Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Which bullet jacket brands do you prefer and why?

Banned

Which bullet jacket brands do you prefer and why?

What brand do you guys like? What brands are out there? And why do you choose that brand?

Boolit Master

Sierra has given Excellent accuracy for me for 60+yrs. Great on Antelope too.
    Nosler Partition almost as accurate. Wonderful on Hogs, took down My first Elk with one shot, 180grs in a .30-06. A 5x6 in Colorado 1970.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Berger and Rocky Mountain are awesome for longer range work, hard to not mention Woodleigh for probably everything else.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Hines makes good jackets as well

Boolit Master
    Well I started up on Sierra but over the years I have sorta switched over to Speer because it seams like Sierra wanted to change me 10 dollars more a hundred just because they put their name on the box . But lately Hornady has been getting my attention a lot more .
    I pick the style and weight of the bullet I am interested in shooting than I try a few to see if my rifle likes them .
    My reply was about bullets commercially manufactured not jackets , my mistake .
    Last edited by toallmy; 07-21-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I was taught to reload using Hornady bullets in 1991 and while I do use Sierra for my M1 Garand loads I stick with Hornady for all of my other Jacket bullet needs.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I use J4 jackets for rifle bullets and Speer jackets (when I can get them) for pistol bullets.
    There's not much to choose from up here, so I usually have a relative bring them up when they visit.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Mold
    What jackets l use, basically at the present time, what ever you can find, J4, Sierra & Hinse Tactical all rifle jackets. But prefer Sierra, point-up great, and Sierra are getting more available (when you can find them) But some issues l have found with Sierra jackets that, some are a bit tarnished, and washing
    But…..the issues are different manufacturers, means need more punches to suit,($’s��) or as l have recently found a smaller core diameter ��
    Happy Bullet Swaging

Boolit Buddy
    I use what ever I can find. I like Sierra best and J4 a very close second. I also use derimed .22lr brass. I recently found about 9 thousand Sierra .224/705 at a good price. These work excellent with my BT Sniper dies. And Yes they need to be polished before swaging starts.

I have used J4 jackets for a long time. I also use Hines Tactical when I can find the ones I want. Sierras are great but the selection on their web site is limited. Since Lapua took over at Berger, getting jackets directly has become problematic: they ship once a year and they put a minimum quantity requirement in place. Plus the reps have had an attitude the last couple of times I called. You will need to shop to find jackets of any brand right now. Have a look at Center X if you do not need large quantities. He is great to deal with.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used RCE for 357/mag. 9/mm, 357/sig and 44/mag pistol. Before he went out of business I was able to purchase a combination of about 15/K jackets enough to probably last my lifetime. His prices were the best around. If I would have known he was going out of business I probably would have bought him out of all of them. To late now.
    Now that I'm more heavily into swaging I use 9/mm drawn cases for 357/mag, 40/S&W cases for 45/ACP and 45/ACP for 50/AE and 500/S&W.
    It's actually cheaper using cases for jackets than using gas checks for the price. Plus your making a fully jacketed bullet vs a cast bullet.
    It's taken a few years to get to this point but the benefits of making your own bullets will last a lifetime.
    If you could make your own primers that would make you 50% self sufficient.
    Powder is the only other 50% component required to be 100% self sufficient.
    Just some of the things accomplished over the last five years.

Boolit Grand Master

Sierra and J4 are the only ones I have used for rifle.

Some good comparisons here

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...Bullet-Jackets
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Hornady, because they are cheaper... but any reputable brand on sale for cheaper, gets bought.

Boolit Grand Master

The OP asked about what bullet jackets are available and what you jackets manufactures you prefer in the swaging forum. He did not asked about jacketed bullets...................
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The OP asked about what bullet jackets are available and what you jackets manufactures you prefer in the swaging forum. He did not asked about jacketed bullets...................
    You're absolutely correct, and I didn't realize that until after I posted.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk