Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ford battery powered pick-up

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Well, this will be the decider for some people:

Ford Has Created A Fragrance Designed To Smell Like Gasoline

"A claimed 70 percent of electric car buyers said they would miss the smell of gas when switching to a plug-in vehicle. This is according to Ford, which to promote its upcoming Mach-E GT has created a fragrance intended to smell like petroleum."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...m_content=link
    Funny, I had my oil changed for the first time ever at a quickie oil change shop. never got out of the car, and had fun talking with the manager who was taking care of all the info for everyone driving through. Said his wife loved the smell of diesel...... Go figure. Was thinking about using for cologne

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Charge an electric vehicle in minutes??? What is the amp-hour ratings for the battery packs?? If 2000 amp-hours, wouldn't you need electric lines capable of handling 20,000 amps to charge in 6 minutes (1/10th of an hour). What kind of heat would be generated, not to mention the electromagnetic field generated? Fry the electronics in your car? Would you have to have your house re-wired to handle the load? Wouldn't you have to use a LOT of fossil fuel to mine the ore and refine it to just make the wire for all this?
    How about a hybrid truck that the engine uses diesel?? That might get my attention. Electric only vehicles don't have the range so I can make it to see the Grandchild so why bother. You get to a 600 mile range, then maybe.
    Just thinking out loud

Boolit Master
    If you want to make a fuel fragrance it should be high octane VP flavored.

A 13-ton lithium battery burst into flames then spread to another battery in Australia, Musk project. Expected to burn for 24 hrs min. San Diego has built one, Texas is planning some.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I've wondered about a battery powered pulling tractor. Weight shouldn't be an issue for 7K.-10k LB classes. I guess there's a couple lawn mower sized EVs pulling out there. I pull an Oliver tractor in some antique farm classes but would have to go in an open class with a EV I'm sure. It would only have to run at full power for 2-3 minutes at the most.

I could see guys "chipping" that Ford truck EV and making their tires go bald lol. Or maybe pulling with them at truck pulls. Though not very practical for every day use that way.
    not electric, but JCB is going all in with hydrogen engines for heavy equipment, tractors and rock trucks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisest.fool View Post
    I used to be an avid R/C pilot before i joined the army and you couldn't budge me off the nitromethanol/caster oil engines to go electric. fast forward 15 years. wanted to get my son one to fly together. cannot find nitro engines because brushless electric is both more powerful and efficient. Difference? batteries and better brushless motors. Tried one and I am impressed. i can fly just as long if not more and a quick battery swap and im back to flying while the other one charges.
    Where's the joy of getting a fussy 2 cycle started after hours of trying. Or getting one started without needing Band-Aids. Does "Kiting" a plane still mean the same thing?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    not electric, but JCB is going all in with hydrogen engines for heavy equipment, tractors and rock trucks
    Not to put too fine a point on it. but we are already using hydrogen fueled engines. Have been for 120 years. We just add a little carbon to make the hydrogen easier to manage.

Fun fact: The principle constituent of exhaust gas is......water. H2O.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    A 13-ton lithium battery burst into flames then spread to another battery in Australia, Musk project. Expected to burn for 24 hrs min. San Diego has built one, Texas is planning some.

As a person who has replaced or serviced more than one Chevy Volt Battery and a few Escalade Hybrid batteries, weight would certainly be an issue in just swapping out batteries. It's not like just putting a couple of D-cells in. You have to make it safe to handle and even after that wear lineman's gloves. We are dealing with 300+ volts. You need a very stout table lift capable of raising and lowering several hundred pounds. Coolant lines are run and have to be purged on the Volt. If you a replacing a segment or individual cells they have to be balanced. Reading about them and theorizing is way different than actually working on them

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gent I know somewhat on another forum runs a towing co.

When electric vehicles first came out, there were a lot of fires when the tow rig operator started to move the EV, at least at that time I believe he chose not to move EVs. Could have changed by now, idk.

They are definitely different!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567