and they said they do not know! however the twist is 1:32....looking to build a slug sizing die but want a starting point....have seen bore and groove dia all over the place. Slugging a 12 sucks! But it appear to be the next option....if you have pertinant info as to the Mossberg 12 Ga Rifled, ported please reply...TY
    Last edited by K75RT; 07-22-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Boolit Master

I never slugged mine but if you are so inclined, see if you can get some .735" round balls from Track of the Wolf. They'll go down pretty easy.
    Last edited by centershot; 07-23-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: I need to learn to type.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Mold
    Thank You

Boolit Grand Master

Far cheaper to get yourself one large fishing weight of near diameter. Any fishing supply place has them. Can increase diameter with a little vice squeeze or hammer wack
    Add a couple drops of oil and down it goes.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a suggestion posted a few years ago to take a slug or round ball, put it in a wad and push it through the barrel. IIRC it was suggested about 10 lbs of force was ideal (use a kitchen scale to measure). By measuring it you will get the diameter of the rifling. Then add the difference between the rifling and the bore to get the bore diameter. I would plug the muzzle about 1/2" back and pour Cerrosafe in to get the depth of the rifling.

I would be leery of driving a tight fitting slug through a shotgun barrel. Not much "meat" to them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Here's my .02
    Don't try to drive a projectile and slug through a rifled barrel, been there down that....

Take a .735 RB (pure Pb) a push/drive it through from the breach end using a wooden dowel, you'll be able to measure the bore size when you're done.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Or buy some cerrosafe and make a casting of your barrel at the muzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bore and groove diameters are all over the place in my barrel. It can be seen by just looking. Its wavy.

My Mossberg Cantilever 12 Gauge rifled, ported slug bbl works well following the Lee Key Drive loading data, when casting with the Lee mold.

The pure lead slug expands to the bore on firing. The plastic wad seals it.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, All