WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ford battery powered pick-up

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regenerative Braking means you use the motors as generators, to slow the vehicle down, you may retrieve SOME of the power from doing that, in regular brakes you just convert the power to heat (and wear on the brake pads...) You don't regenerative brake while in normal operation, just when "braking", as that would be stupid and a waste of power.

Boolit Master
    Many e-vehicles use regenerative braking. You hit the brake pedal and the motors become generators to slightly recharge the battery.

Go look up zinc ion batteries. There were some breakthroughs with regard to dendrite growth. A couple of companies had been trying to get them to market and will likely get bought out or financially hobbled by those invested in lithium ion battery companies. Zinc is harmless and the batteries are pretty much non toxic. A bit heavier so not good for electronics. If I have several million to invest, it would be with those efforts.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

If I remember correctly, back in the seventies, Popular Mechanics did several articles on building hybrid electric cars. Of course back then all you had were the lead acid batteries of the day so you needed a light car with large space for batteries. Now as I remember it they would put as many batteries as possible in the car, take out the existing engine and replace it with something like a 15 horse B&S lawn mower engine. I think the drive motor was an old jet engine starter. There was at least a 200 amp alternator that was constantly turned buy the lawn mower engine.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Go look up zinc ion batteries. There were some breakthroughs with regard to dendrite growth. A couple of companies had been trying to get them to market and will likely get bought out or financially hobbled by those invested in lithium ion battery companies. Zinc is harmless and the batteries are pretty much non toxic. A bit heavier so not good for electronics. If I have several million to invest, it would be with those efforts.
    These batteries would definitely start getting rid of the zinc wheel weights that have plaque us for quite some time now.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Some interesting statements on here, some spot on and some less so.

1. Mining for existing Lithium ion technology isn't great for the environment. However, if you believe that CO2 emissions are responsible for changing the climate, it is by far the lesser of two evils... and if you don't, I'm still not convinced that it's that big a deal. It's gotten a lot of press, but it's really little different from any other mining operation that nobody pays attention to. It is accurate to say that Cobalt in particular is a problem from a constrained resources and abuse of workers perspective, but do you really believe that the same bleeding heart hippies who view the entire world through the lens of climate change and identity politics don't also care about poor miserable child labor in undeveloped countries? Of course they do. There is a remarkable amount of engineering work going into alternative battery chemistries, and almost none of the new options involve Cobalt because there are loads of reasons to keep it out of your supply chain.

2. Generally speaking, ALL electric cars keep their battery packs in a "skateboard" structure beneath the body of the car. This keeps the mass very low and improves practically every aspect of the engineering, manufacturing, and user experience. Old assumptions about car layouts need to be completely discarded when you're talking electric, that "skateboard" makes the possible layouts very flexible and makes it easy to share the same underlying platform between models.

3. Range is an issue. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you an electric car/truck, or values your conversion to electric at a higher rate than the truth. However, it is not an issue in all situations - in fact, I would assert that in some geographies for some people, it will never be an issue even for the electric F-150.

For example, I commute to work through the Appalachian Mountains each day, a round trip of about 42 miles daily. I might stop at the grocery store or the gun shop or something on the way home, and we have dance lessons two or three days a week, which is a round trip distance of, say, 15 miles. On a normal day, it would be no problem for me to go to work, pick up a huge load of mulch or cinder blocks or something in the bed, come home, unload, and take the same truck to dance. When I plug in to the 220V outlet already installed in my garage, I would easily be at 100% charge in the morning. I'm gonna be honest, that might make me boring, but that's what the vast majority of my life really looks like. Even on the weekends when we go hiking in the nearby mountains, we usually don't drive more than 150 miles on a trip. For 95% of my life and needs taking care of our 5 acres in the country, the EV F-150 would be fine. If you live in the plains states where the distance between houses or towns is measured in fractions of a light-year, or somewhere that is intimately familiar with arctic air currents for a lot of the year, your needs might be very different.

Road trips are going to be a problem for everyone. The charging infrastructure isn't good enough, especially for any electric car without a Tesla badge on it. Check out the recent Engineering Explained video on EVs if you want more specific information, but the long and short of it is that nobody but Tesla has an overall system which keeps the time added to travel time to what I consider an acceptable level. When we go on road trips, we do NOT spend 45 to 75 minutes somewhere every time we stop, I don't know who in the hell actually does that on a trip or why EV proponents think it's acceptable - it's not.

Towing is also going to be a problem except over short distances. The energy density of batteries just isn't high enough yet. Not only do large towing loads absolutely tank your drag coefficient, but any time you go up a hill the work (as measured in joules, like in science class) that the vehicle has to do scales linearly with the mass of the truck/trailer assembly... so you should expect a drop in range when towing anything big, and a precipitous drop when towing something big in hills or mountains. That's not so different from an ICE truck since they are also subject to the same laws, the only problem is that for the EV the range is already shorter and charging takes longer, so the consequences are tougher to manage.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I have always wondered if some type of easily changed battery module would work. Stop at a station and swap out your low module for a charged one.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Learned an interesting fact last week. In order for these batteries to stay in "optimum" condition they should only be charged to 80% and not be discharged below 20%. That gives you a safe range of 60% of the rated range. Use the AC or heater often and the range is even lower. Plus time deteriorates batteries so range will only get worse the longer you own the vehicle.
    EV's can make sense for some people. I'll use my son for an example. He commutes about 20 miles to work every day and while at work he would not have to pay for charging.
    Read a story last week about a family on a 1100 mile road trip in each direction. They mentioned the GPS would lead them to dedicated super charges. If I am going on a road trip, I'll decide which roads to take.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Hydrogen powered vehicles would prove to be the better choice of fuel all the way around. Burn it and you get water and no other byproducts. It can be produced by wind, solar, and nuclear and it’s a never ending resource. Electric vehicles are simply a cash cow for the auto companies and the companies making/selling batteries. I recently saw a picture of a couple thousand government electric. vehicles in France all sitting in a field. They had batteries that were no longer any good and the vehicles looked pretty new. It costs about as much to replace the battery as it does to put another vehicle on the road. Right now, they’re just starting to develop the technology and resources to recycle the batteries in these vehicles along with other LI batteries. There’s simply no free lunch in electric.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Regenerative braking is used on many if not all hybrids and full electric vehicles. The power recovered is miniscule and aids in braking more so than actual generation.
    yup i read an article (dont remember the brand) where they used a convectional system and compared it to regenerative system. The standard one had a 120 mile all electric range. the regenerative unit added 2 miles to the range. Hardly worth the expense. Theres no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. About the best benifit to a system like that is less wear on your brakes. Im sure no electric car expert and if i live my life right hope to never be but it almost seems to me a better way to gain range would be a torque converter or clutch that would actually allow your car to free wheel disconnected from the motor.

Boolit Grand Master

I see the electric the same as steam power. While it is getting better People are going to have to learn to plan in charging time and work around it. It sounds good chargung at night while asleep but if everyone does that then the power grid is overloaded every night.

I use 2 electriic wheel chairs daily one is lithium Ion batteries and very light for smooth surfaces. The other is heavy AGM batteries on tracks and rough surface. The light one will do about a full week on a charge. The track about 3 days. Both take close to a full 8 hours to recharge and are down while charging. The track chair can carry a small portable generator and operate. I just replaced the 2 100 amp hour agm batteries in the track at close to $700.00. But panning in charge time and getting it done is similar to the old steam powered tractors and power plants.

To many will work on partial charges and destroy batteries or end up stranded. Both my chairs when partially recharged show a full charge on the controller first off but in 10-15 mins they make a big drop on the gauge. Unlike the IC car that take 10-15 mins to recharge the electric requires more time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have always wondered if some type of easily changed battery module would work. Stop at a station and swap out your low module for a charged one.
    That's actually one of the things that has been proposed. Look up aluminum-air batteries for a very compelling picture... they're non-rechargable, but are so energy-dense and easy to make that you'd change out the battery like you used to change your oil. The idea is that they would be easily recyclable and could make use of the existing gas station networks - retrofitted to install the cells, of course. I love the idea of charging my car at home, but if I end up with a zero-maintenance vehicle that requires a cheap battery install every few thousand miles my feelings aren't going to be hurt.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Hydrogen powered vehicles would prove to be the better choice of fuel all the way around. Burn it and you get water and no other byproducts. It can be produced by wind, solar, and nuclear and it’s a never ending resource. Electric vehicles are simply a cash cow for the auto companies and the companies making/selling batteries. I recently saw a picture of a couple thousand government electric. vehicles in France all sitting in a field. They had batteries that were no longer any good and the vehicles looked pretty new. It costs about as much to replace the battery as it does to put another vehicle on the road. Right now, they’re just starting to develop the technology and resources to recycle the batteries in these vehicles along with other LI batteries. There’s simply no free lunch in electric.
    The problem with hydrogen is that it's SUPER hard to distribute and store, and the energy density per unit volume is horrifically low. It is also inefficient to produce. Hydrogen might be adopted for some areas where compliance with government directives leaves no other viable options with today's technology, but it probably will not be adopted on a large scale.

On the other hand, I'd rather see hydrogen than more ethanol mandates. The whole biofuels thing is a complete cluster - it consumes absurd amounts of water, it screws with the food market, it's hard on the soil, it consumes lots of fertilizer, and it's so inefficient that it's a net-negative energy system.

Boolit Master

Gas automobiles weren't particularly useful when first invented, there was grass hay and water everywhere for horses but no filling stations. Yet here we are. I'm sure people had the same sort of conversations about that as we are having here.

I've considered buying an electric car for commuting and such, while keeping a nice truck for long distance travel and real work. I live almost 30 miles to work as does the wife on the opposite end of town, so commuting together is difficult and not very useful. But a small used electric car can be had for not much money and I have plenty of charging infrastructure at my house and cheap electricity. I'm not saying I will do it, I'm just saying that it does make financial sense when you crunch the numbers. Even accounting for reduced range, a mile traveled with an electric car is way cheaper than gas. If that car is cheap to buy and maintain, that is also a positive.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I happen to really like the new Ford Lightning and if the base model does come in at a cost of $30k, that will be something. I'd wager that most of us have a "home range" of a 50 mile radius where we do 90%+ of our living. With a 200 mile range for the base model, most people would see little issues with that truck as a daily driver as long as they had 220 at their house. Think about it, your truck would always be full of "gas" and ready to go, no stopping at the gas station to fill up, it does it while you sleep. As long as you have a second gas vehicle to cover the rest of your needs, no big deal. I know there are quite a few of us who only have a single vehicle, and maybe an electric vehicle isn't the right choice for them at this time.

I'm no expert, just thinking about the practical implications of this new technology and some of them could be pretty nice.

Boolit Master
    I do not know what the situation is where you-all live, but here there are road taxes on each gallon of fuel we use. These taxes are used (assumedly at least) to support the roadway system. There seems to be a trend of thought that electric vehicles are going to be cheap to own/operate but my thought is there is NO free lunch and there will be some form of taxation to make sure there is no overall reduction in our cost in the long term.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    There is nothing green about electric cars. They cost oil and coal to make, the mining for the batteries is a blight on the planet and they are recharged with coal through a system that is already taxed to its breaking point.

They only sell because of fashion and government subsidies.
    It's called "Virtue Signalling".

Battery powered vehicles are a smug way for overly eddicated and innerlectsul (but ignorant) folk to show the world what fine people they are OR to expose how really stupid they are. Fact is, like adding alcohol to gasoline, battery vehicles are a net loss to the environment.

No matter what they drive, you can easily spot most "progressive" female wackos by counting the "feel good" bumper stickers they display.
    Last edited by 1hole; 07-20-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Redneck Hybrid?
    Hey, Just thinking ahead of the curve,One has to make certain calls to maximize its true potential !
    Heck,I could probably make it to your place on 3 tanks of fuel in the new and exciting on-board generator?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I do not know what the situation is where you-all live, but here there are road taxes on each gallon of fuel we use. These taxes are used (assumedly at least) to support the roadway system. There seems to be a trend of thought that electric vehicles are going to be cheap to own/operate but my thought is there is NO free lunch and there will be some form of taxation to make sure there is no overall reduction in our cost in the long term.
    I'm glad to see someone mention the road tax , state and federal combined here in Virginia runs around 2 cent a mile if you get around 20 miles a gallon . So a truck driver paying 3-4 cent a mile on his 10 mile per gallon rig pays for the road to be repaired .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    It's called "Virtue Signalling".

Battery powered vehicles are a smug way for overly eddicated and innerlectsul (but ignorant) folk to show the world what fine people they are OR to expose how really stupid they are. Fact is, like adding alcohol to gasoline, battery vehicles are a net loss to the environment.

No matter what they drive, you can easily spot most "progressive" female wackos by counting the "feel good" bumper stickers they display.
    As long as people keep thinking that's the only reason why someone would buy an electric vehicle, "normal" folk won't want to buy them and have to put up with that stigma. I don't give a flying flip what anyone else drives, why should anyone care what I drive? Maybe I just want to try it out? Having conservative values does not require one to long for the days of the horse and buggy. Well, maybe that is too modern for some, perhaps the musk oxen and stone-wheeled cart.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Swap your 5k mile pack for a 100k mile that is on its last legs... nope no thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    As long as people keep thinking that's the only reason why someone would buy an electric vehicle, "normal" folk won't want to buy them and have to put up with that stigma. I don't give a flying flip what anyone else drives, why should anyone care what I drive? Maybe I just want to try it out? Having conservative values does not require one to long for the days of the horse and buggy. Well, maybe that is too modern for some, perhaps the musk oxen and stone-wheeled cart.
    I agree, this attitude is a bit behind the times. Electric vehicles aren't like your hippie neighbor's Prius. If you want the best performance in the world from a vehicle, you're buying electric. The 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are unreal, the performance versions are 4WD so you can put your eyeballs at the back of your head without smoking your tires, and even places like Pike's Peak are dominated by EVs.

I'm a cheap and lazy bastard that likes good power and performance from my vehicles. If a battery powered car can get me out of gas station trips, oil changes, transmission services, failed MAF sensor replacements, oxygen sensor failures, fuel system cleanings, fuel filter changes, injector changes, glow plug changes, timing belt services, drop my cost/mile AND make me giggle when I press that pedal to the floor, I'm all over it. EVs won't win with the average Joe because of virtue signaling, they're going to win because they will just be better. There are some real rough spots in the user experience right now, but there is so much money being thrown at them (for good reasons or bad reasons, take your pick) that those are not going to stay a problem.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast