RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationADvertise here
Reloading UKTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: My new Car Gun.

  1. #1
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    8,856

    My new Car Gun. The Monkeyberg!

    Since things are heating up here in CA I decided I needed a shotgun in my car. I found a Western Field (wards)550 for $300 and have modded it to my personal specs. A few things left to do to it but it is pretty much complete except for the barrel mods I want to do.

    Since the gun is a Mossberg 500 with a different roll stamp on the receiver, I am calling it the "Monkeyberg." All the Magpul Furniture up grades fit perfectly. It also got the Magpul adapter for larger aftermarket Recoil Pads like this Limbsaver. So it got Magpul Furniture, a 3" Pic Rail for a light on the bottom of the fore end, a High Ridge Safety, and an 18.5" bbl.

    It also got a Complete Action Job consisting of deburring all internal parts, including the Op Rods, Bolt and Bolt Latch and modding some of the small parts so they ran smooth. The Lifter had to be tweaked so Shells would go in and not catch on the back point and unload without getting hung up on the Front Edge of the part. See pic.

    This is the third gun I've done this process to and I already know it will run just fine. The gun runs super smooth and will get better after about 4-500 rounds thru it.

    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2124.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	286389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2114.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	286390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2118.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	286391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2119.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	286392  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-03-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Winger Ed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just outside Gun Barrel City, Texas
    Posts
    4,634
    Cool.

    I always liked having a pistol grip, 18" open cylinder, and full length magazine tube on ones like that to keep in the truck.
    Political Correctness and the cancel culture is only allowed to exist because of the coward culture.


    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

  3. #3
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    8,856
    Ed: The Magpul Stock has a nearly vertical pistol grip which along with the rest of the buttstock lends itself to better target acquisition and faster follow up shots and better accuracy than a dedicated Pistol Grip.. I can get 3 targets in 2.1 seconds every time with these pump guns. I consider these guns to be .73 caliber rifles and can perform just like a Rifle out to 100+ yards in guns like this. Big difference is that we are launching 4-500 gr slugs and Buckshot Payloads.

    This gun will also get Rifle Sights on it as soon as I decide how I want to do it.

    Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,377
    Sure looks like you can repel boarders with that.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Lowcountry
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Sure looks like you can repel boarders with that.
    Bayonet lug?

  6. #6
    Vendor Sponsor


    DougGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    just above Raleigh North Carolina
    Posts
    6,364
    Boy somebody's gonna have serious bragging rights if they break in and get that!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

  7. #7
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    98
    Times have changed we used to always keep a hand gun in the car now its hand guns and short rifle and a short shotgun .

  8. #8
    Boolit Master


    BigAlofPa.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Shamokin/Coal twp Pa.
    Posts
    1,537
    Things are getting worse here. I don't keep a gun in my vehicles. But i did change up my carry from pocket .To a small holster OWB for my Taurus spectrum. Much quicker draw. Im going to get a vehicle holster too for another gun. Not sure on the gun yet. Maybe one of my 1911's. Trying to figure where to put a lock box too. My new car has no room under the seats. It has auto tensioners for the seat belts.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master

    Hogtamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East central GA, Appling near Augusta
    Posts
    2,985
    Oh how I was mocked a couple of years ago for saying my carry gun was a 12 ga! My how times have changed. It’s a beauty too! New extractor, ejector and left side rail…..Steal this one and I’m out a hundred bucks but runs slick as snot. Found in a barn and was given to me because it wouldn’t pump!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

  10. #10
    Boolit Master Cap'n Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,284
    This gun will also get Rifle Sights on it as soon as I decide how I want to do it.
    Not much to decide, really: Holosight! Leupold, Docter or similar low-rider. Not the clumsy EOTech monstrosities.
    Cap'n Morgan

  11. #11
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    8,856
    After doing 6 Shotgun classes at Front Sight I have gotten the hang of running a Pump Gun. I can get 3 targets in 2.1 seconds every time. Can't seem to get the 4th one by 2.7 seconds ! usually ends up about 3.0 on that one. I can get them all everytime with my A5 and that's why I got it.

    I am looking at taking the 28" vent rib barrel that came with the gun and cutting it to 18+" or just in front of the closest rib standoff.

    Then a Green Fiber Optic Front Sight and some kind of a notch in the back for a rear sight on top of the rib..

    In the barrel I'm looking at having the Forcing Cone extended and the Muzzle threaded for Choke Tubes. I want to run an IC Choke Tube. This should make this gun pattern Buckshot nicely and shoot Lee slugs well.

    The Load I'm using for my Lee Slugs right now works in the A5 with the Buck Special Barrel which is essentially a long forcing cone with standard bore and IC choke built in. But they don't shoot well in the Vang Comped Barrels due to the back boring. The slugs are .015-.020 smaller than the bore and that don't work.

    Those barrels both shoot buckshot into 7" at 25 yards and I'm sure after I play with the Lee Slugs a little more I can make them shoot well. I just didn't want many different loads for different guns. I kind of like having everything knocked down to what is essential and works and the rest can just go away.

    Anyway that's what is on the menu for this one.

    Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  12. #12
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aberdeen, South Dakota
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    After doing 6 Shotgun classes at Front Sight I have gotten the hang of running a Pump Gun. I can get 3 targets in 2.1 seconds every time. Can't seem to get the 4th one by 2.7 seconds ! usually ends up about 3.0 on that one. I can get them all everytime with my A5 and that's why I got it.

    I am looking at taking the 28" vent rib barrel that came with the gun and cutting it to 18+" or just in front of the closest rib standoff.

    Then a Green Fiber Optic Front Sight and some kind of a notch in the back for a rear sight on top of the rib..

    In the barrel I'm looking at having the Forcing Cone extended and the Muzzle threaded for Choke Tubes. I want to run an IC Choke Tube. This should make this gun pattern Buckshot nicely and shoot Lee slugs well.

    The Load I'm using for my Lee Slugs right now works in the A5 with the Buck Special Barrel which is essentially a long forcing cone with standard bore and IC choke built in. But they don't shoot well in the Vang Comped Barrels due to the back boring. The slugs are .015-.020 smaller than the bore and that don't work.

    Those barrels both shoot buckshot into 7" at 25 yards and I'm sure after I play with the Lee Slugs a little more I can make them shoot well. I just didn't want many different loads for different guns. I kind of like having everything knocked down to what is essential and works and the rest can just go away.

    Anyway that's what is on the menu for this one.

    Randy
    Being as you are a machinist, maybe you could try jug choking a barrel yourself. The idea is the same as constricting chokes, except you are relieving an area just shy of the muzzle so the shot expands, then contracts down again choking it. You would need to remove .010" for an improved cylinder choke. This is mostly a muzzleloader thing, but I see no reason at all you couldn't do it to a shotgun barrel such as this. The main benefit for a muzzleloader is you can have any choke constriction you want, and it is still as easy to load as a cylinder bore. A secondary benefit is that they shoot a round ball pretty much as well as a straight cylinder bore. I'm sure there are detailed measurements out there, but a very rough guestimate from the couple jug choked guns I have, they have a relieved section about 2" long, leaving maybe 1/2" or so as a straight parallel (original bore diameter) right at the muzzle. Both sides of the relief have to be tapered to allow the shot to flow smoothly. I've even heard of people modifying a brake hone, and using that.

    If you were going to lop off that much barrel anyway, you have plenty to practice with.

  13. #13
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    8,856
    I was talking to Cody at Vang Comp yesterday and he was talking about doing something like you suggest, Didn't call it "Jug Choking" but I see what you are saying. I had no idea this concept existed. However since I already know it would be problematic to bore a hole starting 2" behind the muzzle and then going back another 2" I see boring bar chatter big time! There would be no way to remove it other than honing the hell out of it in which case I could control what is going on very well. I can get my barrel done with the choke tube Mod and Lengthening the Forcing Cone for around a $100.

    Also FY all of us ,,, Hans Vang moved Vang Comp to Las Vegas a few months ago, and they are up and running. Lots bigger gun market in Vegas than Chino Valley AZ, (about the same temps!) So it should be a good thing, and I can go visit any time I go to Vegas. I like this outfit alot and everything they have done for me so far has worked as advertised!

    Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  14. #14
    Boolit Master Traffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,689
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Boy somebody's gonna have serious bragging rights if they break in and get that!
    Ahhhhahahahahaha....Good one.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aberdeen, South Dakota
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I was talking to Cody at Vang Comp yesterday and he was talking about doing something like you suggest, Didn't call it "Jug Choking" but I see what you are saying. I had no idea this concept existed. However since I already know it would be problematic to bore a hole starting 2" behind the muzzle and then going back another 2" I see boring bar chatter big time! There would be no way to remove it other than honing the hell out of it in which case I could control what is going on very well. I can get my barrel done with the choke tube Mod and Lengthening the Forcing Cone for around a $100.

    Also FY all of us ,,, Hans Vang moved Vang Comp to Las Vegas a few months ago, and they are up and running. Lots bigger gun market in Vegas than Chino Valley AZ, (about the same temps!) So it should be a good thing, and I can go visit any time I go to Vegas. I like this outfit alot and everything they have done for me so far has worked as advertised!

    Randy
    Possibly a typo, but to clarify, you would be boring starting only 1/2" from the muzzle, and going back. To be honest, I don't know a good way to do it, as I've not done it myself. I figured I'd throw it out there incase you had an idea. I believe the common redneck way is a brake hone. The guys who do jug chokes for a living I'm fairly sure use some kind of expanding reamer.

    You know me, I do everything I can to avoid having thread in chokes. I can't find anyone who will install a Polychoke anymore, even when I bring them all the parts. I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to be done, else I'd do it myself. It appears there is some kind of collar you solder on, and the outside is threaded. The poly choke is then threaded onto that collar. I could be wrong. The only reason I bring this up is that I threaded my 590 with the intention of buying a thread in PolyChoke II, basically a choke tube with a Polychoke built onto it. It's a great device, however, I was talked into having my barrel threaded for Truchoke. Ever since that day I've been asking around, and checking Ebay very often, and have yet to have a Truchoke Polychoke II show up. I've got an IC choke tube in the gun now, but I had to use a dab of blue Loctite to keep it from backing out, same as every other threaded gun I ever owned. I kick myself all the time, why I didn't have it threaded for Remchoke. If you have it threaded, do a normal thread like Remchoke or Winchoke.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master Cap'n Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,284
    Randy.

    Any reduction of the muzzle diameter will act as a choke. Milling a jug choke (or threading a barrel inside or out) on a 5-axis CNC mill would not be a problem for an experienced machinist, but not many gunsmiths have acces to 5-axis. (five axis makes it easy to line up the bore, and has more room for long vertical parts)

    I once read an article in some gun rag, where the author penned down the muzzle rim slightly and used a round file to open it back up to the desired size.
    If I recall correctly, the muzzle developed a small crack after his first attempt. He tried again, this time annealing the muzzle, and it worked great.

    If you drop by Denmark one of these days, I can jug-choke your barrel in about an hours time...
    Cap'n Morgan

  17. #17
    Moderator Emeritus

    georgerkahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South of the (Canada) border
    Posts
    1,835
    I have admiration for you as well as all others living in ANY state but New York! In New York State (NYS) one may NOT have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motorized vehicle (including tractors, atv, utv, motorcycle, etc.) under ANY circumstance. Further, if one simply has ammo "accessible" to the unloaded/empty firearm in or on said vehicle, then it is presumed/treated by law as if it IS a loaded firearm! (Firearms, unloaded, need be in one part of vehicle (e.g., passenger compartment) with ammunition in another (e.g., the trunk)). For those sans separate compartment vehicles (e.g., pickup truck or van) ammunition must be in a LOCKED box/case.
    Interestingly, a 26-yr-old male with no priors and his lady friend were recently arrested as (headed to range) they were stopped in a standard (blow horn; check brake lights; legal registration, etc.) traffic stop -- with BOTH cited as an UNLOADED shotgun was on automobile's back seat with an unopened box of shotgun shells on seat adjacent to it. Fellow had no idea he was breaking any law, and -- in NYS ALL occupants are equally charged with vehicle/gun violations -- his lady-friend was also arrested!
    The ONLY permissible firearm in/on any vehicle in NYS is a registered handgun belonging to driver or vehicle occupant which must be concealed.
    "MUST BE NICE!!!" to reside in states where it is not redowndable to both have such a great mod as you have with your Monky Wards scattergun and be able to have it in one's vehicle!
    My "weapon" when I needed drive through high-crime regions was a (thankfully never needed!) new can of Black Flag Wasp and Hornet Spray. I reckoned if I could get some spray in their eyes....
    geo

  18. #18
    Boolit Grand Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    5,800
    In the communist state of MI, I cannot carry a loaded gun in a vehicle unless it is a concealed pistol.

    It is really disappointing as I would like to have something in the SxS when we are cruising the back roads and logging trails in case we have an issue with two legged problems, a bear, coyotes or wandering dogs. A pistol is fine for me but I worry when my fiancé when she the grandkids for a ride.

    I would also like to have an old .30/30 (I picked up cheap) stashed in the truck at all times. It would make a perfect truck gun.

    Randy, just wondering why you did not consider a ghost sight? I like simple for SD stuff and have been thinking of adding them to our shotguns. Like you, I am a big fan of the Mossberg 500's for that use.

    You did a nice job on yours!
    Don Verna

    NRA Endowment Member

  19. #19
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aberdeen, South Dakota
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have admiration for you as well as all others living in ANY state but New York! In New York State (NYS) one may NOT have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motorized vehicle (including tractors, atv, utv, motorcycle, etc.) under ANY circumstance. Further, if one simply has ammo "accessible" to the unloaded/empty firearm in or on said vehicle, then it is presumed/treated by law as if it IS a loaded firearm! (Firearms, unloaded, need be in one part of vehicle (e.g., passenger compartment) with ammunition in another (e.g., the trunk)). For those sans separate compartment vehicles (e.g., pickup truck or van) ammunition must be in a LOCKED box/case.
    Interestingly, a 26-yr-old male with no priors and his lady friend were recently arrested as (headed to range) they were stopped in a standard (blow horn; check brake lights; legal registration, etc.) traffic stop -- with BOTH cited as an UNLOADED shotgun was on automobile's back seat with an unopened box of shotgun shells on seat adjacent to it. Fellow had no idea he was breaking any law, and -- in NYS ALL occupants are equally charged with vehicle/gun violations -- his lady-friend was also arrested!
    The ONLY permissible firearm in/on any vehicle in NYS is a registered handgun belonging to driver or vehicle occupant which must be concealed.
    "MUST BE NICE!!!" to reside in states where it is not redowndable to both have such a great mod as you have with your Monky Wards scattergun and be able to have it in one's vehicle!
    My "weapon" when I needed drive through high-crime regions was a (thankfully never needed!) new can of Black Flag Wasp and Hornet Spray. I reckoned if I could get some spray in their eyes....
    geo
    It sure is nice, that's why I moved to one. A lot of states are like NY, although not quite as picky on the enforcement. I really doubt Randy is going to be driving around loaded with that. It is flat out illegal in CA to have a loaded firearm in a car, the one exception being a concealed handgun. If your shirt blows up when a cop comes by, it's a ticket. Maybe he is planning to keep a couple speedloaders nearby?

  20. #20
    Boolit Grand Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    9,165
    George, since COVID I've noticed lots of NY plates appearing among my neighbors who apparently moved full-time into their weekend cabins and cottages, doing the remote access thing. Several have since re-registered their vehicles and changed their legal residence to West Virginia so that they could legally buy guns and carry them anywhere except the courthouse, airport, a school or the post office, without a permit. Several I have met and talked to say they have taken the sacred oath to be Mountaineer football fans for life, having found voice coaches to lose the Yankee nasal whine and even got new wardrobes at Tractor Supply and have sworn never return to the big city.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check