RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Yes we can.... corn

Yes we can.... corn

24 pints Illini extra sweet. Picked by 10. Canned by 5.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Nice!

We're getting rain again here, so I'm expecting a big batch of peppers to pickle in a couple weeks. Jalapenos and banana peppers mostly, but they're both good pickled.

This is what I've been getting recently. Not enough to break out the mason jars, but enough to have to give a bunch away before they go bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Man I'm jealous!! Between the late cold and the African weather this summer - my garden looks like a Detroit alleyway!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Man I'm jealous!! Between the late cold and the African weather this summer - my garden looks like a Detroit alleyway!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    That was mine last year. The tomatoes didn't survive the hornworms, and the hot, dry weather stunted everything else. I couldn't water enough to keep cracks from forming in the beds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I dearly love sweet corn on the cob, but none of the home canned stuff ever tastes the same as fresh from the garden.

I haven't really messed with a garden for the past few years; even though I live on top of a hill, my garden doesn't drain well. Just about the time I think "It will be dry enough to hoe tomorrow," it rains again. That plus the numerous deer, coons and other varmints, it just isn't worth the effort.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I dearly love sweet corn on the cob, but none of the home canned stuff ever tastes the same as fresh from the garden.

I haven't really messed with a garden for the past few years; even though I live on top of a hill, my garden doesn't drain well. Just about the time I think "It will be dry enough to hoe tomorrow," it rains again. That plus the numerous deer, coons and other varmints, it just isn't worth the effort.

Robert
    Solar electric fence and step in posts are a game changer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Robert
    Nothing will ever taste as good as fresh, but there are better methods than canning corn. About the only reason to can corn is so it lasts for years. You can freeze corn cobs whole in bags, and it is good for about a year, and tastes a lot better than canned. You can also blanch and cut the kernels off if you want more freezer space. I personally don't mess with growing corn, since a big bag from the store costs a few dollars, and people always try and give me fresh sweet corn when it's time. I much prefer tomatoes. You can make a sauce that is a lot better than you can buy.

Boolit Master
    We have some in the freezer from the Amish. It is almost as good as fresh. The home caned stuff is still better then you can buy in the store.

Boolit Master
    Growing up, it was rare to have canned vegetables from the store. My mom would can beans, peas and tomatoes as well as freezing a lot of corn. Very hard work for her.

One time my dad had done some electrical rewiring and missed one circuit. It was to our deep freeze. We lost a lot of frozen vegetables. I still remember mom crying over that one and my dad felt terrible.

My would be so thrilled now every time that I fire up the canner to process 7 quarts of green beans or to can tomatoes and sauerkraut.

Good job @Thumbcocker
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Mason jars don't thaw in a power outage. In 1979 my family was without power for 11 days due to an ice storm. We had wood heat and lots of canned stuff. We put dry ice in our freezer and wrapped it in insulation. Neighbors bought generators. We didn't.

We could buy all the veggies we want at farmers markets or stores but we choose to grow some of our own food. We have peach, apple, pear, paw paw, and chestnut trees in the yard that are just now starting to produce. The older we get the more they will produce. A couple of deer from the back of the farm per year and we are good for our red meat. We could buy it all but why. This ground has been feeding my kin since the 1840's. My ashes will be scattered on it.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a lot of work ... will taste good this winter .

I learned the art of canning , along with pickling , preserving and Jam / Jelly making from my Mom...
    Before we were able to buy a freezer ... That woman would by stuff by the bushel basket from farmer friends and we would spend days canning ...
    When Dad scored a freezer , (he worked for the Utility Co. and they sold electric appliances ... on time , it was added to your monthly electric bill till paid off ) a lot of that canning business stopped , freezing was so much easier compared to canning jars ... I loved that Freezer , I got to go outside and play with my friends .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I canned and froze lots of corn last year with the help of all the kids and grand children. Family makes it fun. Frozen corn tastes better, but canned corn can sit on the shelf for several years, so that's a plus.

I have found the canned is better when I add a small spoon full of sugar, and butter when reheating. Lots of old timers said they used to eat field corn that was boiled in sugar water, and didn't know what sweet corn was.

Boolit Master
    We had one of the nicest looking sweet corn patches we've had for several years, then the wind came up. Blew the corn flat 4 different times but it all stood up again, then it blew down the 5th time. Only about 1/2 stood up again, the rest of it is a tangled mess. Yes, the ears are still there, but it sure isn't easy harvesting it.

Boolit Master

ryanmattes - very nice and your "haul" is very much like my above ground garden yield. I have a HUGE, healthy, strawberry plant covering one and one half 69-gallon oval troughs that refuses to flower...suggestions?

I was in Tractor Supply yesterday. A 40# bag of whole kernel corn has "shot up" from $8.40 a bag (in April '21) to $12.69 a bag. That's 50% inflation!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When I was a kid, my Mother cane both fruit and vegetables which were then stored on shelves in what we called the "fruit cellar" - a separate room in our cellar with whitewashed walls and floor to ceiling shelves that were filled with Mason jars - a nice cool room to keep them in. One of my jobs was to retrieve the jars filled with goodies that she needed when fixing meals. She also made and canned all sorts of jams and jelly - my Dad's favorite was her homemade "Mint Jelly".

Thanks for the post and photos - brought back lots of good memories and I can still taste her delicious canned corn - us kids got to pick and husk it and then she worked her magic that supplied us with fruit and vegetables through the winter. . . . . . . good memories!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    ryanmattes - very nice and your "haul" is very much like my above ground garden yield. I have a HUGE, healthy, strawberry plant covering one and one half 69-gallon oval troughs that refuses to flower...suggestions?

I was in Tractor Supply yesterday. A 40# bag of whole kernel corn has "shot up" from $8.40 a bag (in April '21) to $12.69 a bag. That's 50% inflation!
    My best suggestion? Have good weather!

This year has been dramatically more productive for me because the weather has just played ball. After the cold snap killed 80% of the pests, it warmed up and stayed in the 70s and 80s for much longer than usual. And it conveniently rained weekly for a couple months. If I could bottle that and sell it I'd be rich.

I don't know a lot about strawberries, but I know everyone I know who grows them had beautiful looking plants up until recently, when they suddenly all just dried up. That may have to do with weather too.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    We once canned 350 1 and 1.5 quart mason jars of vegetables from our garden. Five years later we were still opening them.

Has anyone had experience canning vegetables with natural fermentation the same as sauerkraut?

Boolit Master

Robert
    Now I'm not a farmer/gardener/county Ag agent, but. I was told by one that I should consider tilling a bit of sand into my soil that wouldn't drain, several years ago. The key is to not add too much sand to the existing soil. It definitely helped in my situation.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Some of my happiest memories comes from canned goods. My grandmother (Mom's mother) had a back yard fig bush as big as a school bus. She made excellent fig preserves but lived about a 4 hour drive away from us. Every visit at her home, or when she visited us, was a guaranteed re-stocking of fig preserves. My mother and sister each had fig bushes at their homes but neither of them canned the preserves, just ate the fruit from the bush. All three of them have passed on so now my only source is retail sources that offer the preserves. Just tasting the flavor causes all of those happy early memories to come back alive.