Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Patent Breech construction

Boolit Buddy

Patent Breech construction

I ran an endoscope down the barrel of my little Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine, and was surprised to see what appears to be a threaded bolt running across the patent breech, just behind the opening of the flash channel. Is this how these rifles were made? I had imagined that the patent breech would end in a smooth cup.

This is a cross section view of a T/C Hawken patent breech (the WMC breech appears to be identical)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

Thank you. This was my first experience with the endoscope - short focal length lenses take a little getting used to - I think I was seeing tool marks, and misinterpreting them.

Boolit Master
    picture explains why I like nipple drum ignition better !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    picture explains why I like nipple drum ignition better !
    Say what you will, but there is nothing wrong with TC's patent breech plug. Sure, the TC uses two 45 degree angles verses one 90 degree turn, but you don't hear about the TC plugs blowing out of rifles either. No matter how you slice it, a drum was nothing but a cheap solution to convert a flintlock to a percussion cap, and it works.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Say what you will, but there is nothing wrong with TC's patent breech plug. Sure, the TC uses two 45 degree angles verses one 90 degree turn, but you don't hear about the TC plugs blowing out of rifles either. No matter how you slice it, a drum was nothing but a cheap solution to convert a flintlock to a percussion cap, and it works.
    They are much harder to clean properly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    No, they aren't. I've used both, and there is nothing wrong with the TC breech plug. Water cleans out both with no problem.

Boolit Master

+1 to what MSM said! I've shot a number of TC rifles over the years, no problem at all to clean!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

You have to be sure to flush a good amount through the breech though. It is definitely easier to clean a normal breech with surety.

Pietro thanks for the picture that’s definitely worth a thousand Words
    I pull the nipple and put that end in a coffee can of water and pump a cleaning patch up and down the bore. I see why that cleans it so well by the picture.
    Last edited by frogleg; 07-20-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    I was looking at the length of the skinny ignition channel, 2X what a nipple drum has = 2 x the potential to get a problem with bridged powder and a misfire -
    The closer the source of ignition is to the main charge the more reliable ignition will be (other things being equal) applies to flinters too.................

I dont like sidehammer and underhammer guns but (regardless of my personal likes/dislikes) those things can have super fast ignition

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Spot on. I hate patent plugs, what a pain mostly for fouling control, but also final cleaning. Requires a patched brush to get into the smaller ante-chamber, after cleaning the bore (which pushes more crud in the patent breech). I've never seen a performance advantage for any patent breech plug, cap or flint, just more effort and tools to lug around. And 99% of all offshore sidelocks sport those buggers. Ack. More power to those who love 'em, YMMV.