Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new Car Gun.

Guys just for the record,,, I will only be driving around with this gun,,, "going to, or coming from the range." No matter when that is.

Also for the record most all of the local LEO's know my Jeep now, and know me. Luckily most of our Sheriffs Deputies are gun guys and we see them at the range.

And Capt: I'll be dropping by next week around Tuesday or Wednesday.

Another way to go for a Self Defense Weapon that nobody could do anything about is a "Super Soaker" filled with Hot Sauce ! You can buy gallon cans of serious stuff at Sam's Club for <$10. Got this idea out of one of my Survival Magazines!

Colorful Side Note: We have a Super Soaker and I actually shot the Lady Mayor of Santa Barbara in the ass with at less than 5 feet during the Summer Solstice Parade around the year 1995. It only had water in it that time, but she had white pants on which immediately went see thru when wet, and she had to retreat to her seat on the Float for the rest of the parade, instead of dancing around on the street like a friggin' 75 year old idiot who was sticking her butt in my face!. (Super Soakers were were permanently banned at the next City Council Meeting!).

Side Side Note: I have other stories about the use of Super Soakers at that parade which make this one look tame! There were things in that parade that really pushed the boundaries of common decency!
    And I was vigilant, and I could go on!

I haven't actually loaded it with Mega Tabasco Sauce yet but the concept is certainly sound. A face full of that stuff would surely end your assault. I doubt there is any way that could be considered an Illegal Response to an aggressive act. Really would have liked to deploy it at some of those riots we saw last summer in Portland and Seattle.

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-22-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost: Thankfully you have chimed in. I remember one of your early articles for the Rifleman. In the process of modifying a Savage Camper's Companion, you described the method used to attain a jug choke. Please help these guys out.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    In the communist state of MI, I cannot carry a loaded gun in a vehicle unless it is a concealed pistol.

It is really disappointing as I would like to have something in the SxS when we are cruising the back roads and logging trails in case we have an issue with two legged problems, a bear, coyotes or wandering dogs. A pistol is fine for me but I worry when my fiancé when she the grandkids for a ride.

I would also like to have an old .30/30 (I picked up cheap) stashed in the truck at all times. It would make a perfect truck gun.

Randy, just wondering why you did not consider a ghost sight? I like simple for SD stuff and have been thinking of adding them to our shotguns. Like you, I am a big fan of the Mossberg 500's for that use.

You did a nice job on yours!
    I live in Mi. also. If you really want a legal loaded shotgun in the cabin of your car/truck, there are options.
    https://americanguncraft.com/product...hotgun-pistol/
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...l-12-GA-pistol
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...usion-deringer
    https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/...version-pistol
    https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...cussion+Pistol
    https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...STOL+.58+X+.58
    I played with black powder pistols quite a bit some years ago. They're no joke. I started with a CVA Kentucky .50cal. pistol kit. After shooting it for a couple years, I bored it out to .54 smooth and took rabbits and a couple partridge with it. It worked so well, I decided to upgrade to a Harpers Ferry. I had years of fun with it, and then regrettably sold it. Wish I had it back. I'm currently taking a hard look at that Desperado in 20ga.
    Any of these pistols are legal pistols for concealed carry in Mi. A stout load of BB's at close range out of a .54 will make any sized bad guy change his plans. Plus you get the added benefit of the smoke screen and confusion to get to your 1911.
    I just checked the Dixie site. Harpers Ferry is in stock for $675.00, Tempting.....
    Last edited by fastdadio; 07-23-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    George, since COVID I've noticed lots of NY plates appearing among my neighbors who apparently moved full-time into their weekend cabins and cottages, doing the remote access thing. Several have since re-registered their vehicles and changed their legal residence to West Virginia so that they could legally buy guns and carry them anywhere except the courthouse, airport, a school or the post office, without a permit. Several I have met and talked to say they have taken the sacred oath to be Mountaineer football fans for life, having found voice coaches to lose the Yankee nasal whine and even got new wardrobes at Tractor Supply and have sworn never return to the big city.
    Now if you you could only get them to vote republican.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I was talking to Cody at Vang Comp yesterday and he was talking about doing something like you suggest, Didn't call it "Jug Choking" but I see what you are saying. I had no idea this concept existed. However since I already know it would be problematic to bore a hole starting 2" behind the muzzle and then going back another 2" I see boring bar chatter big time! There would be no way to remove it other than honing the hell out of it in which case I could control what is going on very well. I can get my barrel done with the choke tube Mod and Lengthening the Forcing Cone for around a $100.

Also FY all of us ,,, Hans Vang moved Vang Comp to Las Vegas a few months ago, and they are up and running. Lots bigger gun market in Vegas than Chino Valley AZ, (about the same temps!) So it should be a good thing, and I can go visit any time I go to Vegas. I like this outfit alot and everything they have done for me so far has worked as advertised!

Randy
    Randy ,
    They used to call it a recessed choke when I was a kid . My dad buggered up the first 2" of barrel on a 30" full choke 870 back in the early 60's and decided to make a 26" barrel out of it and had my pap hone a recessed choke(Jug) in it for him . It was banned from competing at the Turkey shoot at Sewart Air Force Base in Smyrna Tennessee . The only time they let him shoot it he won all the Turkeys and all but one ham . They said " You are welcome to shoot here anytime you want Ed , just leave that gun at home ." Still the tightest shooting shotgun I ever fired .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    In Louisiana your vehicles are considered an extension of your home. So if it's legal in your home (no full autos) then it's legal in your vehicles. Course if you have a concealed carry permit you carry concealed. But if carrying concealed, you do have to tell the deputy or trooper you have a concealed handgun on your person and have a permit/license. Frank

The Barrel went to Vang Comp today to get threaded for Rem Chokes. It wouldn't fit thru the spindle of my lathe so I couldn't bore it and so the Threaded Choke became the next best answer.

It should be back by the end of the week, and I'll post pics of the completed project.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Well the barrel is due back Tuesday. I got a Carlson IC Choke Tube, a Tube Wrench and a Rifled Choke Tube off Amazon today. Really interested on how well the gun will shoot slugs with the IC Choke Tube, or the Rifled Tube.

Hoping to get good tight patterns of 00 Buck as well.

Looking forward to patterning and sighting in the gun when Our Range opens back up after the 17th. Unless the Recall Election goes for Newsome, in which case he will shut the entire state down and we'll be locked in our houses til 2025.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

That's a rough deal. Is shooting not allowed on National Forest there, outside of hunting? I guess I don't know why I'm asking, it's CA.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That's a rough deal. Is shooting not allowed on National Forest there, outside of hunting? I guess I don't know why I'm asking, it's CA.
    No, it's allowed, but all our local gun clubs are located in National Forests and they closed them supposedly due to the fires already going due to poor Forest Management. They simply don't have enough resources to fight any more fires. It is dry as punk here right now, and we got shorted on Rain this year big time so it remains to be seen how this plays out. If Newsome survives his recall election on the 14th he will shut this state down completely. Just watch and see..

I got my barrel back today, and it came out great. Put the sights on it and made a spacer to shim the barrel lug so there's no gap.

The Sights look OK but they sit a little high for my taste so I will probably do something different down the road. They are good enough for now.

I got a Modified Choke Tube in the deal, and I ordered a Carlson IC Choke Tube ($20)which should be here tomorrow. I also ordered a Carlson Rifled Choke Tube ($54) and one of their cool Crank Type Tube Wrenches ($20). I can use that for all my shotguns with interchangeable chokes.

Very interested in seeing if the Rifled Choke Tube has a decent affect on slug accuracy. If it does then this barrel set up will be the way to go for many others with M500's or Rem 870's.

Longbow: Does your Mossberg 500 have interchangeable Choke Tubes? If it does, $50 for a rifled choke tube would be much easier than trying to make one.

I'll know soon if they actually work and I have no reason to think they wouldn't as they are just an evolution of the Paradox Barrels of old.

Will keep everyone posted. Here's some pics of where I'm at right now. It does look cool with the Sights on the Vent Rib!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2172 (2).jpg   IMG_2159 (2).JPG   IMG_2154 (2).JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-06-2021 at 09:41 PM.

OK this device was kind of neat. It is a combo Pic Rail, and Forward Sling Attachment Point. This thing worked out well because this barrel had about a.055 gap between the barrel lug and the end of the magazine when everything was tight. Not OK.

Normally the GG&G part goes between the Barrel Lug and the Thumb Knob on Barrel Bolt. It has detent holes in the part that take over for the ones on the barrel lug. However after making a .060 shim to go in between the barrel lug and magazine end with the device in it's proper place I found I only had about 1 1/2 threads on teh bolt holding the whole thing together. That sucked big time and I could just see my barrel flying down range during a shoot.

So I got rid of the spacer I made and put the Device in the gap and everything worked out fine. It is not captured by the Thumb Knob like on my other gun but no problem. It also acted as the spacer I needed to fix the gap, so all is well.

This allows me to attach a sling to the gun in a proper position. Waiting on new sling material to come next week so I can make some more slings. (available at buchananprecisionmachine.com)

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2157 (2).JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Well the barrel is due back Tuesday. I got a Carlson IC Choke Tube, a Tube Wrench and a Rifled Choke Tube off Amazon today. Really interested on how well the gun will shoot slugs with the IC Choke Tube, or the Rifled Tube.
    Anxious to hear your report.

I put a rifled choke tube (forget who made it) in my 12 ga A5 w/ 28" bbl and it shoots lights-out ... so well, in fact, that I considered hot-glue-gunning a peep sight onto the back of the receiver when deer hunting. Wouldn't hesitate to use it at 100 yds.

Got another piece of the puzzle today. The Carlson Rifled Choke Tube came in the mail.
    I immediately installed it and it sticks out about 7/8" beyond the muzzle but has about 2" of Rifling. Can't wait to try it out at the range.

Hoping to duplicate the results of the Paradox barrels of old !

I am expecting big things from this gun. I went in a completely different direction on this barrel with Screw in Choke Tubes that can easily be changed out in seconds to get different results from slugs, buckshot and bird shot.

Instructions on the tube say it can be used with Slugs, Sabots, Buck Shot and Bird Shot. Steel Shot or otherwise. Anxious to see exactly what that means so I will be at the patterning board at the range for a while. I have lots of different ammo to try, and will report back results.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-18-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Car gun= Trunk Monkey

I nicknamed my "car-gun" the "trunk monkey" because of this commercial;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQk11hJVVk
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

So here's a pic of the Rifled Choke Tube mounted on the gun. It is pretty unobtrusive and it sticks out about 7/8" beyond the muzzle. It was $54 off Amazon hope it's worth it.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2202.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

My slow twist choke tube has been "on hold" since the cutter jammed and pulled the choke tube out of position so out of time without me realizing it. Kinda mucked up the rifling I had cut. Since I was going for deep groove rifling I may be able to salvage the choke tube I started but... I bought a Carlson's rifled choke tube and silver solder on adapter to try out the modern rifled choke tube.

Some people say they work well and some say they don't.

Rifling is shallow and very fast for 12 ga. full bore slugs but I figured I should try before I spend any more time making my own rifled choke tube.

No, my Mossberg Slugster is cylinder bore all the way.

I don't have any shotguns threaded for choke tubes. Since threading runs about $185 I decided to buy a Brownells solder on adapter for about $20. The idea is to turn the muzzle down to suit adapter I.D. then silver solder the threaded adapter onto the barrel.

I decided to turn an adapter that fit the barrel O.D. and silver solder that and the choke adapter to the barrel. That way I can removed it all if it doesn't work.

With such shallow rifling and fast twist of 1:36" I have to think the best chance for success will be with full bore slug or round ball. I am thinking round ball in shotcup or wad slug won't get enough grip on that shallow rifling. Maybe if the slug/wad is a crush fit and has longish bearing surface.

You will beat me to it since you are all set to go. I have the barrel adapter rough turned but still have a ways to go then have to get that and the threaded adapter lined up to the bore for silver soldering.

I've had everything for about a year and got started but not yet finished.

I'm slow!

Too many interruptions and too many things on the go!

I'll be interested to see your results when you get to the range.

I suspect you'll get best results with your Slugs R Us clone or the Lyman sabot slug in a tight fitting wad and knurled driving bands.

I intend to use 0.735" RB's and my full bore slugs when I finally get that rifled choke tube installed.

Please keep us posted on your results!

Longbow

I love what you've done with the Monkeyberg.
    Things are about the same here as they've been. I'm getting by with a folding .410 right now but my 18" 12gauge 870 fits right in behind the seat-right beside the 19" Tikka 22-250.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

So I got to shoot the gun last Thursday, had one big problem. it shoots way high. I think the barrel is bent up but it is a small mount so it's hard to tell just by looking at it. I tried many ways of inspecting it but nothing is definitive enough to make a move that might ruin the thing for good.

The reason I think the barrel is bent is because the Barrel Lug is .060 away from the front of the magazine when the Barrel Thumb Screw is tight. If I had to call it I'd say the barrel was previously bent at the Barrel Lug similar to what happens to Ithaca M37's frequently.

Open to suggestions as to how to bend it back, but I'm probably cogitating on it alot today while in the shop and dealing with this other problem.

We have some Large Varmint that has taken up residence in our front yard, so I've got to deal with that first. I think it might be a Badger which could be a problem. I don't know anything else in SoCal that burrows and makes holes that are 6-8" in Dia.?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2203.jpg  

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Surely you guys have ground hogs.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Nope no Ground Hogs in Southern California. Turned out to be a bunch of Ground Squirrels living in that hole. I got one shot off on one of the bigger ones at about 30 yards but missed him He ran back across the street! The others were all Chipmunk sized critters and pretty small targets. It must be a lean year because none of the Ground Squirrels I have seen have been more than about 8" long..

They migrated in from across the street. I think there was something bigger trying to dig them out of that hole as the hole was definitely bigger than Ground Squirrel sized holes in the yards across the street. I ended up redistributing the dirt over the top of the hole and surrounding area and hosing it down pretty well.

We'll see in the coming days if it gets opened back up.

Randy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast