Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My new Car Gun.

Kent: And thanks for posting that link to the Barrel Bending Jig. that was the only nudge I needed to figure it out!

If that choke adapter has a counter bore more than @1.5 times deeper and a couple of thou bigger than the diameter of the barrel, it will align just fine. I would sweat it on like you do with copper pipe fittings.(Silver bearing soft solder) It needs about .001 on a side for the solder to produce some capillary action.

JB weld would work as well, as long as you Sand Blast the area where the glue is so there is some surface profile for it to stick to. I've seen many sights that are glued to barrels using that stuff and it works pretty well..

Good luck.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-27-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

My ‘car gun’ is my ccw. A long gun in a car or pu seems silly to me. You need room to run a long gun. To have it secured in a locked box in the trunk in case you have to abandon the vehicle, maybe.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i just wanna know, Which Car???? i am hoping you are gunna say your Jeep! it would look good with a custom latching bracket!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

I hadn't thought of JB Weld. I wonder if that would be strong enough?

I doubt there will be a very strong impact and pull with such shallow rifling so maybe.

A friend of mine many years ago had a Polychoke soft soldered on a Winchester model 12. He had been shooting trap and had it wound down to full.

He took some 0.715" RB loads to the range after, forget to check the choke and shot his Polychoke downrange about 25 yards! Oops!

I don't remember if the ball was still in it but the choke was undamaged.

I don't want to launch my rifled choke tube and adapter down range!

Longbow

OK: after shooting the gun last week at the range and putting more bend into the barrel on sight it still shoots high. I have got .030 total into it now (with .250 deflection before spring back.) and the witness line on the side of the barrel is strait. Pretty sure the barrel is strait now, however I am not convinced that the rib is not influencing it as the barrel heats up.

Also something is wonky with these sights. It is almost impossible to get them aligned with the Laser dot bore sighter at 25 or so yards. the sight picture is always high in relation to the bore. I have some other barrels to try this on so I can figure out if the sights are partly to blame.

Anyway the fight goes on. I've got a bid in on the barrel Mega found on gun broker which is a 18.5" Slugster with sights. I want it!!!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

OK Finally got it to shoot right today. This barrel was still shooting high even after bending it .030 down last week.

It had a .060 gap between the Barrel Lug and the Mag Tube when cinched down.

In pictures you can see the GG&G Combo Sling Attach and Pic Rail which is supposed to be between the Thumb Screw and Barrel Lug However in order to get it to work with the gap I put it between the Barrel Lug and Mag Tube.

Today after doing a bunch of Cogitation and bore sighting etcetera I found that the part was made from .100 thick material, however the gap was only .060 so there was upward torque on the barrel with this thing installed. Hence even after bending the barrel down it still shot high.

I put a .7/16" SS Flat washer that is .055 in it's place and,,, Viola! It now shoots in the general vacinity of where it is aimed. Now I can make meaningful changes to the sights to get it closer. (Lee Slugs.)

I loaded up 10 lee slugs into AA hulls with 18 gr of Green Dot, a Blue wad with 1/8" card under the slug and fold crimp. I hit a Jack Rabbit sized steel target at @50 yards 3 times in a row offhand so apparently it is close enough for the 3 gun tomorrow.

So the "Monkeyberg" lives ! We'll see how it does tomorrow.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2157 (2).JPG  

It did just fine and I went 10 for 10 in the shotgun stage in 17 seconds, Then it also had 39 rounds of pistol attached to it which went on forever. The guy who sets up the stages obviously doesn't have many shotshells to shoot or he'd make the Shotgun Stage a little more intensive. The gun ran perfectly and it was a 6 in the gun to start, and then 4 port loads.

I actually started hitting the pistol shots better as I burned up over 100 rounds in the pistol stages, and was shooting my Ruger PC Carbine for the rifle stage.

It was all good fun.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Boy somebody's gonna have serious bragging rights if they break in and get that!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and.....

if you ever have to use that thang and they find this post....God hep ya.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy... you are having too much fun!

Also, good you got that barrel shooting more or less where you want. We'll be waiting on some targets with nice tight groups after you get sights adjusted!

Are you shooting Lee 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. slugs?

Longbow

1 oz. Lee Slugs. Still need to shoot it on paper and get the sights dead on. We'll see how it does.

I've got a bunch of slugs loaded to try in it and I also need to try the Carlson's Rifled Choke Tube and I am really hoping it works. This gun is the gun that is easiest to change the barrel configuration in. (Threaded Chokes)

If I can get it to shoot regular Lee Slugs with the IC choke, and Full Bore Slugs with the Rifled Choke Tube it would be a real win, that could be duplicated by others.

Randy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234