Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Reflex sight on 45-70

Boolit Master

Reflex sight on 45-70

I use scopes on all my sausage rifles. 30-06, .223 Thompson Oncore. Eyes are 71 years old and failing.
    Have a new 45-70 with Iron sights,Henry single shot. Was wondering if a reflex sight would work with this recoil. Good for 100 yard, still shot on white tail. Dark woods or deer blind. Does ambient light effect operation. And price? Does cost reflect in quality. 50$-350$ MOA of dot etc? What have you experienced?
    Last edited by Hossfly; 07-20-2021 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Have a new 45-70 with Iron sights,Henry single shot.

Was wondering if a reflex sight would work with this recoil.

Does ambient light effect operation.

And price? Does cost reflect in quality.
    I've been using reflex sights since the Optima 2000 was introduced many years ago - I love them, finding them better than a scope for the relatively close range (100yds +/-) hunting. ( I usually hunt in buck bedrooms/swamps, where deer or bear like to utilize))

I've used them on rifles up to the .458 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag w/o any issues.

Ambient light only effects sights that are not electrical powered.

I've effectively used reflex sights ranging from an inexpensive Weaver to an expensive Trijicon - the only difference I could detect was the expensive sights made my wallet lighter & easier to carry while hunting...

Most will clamp to a Weaver-style rail.

Buy at least one extra battery, lest you need one afield (many fail to shut off the sight when done hunting (my sights have a snap-on hood that shuts them off).

You might want to think about where you'll be using the rifle/sight, as the sights are available in different dot sizes - a larger dot good for very close range snap shots; a finer dot for all around shooting.

Last edited by pietro; 07-20-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I've been using reflex sights since the Optima 2000 was introduced many years ago - I love them, finding them better than a scope for the relatively close range (100yds +/-) hunting. ( I usually hunt in buck bedrooms)

I've used them on rifles up to the .458 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag w/o any issues.

Ambient light only effects sights that are not electrical powered.

I've effectively used reflex sights ranging from an inexpensive Weaver to an expensive Trijicon - the only difference I could detect was the expensive sights made my wallet lighter & easier to carry while hunting...

Most will clamp to a Weaver-style rail.

Buy at least one extra battery, lest you need one afield (many fail to shut off the sight when done hunting (my sights have a snap-on hood that shuts them off).

You might want to think about where you'll be using the rifle/sight, as the sights are available in different dot sizes - a larger dot good for very close range snap shots; a finer dot for all around shooting.

Thank you for that quick response. I’ve used The original red dot before, and left it on when putting the rifle up in the cabinet. A week later, it was still on but when I turned it off it wouldn’t turn back on. New battery solved that problem.

A reflex sight looks lighter and like it would handle recoil better.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Hey cap'n...I'd look up the holosun 403. It's right at 120 ish shipped. Mounts to standard rails - auto on off (turns itself off after no motion for 8 hrs). 50,000 hrs of battery life. Meaning if it was on all the time (never went to sleep) it would use only one battery for 5 years straight. With the auto sleep function that battery will last the lifetime of the battery itself (usually around 10 years)

They handle recoil very well - lots of guys use them and abuse them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a H&R Handi-Rifle in 45/70. All that type of hunting is on my own land from shoot houses in the dense woods with some lanes and a couple planted patches giving me either 75yd or 125yd opportunities. Large hogs over 300lbs are common. And, that's what what I primarily use the Handi for. Like everybody else I have a "junk" box with about a dozen scopes. I felt I did not want to invest to much in the lowly Handi
    So started going thru them. Low and behold I put an inexpensive Simmons ProDiamond 4X32 fixed on with the red diamond crosshair. Its got a lot of eye relief so at 50-75 yds I shoot with both eyes open. I'm 73 and it works for me. These were designed as Shotgun scopes and can be had for less than 75 bucks. Even less on Ebay used.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 286379Attachment 286380Attachment 286381

I put a Burris FastFire on my Winchester 1886 in 45-70 and it worked just fine. It shot great groups, as good as anyone could reasonably expect even with a scope. I was getting five shots in around 1.5” at 100 yards pretty consistently. It was really easy to see and it was adjustable for all lighting conditions. It has a lifetime guarantee, but I’ve never had one fail on any of my rifles or handguns.

I have a Trijicon RMR01 on my 1886. Works well for my needs

Boolit Man
    Burris Fastfires are good. If you want a red dot I would recommend the SIG Romeo 5. Super durable and around the $100-125 mark. Long battery life (40,000 hrs) and has shake awake feature.