MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Wheel Weights Needed

Boolit Buddy

Info on Wheel Weights Needed

I have two questions that may (probably) have been beat to death. I'm sorting 6 gallons of WW's and finding a lot of WW with only a number No other markings so,
    1) how do you treat ww's with only a number and no other markings???

Also , finding several pieces of what appears to be some type of rubber stick-on ww. This is NON-SEGMENTED looks like it may have come a roll and the guy's just cut off the length needed so,
    2) Is this stuff any good for casting?????

I'm finding very little of the older type lead segmented ww's.

I know the stick on ww need to be done outside away from anything I don't want covered with soot.

Thank you'
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    Foam rubber type weights are not economically worth the effort for the little return of usable material.

The simple test for the other weights you mention is to "nip" them with side cutters to test for hardness. If they cut or mark easily with side cutters they are lead, if very difficult to cut, they are perhaps zinc or other metal. You might also check with a magnet on the end of the weight, away from the metal clip. Iron will clearly attract the magnet.

Boolit Buddy
    In my experience, many of the ones marked only with their weight are lead. They have a particular shape and there are zinc weights that have a very similar shape but the “shoulders” are sharper on the lead weights. The zinc versions typically have a tiny ZN below the number but some are tough to see through the paint/coating. Others are just missing as if it was scraped off prior to paint.

The foam type stick on weights are a no-go. Our shop used them for a while but they are a pain so we switched to stick on steel or iron weights. Those rubbery foam ones will make a mess of your pot.

Most ww today are not going to be lead based. If the buckets are from years ago, then yes, smash test or snip test. If it smashes/cuts it is likely lead based. Anything wrapped in rubber to me isnt worth the stink & smoke, but ymmv. tape weights should be tested the same way & the tape is also a smoky proposition but it can also be removed soaking for a bit in gasoline or mineral spirits.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B99D23B3-294C-443E-8647-01446FAE41FE.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	286442

Here is an example of what I meant by the sharper shoulder. Top is lead, bottom is zinc. This one is clearly marked as zinc but it’s what I had on hand and the shape is shared by other lesser marked zinc weights.

A pair of side cutters is a great way to learn which designs are lead and which aren’t. Eventually you’ll be able to ID them by eye and use the side cutters to confirm.

Boolit Buddy
    Also notice the lead is noticeably smaller than the zinc of the same weight. It’s another good hint

Boolit Master

James,

the very first sticky in the 'Lead and Lead Alloys' section is titled: 'Guide to hand sorting wheel weights'. Then scrolling down past the sticky's are a number of threads individually addressing you questions.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...nd-Lead-Alloys
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    FWIW when sorting I toss all the trash into one container(including rubber...), lead into another pile, questionable stuff into a separate pile to be tested later. I find it easier to sort everything rather than stopping every minute to test if something is lead.

Lead is very malleable and will deform easily if dragged across a concrete block with mild pressure. Zinc doesn't deform nearly as easily. Test a few known pieces and this test goes very quickly without use of a tool (other than the block).

If in doubt, drop it on concrete. Lead will make a thud type sound. Zinc will make a clink type sound.

I do the side cutter test 1st.

Those marked Zn or Fe go straight to the trash pile.

I separate the COWW from the SOWW. I treat the SOWW as pure lead. My favorite alloy is 50% COWW & 50% lead with a small amount of tin added.

Boolit Master

My scrap yard just told me this evening they are only paying $.05 per lb, which translates to sale price of $.10 per lb. I might have to go digging through them.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys, this is what I was thinking. I separated those that I pretty much know are lead in one bucket, those with only a number into a second, and the rest into the third, I'll throw the rubber soww into this bucket. I'll do a drag test on those in the second bucket tomorrow. Thinking about tacking down a strip of emery cloth to drag over.
    OLEY55, thanks for the reminder, checking the "Lead and Lead Alloys" forum didn't even cross my mind. Good sticky and a lot of information.
    I melted (smelted) some pure lead sheathing that I had into ingots today. Then mixed the little bit left in the bottom of the lead pot with some old fishing weights, and the few good lead stick-on WW I had and cast them. Only got about 30#'s. Probably not exactly pure but real close. mix it 20-1, powder coat and choot 'em.
    I really appreciate the help,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

You can't 100% tell by looking at them . Trust me on this ...

You can 100% trust a pair of diagonal cutters . You can cut a lead wheel weight .
    Zinc and steel can not be cut . You have to test every one in the bucket with cutters !

No If's And's or But's ... test every weight ! They will fool you every time if you don't .
    Testing with cutters is just too darned simple not to do it ... contaminating a batch of metal is foolish when the test is so easy to do .

As oldhenry says best all around mix is 50-50 COWW and soft lead (stick on WW , range scrap and scrap lead building materials )
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-21-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You can't 100% tell by looking at them . Trust me on this ...

You can 100% trust a pair of diagonal cutters . You can cut a lead wheel weight .
    Zinc and steel can not be cut . You have to test every one in the bucket with cutters !

No If's And's or But's ... test every weight ! They will fool you every time if you don't .
    Gary
    ^^^good advice right there. I agree with the exception of those wheel weights which show deep gouge marks from being pried off wheels. Also, rather than diagonal cutters I use the small hand pruning clippers. They seem to stave off the blisters better.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

For the soww's, an easy way to remove the adhesive is to let them soak a few days in garbage acetone, mineral spirits, etc. I just tossed all my leftover stuff in a bucket with lid and let them soak. Worked great.

Boolit Master
    I use a blade in my old swiss army knife. If it cuts and peels a bit, it's lead. If it skitters on it, it ain't. BTW on whether you can still get lead wheel weights - location, location, location. Here in the Arkansas Delta, I am still coming up with good wheel weights from the local farmer's tire shop.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    ^^^good advice right there. I agree with the exception of those wheel weights which show deep gouge marks from being pried off wheels. Also, rather than diagonal cutters I use the small hand pruning clippers. They seem to stave off the blisters better.
    Any cutter will do , small pruning clippers is great idea ... they are designed for more cutting .
    I've gotten to the point where I nip all of them even the ones that look like lead and have gouges ... I'm just a cautious person who doesn't trust anything but my nippers .

Louisiana hasn't outlawed lead yet and a bucket still yields more lead than zinc/steel . I'm sure that will change as we shift to the ...you know .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Here in Colorado I sorted through approx 400 lbs of wheel weights for 80lbs of useable lead which was a pretty rotten return on the time invested sorting them, I have since given up on wheels weights as a source of lead. As mentioned, ZN, FE and the plastic coated stuff went right in the trash pile. The rest were drop tested on my concrete floor and if I had any doubts I snipped them with shears. I will say though that if you can can get enough good wheel weights they are about as good as it gets for casting with just a bit of tin added.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    I have two questions that may (probably) have been beat to death. I'm sorting 6 gallons of WW's and finding a lot of WW with only a number No other markings so,
    1) how do you treat ww's with only a number and no other markings???

The number is the weight, either oz or grams. I make a test cut with a pair of dykes.

Also , finding several pieces of what appears to be some type of rubber stick-on ww. This is NON-SEGMENTED looks like it may have come a roll and the guy's just cut off the length needed so,
    2) Is this stuff any good for casting?????

No, it contains very little if any lead.

I'm finding very little of the older type lead segmented ww's.

I know the stick on ww need to be done outside away from anything I don't want covered with soot.

I just melt my stick-on weights like any others. As soon as it really starts smoking I'll light it. Thats helps with the smoke problem. I also live on the edge of town on a large lot away from any close neighbors.

Thank you'
    JAMES
    JAMESGR
    As has been said, location is important for wheelweights. I'm still getting 60-65% lead in the ones that I'm getting. Sometimes more. I'll probably quit when it drops to less than 50%, but I also consider myself to be a member of "The Lifetime Supply Club"!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I got about 25# that I feel sure a lead ww. I'll check those that are questionable using one of the cut test mentioned. Hopefully I'll be lucky and end up with 50# of useable ww's. MAYBE!!!!!!
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

I bought new tires last week and asked for some wheel weights. About 15# in a cardboard box. About 7# passed the tin snips test( thanks guys!)today.
    Pretty good deal for free, I think.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast