Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: WTS--Antique General Store Shot dispenser

Boolit Master

WTS--Antique General Store Shot dispenser

I'll throw this up, don't have a lot of expectations, as it is heavy and bulky, and shipping is kinda prohibitive, in size, weight, and bulk. Best option is FTF, within 200 miles of Orange, Tx. Its a nice piece, for someone so inclined. Also, a nice piece for a skeet/trap club. Just whoever is inclined. It's in good shape, the only drawback is the right side (no pics) which is split. The wood on this thing appears to be glued up pieces. There is a split on the right side that seems to me like the glue failed because of time and wood shrinkage. An easy fix for someone with wood working skills. I could do it, but hesitant to refinish it, in any way. Wood appears to be Walnut. All glass and hardware is there, in good working order. Again, a nice piece, just needs to find a good home. I can send more pics via email, these are all that will upload on the site. Wanting $800.00 for it.
    Attachment 286416Attachment 286417
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

OK, I have never seen or heard of something like this, so a few questions;

This was so a customer could come into a store and buy a set amount of shot, rather than by 25 lb bags like now, is that correct?

Seems like there are hoppers inside and it is designed to dispense different sizes of shot?

How long ago were such things in use, any idea of the vintage?

That is pretty cool. It surely seems it would have collector value to the right person or club.

Boolit Master

Don't have all the answers. Not sure how long they were in use. A guess is that they were in use most of the 1800's. Made to dispense a small amount of shot for the poor folks to go try to put food on the table. Maybe trade some pelts for the shot. Money was scarce. I had an old friend who talked about trading rabbit pelts for .22 shells at the tribal store on the reservation where he was raised. Dad was not around, and he fed the family with them.
    These were quite common back in the day, from what I understand, started disappearing around the beginning of the 1900s. This one was in the antique store of a friend. (About 1966) Later in her house and then in her son's, until I got it. Except for the split wood on the right side, a perfect piece.
    There are 8 compartments, again, a guess, but probably, BB thru 8 shot, and then maybe 0, 00& 000 buckshot. All glass and hardware are there, hardware is in good working condition.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

4. 07-21-2021, 04:01 PM
    Reason
    Discussion

5. 07-21-2021, 04:42 PM
    Reason
    Discussion

6. 07-21-2021, 06:27 PM
    Reason
    Discussion

Unless you are posting an "I'll take it", or have a legitimate question regarding the sale, don't post in this thread. This is not a discussion thread
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.