MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press hack for deflecting spent primers.

Press hack for deflecting spent primers.

Hi. I have an RCBS Rock Chucker press that I have been using and loving it. I’m sure all of you that have all the “new fangled” 3-D printed primer catchers on your presses don’t have this problem. But I have an issue with the spent primers getting stuck in the groove where the primer arm sits. It’s not that big of a deal, but just kind of annoying to have to pick them out.
    I came up with this simple solution: use a small disc-shaped rare earth magnet to hold the primer arm forward thereby blocking the groove with the primer arm spring.
    I’m sure this would also work on other “O” style presses with a cast iron frame.
    Happy Reloading!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ironwrx; 07-19-2021 at 12:17 AM.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    You have a creative solution!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I solved that problem in a different way, U got tired of the spent primers jamming thigs up I removed the wings Funnel Primer catcher and the Priming arm assy completely I deprime and prime by hand. My sequence is Deprime all the cases involved, WetTumble w/pins, Dry cases in Dehydrator Size cases Prime cases, charge cases, Mount Bullet to proper depth Crimp neck, repeat if needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decapper.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	286321

Although your solution is very simple I solved that problem by buying one of these. No more primers on the floor either which to me was the bigger problem.

I like your solution though.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I bought my FA Habd depriming tool When they first showed up at Cabellas They are more expensive now, Mine only cost $19

Boolit Master
    My Lee single stage was doing similar things recently. A thorough cleaning resolved that issue.

That is a great idea. I’ll have to try it.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Good one Jon.

Are you sure that Rockchucker wouldn't look good in maybe-- red?? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good thinking.

I bought one of those 3D printer thingys for depriming military brass on my RC. But once that is done, the little catcher bottle on the Co-Ax does the job. BTW, much of my military brass is machine gun stuff so the RC gets that chore for the first sizing/depriming.

But I like your solution.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Good one Jon.

Are you sure that Rockchucker wouldn't look good in maybe-- red?? jd
    …or maybe just yellow accents, and it could be called John Deere edition.

Boolit Master

Thanks - I have the problem when processing Small Rifle and Small pistol primed brass. Does not seem to happen with Large Rifle/Large Pistol primes brass. Once a couple primers plug the gap; then they all roll into the RCBS Rockchucker catcher tray.

Funny; Bought my Rockchucker press in 1975 and have "Lived with It" for a few years - and a simple magnet could have stopped the issue.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Good idea, now to work on how to keep handle from falling down.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    With my old Lee turret press I turned the ram around, and made a tray to catch them. I never primed on it anyway. My new Lee presses have hollow rams and tubes to funnel the primers into a bottle.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Banned
    That's one thing I love about this forum, people thinking outside the box to creatively solve problems.

It never fails to amaze me how even the simplest solutions can allude us

Agree with that, conditioner! The 3D printer section suckered me in real good! But before that thread influenced me to buy a 3D printer and go off on that fun tangent, I used simpler methods....Ironwrk! Your mod disease may get worse!
    My older Rock Chucker also begged for little changes to modernize it and make it faster. I was convinced there were easy ways to improve it. The following video showed the first step. The second step was a case kicker. I'll share what I did with you here....and maybe convince more in the hobby that simple modding is fun.

Below, I made a case kicker to make it faster, which called for some more epoxy putty and a dremel, to cut a hole in the spent primer tray for an epoxy ramp that carries cases to a container. Oh BTW, You can see the all important McDonalds straw in the slot of the ram in the next video....that's just a press-in too.

What's faster and easier than that?........ah.....a new Lee APP for only 80 bucks!... I mean the thing has a case feeder no less!
    Last edited by GWS; 07-19-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    How about just removing the primer arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    Valid question.....I actually tried that first.....some primers fell behind the primer tray and onto the floor......so I molded the ramp....and it's so easy to do...just coat the pin and the inside of the slot with vaseline, so the epoxy won't stick to it, then press in the putty and shape the smooth side of the ramp with the edge of the removed primer arm.

The straw in the ram slot and the epoxy top ramp keeps primers moving only where you want them. Before I thought of that primers bounced on the flat of the press and flew who knows where.
    Last edited by GWS; 07-19-2021 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    The primer arm is not the problem. The groove that houses the primer arm is where the little primers end up getting caught. The primer arm (spring) is actually part of the solution!! See pictures.

Nice simple solution.

Boolit Master

I bought a "Case Kicker" for My RC when RCBS brought them out in the 1980's. I got used to primers all over the garage floor.
    Ya gotta sweep the floor anyway so it never bothered me much.
    Got a 3D primer catcher from ebay, it fits Behind the ram. Works just great.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast