Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dying RCBS Chargemaster 1500

Boolit Buddy

Dying RCBS Chargemaster 1500

Hi all,

Sometime prior to November 2018 I purchased an RCBS Chargemaster 1500. I bought the trickler to go with it in November of 2018.

It has been a real workhorse, and I really liked it, and I have been using it to throw all my competition charges for N-SSA competition since then. I am using it for black powder (yes, I know they say not to - many BP shooters do so anyway).

A couple of months ago the beep started to act up. It would beep more like a "gurgle", as if the speaker had a bad connection. Then the beep stopped altogether. This did not bother me much as the scale continued to function.

Now the display has gone on the fritz. Every LCD segment is lit up all the time, so you cannot read the display.

I called RCBS, and they directed me to Lone Mountain Communications for repair. https://lonemountaincommunications.com/

I called them, and they wanted $155 or something to refurbish both the scale and the trickler, but wanted $175 to replace the scale with a new one!

I took my unit apart, blew off the electronics with compressed air, re-seated all the connections, and put it back together. Unit beeps again and seems to work again, for now anyway.

I'm a little annoyed that I spent $300 or so on a scale setup that is now dying. I know we live in the era of disposable things, and maybe 5 years is enough to expect out of a $150 scale, but to me things like this should last pretty much indefinitely. I still have my dad's Texas Instruments calculator from like 1970 and it still ticks along just fine. As I recall it cost a small fortune back in the day.

I've considered dumping another $175 on a new RCBS Chargemaster 1500 (Lone Mountain sells them on ebay), but then I'm buying old technology and it may well fail again just like this one did in another 5 years.

I see RCBS now sells a "lite" dispenser that seems to have the scale and trickler integrated as a single unit. It's about $300:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018264281

Frankford Arsenal has one for about $170.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019601974

Lyman and Hornady also make them.

I'm a little gunshy on RCBS now.

What do you all think or recommend?

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    I found this review of various tricklers:

https://www.gun-tests.com/accessorie...ers-compete-5/

I quite despise rcbs, I've had multiple issues similar to you. But, for those digital scales, I'm convinced the rcbs one is the best, I just really don't like how you pretty much have to modify them right out of the box by going to McDonald's...

I've got a fair bit of experience with digital scales/balances. My grandpa runs a small analytical lab testing oil well runoff water. The issue with the scales like the rcbs is in how they work, they use strain gauges, which are physically prone to drift, and makers of them know this, so they're literally programmed to write off small changes as drift, so if you trickle too slow, the scale calls it drift. If you can get the trickle rate dialed in, they're plenty accurate and fast.

If you want a fast, automatic powder dispenser, I recommend one of two courses.
    First, and I know these are not a feasible option for a lot of people because of the price, but get the autotrickler that's coupled with an analytical grade balance such as the a&d fx or the sartorius balances. They are well worth the money. I can throw 95.00 grains of rl33 faster than I can dump it in a case and seat a bullet. Exact, +.00, -.02 grains, just about every time, and I absolutely know it's nuts on. Worth the money, but I know a grand plus on a scale is tough for a lot of people to swallow.

If you still feel like you want the convenience of an automated dispenser, get another chargemaster.

If you don't want to go with another rcbs, the only other course I recommend is going back to the old school way, with a beam balance and hand trickling. I'm just really not a fan of strain gauge scales.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nhyrum; 07-19-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master

I have used RCBS Chargemaster and Hornadys Auto Charge and I much prefer the Hornady.
    I can program the Auto Charge to my liking.
    Programing the Charge Master is a PITA in my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Timely for me. I am thinking about a Lite but keep putting it off till I know I am going to be doing a lot of rifle loading.

I really like the concept but don't see them lasting and I am a luddite.

My 1970’s Redding scale and RCBS trickled still work as good as the day they were new. I know the electronic stuff make reloading easier and faster, but I’ll stick with my primitive tools.

Boolit Buddy
    At the beginning of 2020 my Hornady Auto-Charge was damaged somehow. It remains unclear exactly what happened, but as best I can surmise something must’ve fallen into it. I decided that plastic is no longer for me, and subsequently bought a Redding 3BR and scale. I’ve since found it to be faster and more accurate than the Hornady ever was. My vote would be a good quality cast iron volumetric powder measure. Add the dram worx pyrodex powder hopper and it will last literally forever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I quite despise rcbs, I've had multiple issues similar to you. But, for those digital scales, I'm convinced the rcbs one is the best, I just really don't like how you pretty much have to modify them right out of the box by going to McDonald's...

I've got a fair bit of experience with digital scales/balances. My grandpa runs a small analytical lab testing oil well runoff water. The issue with the scales like the rcbs is in how they work, they use strain gauges, which are physically prone to drift, and makers of them know this, so they're literally programmed to write off small changes as drift, so if you trickle too slow, the scale calls it drift. If you can get the trickle rate dialed in, they're plenty accurate and fast.

If you want a fast, automatic powder dispenser, I recommend one of two courses.
    First, and I know these are not a feasible option for a lot of people because of the price, but get the autotrickler that's coupled with an analytical grade balance such as the a&d fx or the sartorius balances. They are well worth the money. I can throw 95.00 grains of rl33 faster than I can dump it in a case and seat a bullet. Exact, +.00, -.02 grains, just about every time, and I absolutely know it's nuts on. Worth the money, but I know a grand plus on a scale is tough for a lot of people to swallow.

If you still feel like you want the convenience of an automated dispenser, get another chargemaster.

If you don't want to go with another rcbs, the only other course I recommend is going back to the old school way, with a beam balance and hand trickling. I'm just really not a fan of strain gauge scales.

I use the RCBS, but that autotrickler is sharp! More precision than I need by a long shot, but still tempting.

Banned
    Just got done talking with the RCBS rep, she said I need to wipe down my chargemaster regularly with antistatic cloths/drier sheets.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 07-20-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I use the RCBS, but that autotrickler is sharp! More precision than I need by a long shot, but still tempting.
    It really is. I lucked out and got a pretty screaming once in a lifetime deal. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have it

Boolit Master
    Have the RCBS Chargemaster since they were first introduced.............could be twenty years, now. Use it almost exclusively. I have my own backyard range and shoot a lot. Never wiped it down with antistatic cloths/dryer sheets. Survived the move from Michigan to Arkansas.

This past Spring, I lost the display. Was thinking of replacing it with the Lite version. Then I figured it might be the electric adaptor/transformer. Friend has one, about the same age as mine, borrowed his transformer. Bingo, it was working again. Went on Amazon and found a replacement for about seven dollars. Been working ever since.

Winelover

I'm a little annoyed that I spent $300 or so on a scale setup that is now dying. I know we live in the era of disposable things, and maybe 5 years is enough to expect out of a $150 scale, but to me things like this should last pretty much indefinitely. I still have my dad's Texas Instruments calculator from like 1970 and it still ticks along just fine.
    The TI Datamath calculator that was only a 4 function calculator back then cost more than $100 (that’s $650 today https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inf...972?amount=100 ) but was built here and the one I have also still works. Now they are so cheap, even one that has memory function, square root, and is solar powered (the data math uses 6 nicads or has to be plugged in to the wall) and are often given away as gifts with company logos on them. No one would attempt to repair a $0.94 calculator. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-...ctedSellerId=0

How about something with much less electronics that can deliver even more repeatability?

While that does not eliminate electronics it does greatly reduce the number of things that can go wrong and make it a simple enough device where troubleshooting if a problem develops down the road, should be simple.

I had an RCBS combo unit. It went bad. RCBS nor PACT would fix it. I got the Franklin Arsenal unit. I have been very satisfied with it.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Last I heard, RCBS' famous "life-time" warranty for electric stuff was two years. Seems maybe they know what they're doing. ???

No one has a repair shop for cheep electronic stuff, when they get a warranty return they toss it and send a new one back.

I just got an email response back 5 minutes ago on my misbehaving RCBS Chargemaster 1500 from their tech support. A check list, and the contact info to Lone Mountain Communications for repairs.

The check sheet said to loosen the two screws on the right hand underside (one on the scale and one on the dispenser). I haven't tried that before, so I will give it a go.

Mine starts up, but when the initial startup countdown is done, the scale starts incrementally increasing the displayed weight unceasingly until you turn it off. Just keeps climbing up in weight with nothing on the load cell platen.

I have only used this unit a half dozen times, in the unusual event that I load on a single stage. Really chaps my behind that I spent the money I did on it to get just a few uses out of it. It has been stored in my air conditioned reloading room it's whole life.

My other point is to reread winelover's post above. My transformer was putting out 14 volts. So I used a known good 9volt 1amp transformer, but it did not correct my problem. The case on the original transformer actually came apart the last time I pulled it out of the outlet on my work bench...

I cannot justify spending good money after bad to have it repaired. If it had performed faithfully for many years, maybe it would be worth it. I guess the next step is to break it open and see if there is some powder jammed up anywhere. At this point, there is nothing to lose by doing so.

Boolit Buddy
    Where are you guys getting these balance beam + trickle setups? I've never heard of such a thing!

I ended up ordering a new RCBS Chargemaster Lite.

My 1500 started going on the fritz again. I decided rather than pay $175 for a new one of old technology that might die again I'll bite the bullet and buy the latest design.

When the new one comes in I am going to disassemble the old one and try re-flowing solder joints to see if it helps. I will also check the AC adapter output.

I'm a little annoyed by the Lone Mountain Communications people as they want $155 to repair both the scale+trickler (plus you have to pay shipping both ways). You would think that repairing the scale only would be much less. Basically if only your scale is broken LMC you have no repair option that isn't any cheaper than just buying a new scale from them.

Boolit Master
    Yup. Good electronics techs don't/won't work for free and a properly equipped repair/calibration shop itself isn't cheep. If a consumer market device craps out just toss it and buy new, you'll at least get a new warranty.

Where are you guys getting these balance beam + trickle setups? I've never heard of such a thing!
    I made mine with the parts shown in #13. One can get the photoelectric switch, gear motor, latching push button, 12v dc transformer and relay off eBay for <$40 shipped to your door.

The photoelectric switch that senses the beam movement is just under $8 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/p/1053390233

If you are a DIY guy you might have some of the other stuff already.

Boolit Master

BTW, Hornady replaced my Auto Charge, at no charge, when I had problems with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast