WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: BMT Mooner, just got one!

Boolit Master

BMT Mooner, just got one!

Boy, I have been shooting .45acp in revolvers since my teens and I have never seen any method of loading and unloading moon clips that worked so well.............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Moderator Emeritus

Having a revolver in 10mm Auto as well as one in .45acp I "discovered" a "mooner" and a "de-mooner" purveyed by Dillon. Using a gifted certificate -- must have been twenty-five plus years back -- I ordered the set, and have been most pleased with the de-mooner. I am not familiar with the "BMT" brand... might you provide a photo and or a link?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillon demooner.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	286419
    I've added a photo of the current Dillon product. An added note is I, too, love the de-mooner; mostly, however, I generally snap cases into the clips just with my fingers...
    geo

I second Gary's opinion on the BMT moon clip tool. I have owned and used several, including the one that George referenced, and the BMT beats all of them hands down.

The website is http://www.bmtequipped.com.

They look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.43.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	286420

You drop the cartridges in the trough, and simply turn the knob to load them into the clip. To remove the cases, you flip the unit over and spin the loaded clip on the back side to instantly pop them out.

They are relatively expensive, but after spending the same amount of money buying several other types of clip loaders over the years, I wish I would have started with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.45.39 AM.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    I love my BMT. It’s really fast to demoon then remoon a clip. You don’t even have to touch the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I found a good video on YouTube

https://youtu.be/mS8VjUbOEdM

The guy shows mooning then demooning a clip. Usually it’s the other way around. Put the clip with empties on the spinner and pop off the empties then turn the device around and load up the clip. Don’t have to touch the clip at all and it’s super fast and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have any info on the Uberti 45 Schofield 45 ACP setup that the BMT website references?
    I have never heard of a Schofield setup for 45 ACP.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Boy, I have been shooting .45acp in revolvers since my teens and I have never seen any method of loading and unloading moon clips that worked so well.............
    Thanks for info on this. I ordered one in .45acp last eve and am excited to receive/try/use it. It does seem "worlds" better than what I have -- the Dillon. On the other hand Jerry Miculek has, in one of his YouTube videos, comments that his favourite and used mooner/de-mooning tools are a pair of slip-joint pliers to moon and a length (~8") of hydraulic tubing to de-moon . Whatever works, eh?
    geo

Boolit Master

I used a set of needle nose pliers for years to moon and a piece of 1/2'' copper pipe to de-moon. Then got a better mooner in a deal when I bought a gun. The BMT is amazing.......
    Last edited by ddixie884; 07-22-2021 at 12:19 PM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

My son in law cut a piece of stainless tubing and welded the end up for me to just fit 6 .45acp cases in the tube. He cut a short step on one half of the tube to catch the rim to remove it. A simple twist does the trick and with very little effort. I drilled a screw driver handle blank from Craftsmen equipment to fit the tube, epoxied it into the handle and have been using it since the early 80's. Brownell's later brought out a copy of that tool and sold a bunch of them. It works great for de-mooning but does not help for the mooning process itself. I just ordered the mooner from BMT and now I wait to try it out. Thank you hporter for the link, it sold me. james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the Uberti 45 Schofield 45 ACP setup that the BMT website references?
    I have never heard of a Schofield setup for 45 ACP.
    The schofield set up is an altered cylinder to use standard moon clips......

T-K Customs machines cylinders.........
    Last edited by ddixie884; 07-23-2021 at 02:14 AM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I just bought a BMT for my 10MM GP-100. A buddy of mine showed me his and I ordered mine that day. What an amazing piece of kit. The kit is pricey bit worth it.

I should add Ranch Products is now making a .040 thick moon clip for the GP-100 to allow the use of 40cal ammo i the 10MM. The .032 clips made for the 10MM brass did not work in my GP-100 when using 40cal brass.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I also ordered a 45 Smith version after seeing this thread. I wonder if BMT notices a spike in interest?

Boolit Master
    Just visited the website and could not find one available for Ruger 10 mm GP 100 or SRH.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Just visited the website and could not find one available for Ruger 10 mm GP 100 or SRH.
    It is listed there. I ordered one. Use the L 40 6 version shown for the S&W L frame. It will do the GP-100 10 MM as well I am told.

I wanted it to load 40 cartridges for my GP-100 10MM. I plan on using the revolver in IDPA SSR Division.

Take Care

Bob

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

BMT Mooner, just got one!

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Having a revolver in 10mm Auto as well as one in .45acp I "discovered" a "mooner" and a "de-mooner" purveyed by Dillon. Using a gifted certificate -- must have been twenty-five plus years back -- I ordered the set, and have been most pleased with the de-mooner. I am not familiar with the "BMT" brand... might you provide a photo and or a link?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillon demooner.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	286419
    I've added a photo of the current Dillon product. An added note is I, too, love the de-mooner; mostly, however, I generally snap cases into the clips just with my fingers...
    geo
    I have that same set, purchased about the same time as yours from Dillon.

The de-mooner is California Competition Works.
    Last edited by Jtarm; 07-24-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I have had a BMT mooner/demooner for years and use it for my S&W Jerry Miculek 4" N frame and I love it , the only problem is I love using it so much I have been guilty of mooning all my clips and then demooning them so I can do it again as it is so much fun to use

Regards Paul .