Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saved from the mower

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We lived on the back of the farm for 45 years - sold and moved to town 4 years ago. At the old place, for years, we had a large snapping turtle that would come up out of the swamp every year and lay her eggs - unfortunately, the coons would find where she laid them and usually dig them up - often wondered just how many out of a laying would/could actually survive and hatch. I guess nature has its own pecking order though. I kept about 5 acres mowed but always allowed some areas of tall grass for the cpttontail bunnies and other small critters - also had a spot where I would pile up dead fall from the woods and lots of God's creatures called it "home". One time I was using the old 8N with a 5 foot mower on the back to mow weeds and get the thistles down in one of the pastures - I made a swath and for some reason looked back in time to see a beautiful skunk hightailing it out of where Ijsut mowed - fortunately, I didn't hurt it but it was as eager to get away from me as I was to get away from him!

Boolit Master

Our homestead in rural Mi. had a 3/4 acre pond. Early on my wife made it her mission to rescue ANY turtle she saw on the road. She insisted I show her how to grasp a snapper while keeping her thumbs intact. One snapper she ‘rescued’ had a shell 14 inches long. Had a box and my welding gloves in her car so she could give them a lift back to our pond.
    On a sunny day there’d be literally dozens of turtles catching some rays along the back side of the pond.
    To this day she still will attempt to rescue any turtle in the road.

I had several frogs this spring I relocated from my front yard while mowing along with a box turtle. Got a couple of turtles that make the crossing every so often.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have always liked all critters and especially snakes since growing up in the south Kendall area well below Miami Fl.
    we would sometimes catch a really nice Indigo and carry it to the Serpentarium for use in their school demos.
    Unfortunately, my red nose pit bull is a compulsive snake killer. It doesn't matter what kind, Garter, Green Grass, Black,
    or Copperhead, he whips them so fast that they almost break in two. He is a really sweet dog otherwise, and my good riding buddy,
    but any snake crossing my yard doesn't stand a chance when Butchy is on patrol.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12