MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pc cast oversize

Boolit Buddy

pc cast oversize

I cast 32 bollits and size to 314. after pc-ing they end up about .317 to .318. when I try to resize them the pc is so hard that it is almost impossible to size or they size off center.
    what is the work around? do I have to cast undersize then pc them? or is there another work around.

Boolit Master

What's the 'as cast' diameter of your boolits before PC? If they're too much over before PC, you may have to size before and after coating. Also, how are you applying the powder-coat? Excess powder on the boolits will result in an extra-thick coating after baking so you might, also, want to take a look at that.

FWIW: I don't have a lot of trouble sizing PC'd boolits down .004. I'm using NOE push-through sizers polished with #800 lapping compound and Smoke's Clear for a coating.

Hint: A bit of electrician's wire-pulling lube poured on a folded shop towel makes a good sizing lube. You don't have to lube every one; now and then just roll two or three across the lube-soaked pad to keep the sizer die lubricated.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-28-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I PC before sizing.

How are you applying the PC? Your coating seems a bit thick? What kind of PC are you using?
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    A little more information is needed
    what alloy are you using? (I'm guessing your alloy is too hard for what you are doing) (1BHN for every 100 FPS, less if you PC)
    What finished size are you looking for
    How hot are you casting? (the hotter the alloy & mold the more the boolit will shrink when cool

" size to 314. after pc-ing they end up about .317 to .318. " You are leaving way too much PC on the boolit, normally you will gain .001-.002 with properly applied PC/ You need to sift/shake/tap off ALL the excess PC before baking

Any case lube can help with sizing PC'd boolits, I also like to lightly polish my sizing dies (this doesn't add to the diameter just smooths up machining marks and I think they size easier)

Pictures always help

Boolit Master
    I was having similar problems with the Lyman 311284 boolit. It would cast large and if I powder coated it before sizing the powder coat would get damaged when I sent it through a .309 Lee push through sizer. Sizing bot before and after didn't work either, as the results were substandard. I have other molds that cast boolits that will work fine in a .308 bore, so I just resolved that the 311284 when coated and sized is a .312 bullet and use it for 7.65x53. It may not be what you want to hear, but the answer might be to use 30 caliber boolits, then powder coat them to take them up in diameter.

Case-sizing lube works wonders....

A light spray of this works great...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/C...***/42-305174/

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

I have never herd of "sizing off center".

Generally my PC coatings are less then .005 TOTAL often with extra sifting .002/3. Dont be afraid to sift off excess powder!!! Very hand tip wsp for a GC shanked bullet.

I PC most all My Cast and I cast ALLOT!! I have never had this issue. As stated above we need more information.

But with out it, I agree and suggest you try lube.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I approached it from another angle and when I had my mold cut I requested a smaller diameter and then I powder coat and all is well .

No sizing needed and none wanted , shoot as cast .

Boolit Buddy
    using HF pc, was just shake and bake. I did not try to shake any excess off, and was sizing to 314 before pc-ing. I will try as advised; sizing to 311 or 309 first then shaking off any excess.
    Thanks everyone
    BD

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    using HF pc, was just shake and bake. I did not try to shake any excess off, and was sizing to 314 before pc-ing. I will try as advised; sizing to 311 or 309 first then shaking off any excess.
    Thanks everyone
    BD
    Advance my video to 14:00..

https://youtu.be/VlQyISH-j64

Hope it helps.

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s a lot to size down in one pass, especially if your alloy is hard. Try sizing in two or more steps if possible. I like the NOE system and have a complete range of bushings for the calibers I shoot. Otherwise, be sure to lube and not bake with too much powder on them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    Thanks everyone
    BD
    I'm guessing the black from HF??

I think you're headed for a world of trouble sizing boolits that small and hoping the PC will bring them up to size.

Good PC will only add 0.001-0.002 to the size of the boolit.

I've cast and coated a bunch of 32 caliber boolits. I sized after coating and have never had a problem. Something is off in your process.

I'd try a different PC or switch to Hi-Tek. Smoke sells some awesome PC.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Not to pupu HF powders. There is much better out there.

Good luck

CW

Any of the Eastwood "Mirror" colors.
    Absolutely/uniformly dependable.

Boolit Master

Try Smoke4320's powders.
    He will sell you a sample of 3 colors for the same price as a pound, Shipped.
    It's GREAT STUFF.

I use the plastic bottle from the red harbor freight stuff to store Smoke's "Flame RED". After washing out the hf garbage.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Yep, too much PC left on the bullets. I size .30cal bullets to .309. After PC they are around .311. Size again. Works well and no lube is needed when sizing, even when using hard alloys (I use Lyman #2 most of the time).

Best of course is to get an undersize mold. I do not since there are times that I want to shoot a lubed bullet vs PC.

Boolit Master
    I have a similar sizing problem when I drop the boolits directly from oven to cold water. My alloy is pretty hard to begin with and quenching makes them so hard that when resizing after coating, they spring back and are still mic 2 thousands over the sizer. I tried running them 2 or 3 times thru the sizer and they still spring back. Next batch will be air cooled to see if that cures the problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    I have a similar sizing problem when I drop the boolits directly from oven to cold water. My alloy is pretty hard to begin with and quenching makes them so hard that when resizing after coating, they spring back and are still mic 2 thousands over the sizer. I tried running them 2 or 3 times thru the sizer and they still spring back. Next batch will be air cooled to see if that cures the problem.
    As this thread is about PC to "UP THE SIZE". Why are you casting with such hard lead?? PC allows nearly DEAD SOFT for almost every handgun caliber there is. With ZERO FOULING. In most guns.

If your not PCing (unsure why the comment) But we all should know by now hard bullets run small.

Not attacking ya here. Just commenting and asking.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Advance my video to 14:00..

https://youtu.be/VlQyISH-j64

Hope it helps.

CW
    Thanks. Gonna try this. Where'd you get that basket? Would a standard kitchen strainer work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast