RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: .410 black powder blanks ?

.410 black powder blanks ?

I want to find a load to break a balloon at 7 to 10 feet with a .410 Stevens pistol. Store bought ammo is too much for the little gun as I don't want to shoot it loose. It is in good shape .

I know the mounted shooters use black powder blank to break balloons. So why would this not work in this pistol ?

Perhaps a REALLY light load of shot would work too . Anyone have suggestions ?
    I have loaded for 12 and 20 ga but this is a new one to me.

I have 21/2 " hulls , plastic wads and a LEE hand held loading kit. Also have the correct size punch to make wads.

Thanks in advance
    Range Gypsy

Boolit Master

Id say start small and work up accordingly, either try gluelets or the bare wad. Im not a shotshell reloader, but that's just my best guess.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Somebody once told me that the guys shooting balloons in the mounted horseback riding competitions load their shells with cream of wheat. I never confirmed that nor got any real details.

Before that, I always wondered how the guys in those competitions managed to break a half dozen balloons without shooting any of the bystanders that were surrounding the pen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CowboyShoot.JPG  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Somebody once told me that the guys shooting balloons in the mounted horseback riding competitions load their shells with cream of wheat. I never confirmed that nor got any real details.
    I can't say that all competitors do it that way but I've done it and it works. I used a caplock revolver loaded with maybe 25 grs. of 3f and the chamber plugged with Cream Of Wheat, heavily compacted by the rammer.
    <
    The COW Serves as a wad and it stays in place remarkably well even with the revolver holstered at a gallop. Like any wad it serves to hold the charge in place, increase pressure and give a good report. I doubt that the COW actually breaks the ballon. I can't prove it but I believe it's the hot embers from the 3F that pop the balloon. In either case, COW blanks in a repro .44 Remington work very well and throw a wide "shot pattern" that will reliably pop a balloon at ten feet or more.
    <
    Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    I once used tissue soaked with hot wax and rolled into a ball as wads for blank loads in my 1851 Colt replica, over ten grs of FFFG.
    These turned out to be potentially lethal.
    I shot one at the side of a steel trash can expecting to see the wad flatten on the metal, but instead it caved in the side of the trash can like I'd hit it with a ball bat.

Conclusion there is that a substantial wadding can deliver a very hard blow, perhaps hard enough to seriously injure someone.

I want to clarify, I am not intendng to shoot anywhere but at the backstop of our local range. I want to play with the old pistol, with out causing too much pressure. If this worked really well I may use it to open a cowboy action stage.

I have heard that it is the burning powder that breaks a balloon, But unlike a 45colt which can have a full case, the .410 has a lot more capacity. It would have to be filled with perhaps cornmeal . Then you would have the potential of the filler acting like a wad. This would not be a concern as long as it would pass through the tight choke on this pistol without causing a pressure spike.

Here is another option possibly. could I cut the hull to a shorter length , to accept only the amount of fffg required. then glue an over shot wad in place ?

I welcome your thoughts

Range Gypsy

Boolit Master

20-30 gr of 2 F
    1/8" or so wad
    Fill the rest of the case with corn meal or COW enough to crimp properly
    A thin over shot wad to keep the COW or corn meal in

Done the same with 20 gau to make dog trial pop ers

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Thank you John,

Update:

test load #1 worked ! 1 dead balloon at 10 feet ! with no recoil just lots of noise

load:win hull
    win 209 primer
    25gr Fg
    waxpaper
    lubed wonderwad ( I don't have a fibre wad in that size handy)
    compress
    fill with corn meal to crimp ring
    compress
    overshot wad
    crimp

Now I was wondering if compressed toilet paper would make more flame if substituted for the wonderwad ?

Range Gypsy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Range Gypsy View Post
    Now I was wondering if compressed toilet paper would make more flame if substituted for the wonderwad ?

Range Gypsy
    I accidentally started a fire with a tissue paper wad once. Tissue usually doesn't burn inside the bore.

You might try nitrated cigarette paper as used to make paper cartridges for C&B revolvers.
    There should be tutorials on nitrating the paper somewhere on the net.

I've tried regular cigarette papers and they don't work well, leaving smoldering remains.

Most powders generate only as much oxygen as they consume, which is why theres little burning of over the charge wads till they hit atmosphere.

The only thing you need is a paper overshot card- which is the thickness of index card paper- pressed firmly over the top of the powder.

Give Circle Fly a call and order some .410 overshot cards- a bag of 500 is about $10.00 plus shipping.

Old thread, but I was just researching .410 blanks.. and if you want a little spark to it at dusk/evening time.. instead of over powder card, just take a small bit of 0000 steel wool like the size of a pea, flatten it down in there. Looks cool from the side when someone else is shooting. Can’t tell much when you’re the shooter, especially with black powder. Also done this with 20ga blanks I made with Hodgdon Intl powder.. but for that one I just kept the steel wool kinda loose and mixed it down with the powder.. overshot card, then some corn meal and another overshot. Nice bang and a small little light show. Cheers.