Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: My first 22 Hornet

Boolit Master

My first 22 Hornet

Well today I loaded up the factory Hornet ammo I shot off, my hat is off to those who this cartridge often as it is a fiddly game to play. I found less is best when it comes to lube on the case and inside de burring is a must. In spite of the difficulty it is a wonderful round to play with. Now that I have some formed shells it is time to try cast from the CBE mould I have, I think a specially made belling button will be necessary with cast. Regards Stephen

Banned
    Try to stay with the lighter bullets if you have an old rifle my Winchester shot best with a 45 grain bullet the newer rifles are tighter twist but not in the 222,223 range.

Banned

Been doing cast with the Hornet using a Lee Universal Expander, cheap and worked fine, but I have since gotten a Lyman M die which I haven't used much. Been away from the Hornets for a while, I need to get back to them.

One of the more fun cartridges to me, though I only shoot it downloaded to rimfire levels with cast.

I've got no Hornet hate, but when I see that fragile little case compared to my Bee brass, I wonder why the Bee dropped into obscurity.

I've got Bee brass that I've had since I was a kid, and have no idea how many loadings on them. Brass for the Bee is now being made by Hornady, but I haven't tried any yet.

One thing is certain, and that is that the basic power level of both Hornet and Bee is simply a sweet thing to experience. I love the stubby little Hornady 35 gr v-max, and use my cast Lyman 45 gr for reduced loads. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I've got no Hornet hate, but when I see that fragile little case compared to my Bee brass, I wonder why the Bee dropped into obscurity.

I've got Bee brass that I've had since I was a kid, and have no idea how many loadings on them. Brass for the Bee is now being made by Hornady, but I haven't tried any yet.

One thing is certain, and that is that the basic power level of both Hornet and Bee is simply a sweet thing to experience. I love the stubby little Hornady 35 gr v-max, and use my cast Lyman 45 gr for reduced loads. jd
    I got a .218 Bee a while back, and though I haven't done much with it yet, I have to agree with you that it seems strange it died and the Hornet flourished.

I think I'm gonna pull that rifle out this weekend and mess around with some loads for it. Might have to load some jacketed (gasp!) in it first.

Boolit Master

Last year i was looking at one of the Taurus Raging Hornets in 22 Hornet I read some good on them but they are discontinued . I asked online about them and almost everyone said the chambers messed up the cases to much to reload for them .

I swage my own .22 caliber bullets from empty 22 long rifle cases and my dies make bullets to 35 grains so I thought it would be a good choice for a fun gun.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.