Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Any electronics experts or tinkerers here?

Boolit Master

Any electronics experts or tinkerers here?

I'm doing some cleaning up and getting rid of a lot of junk. I have these two controllers here that were replaced at work; I salvaged them years ago with the thought that I'd repair and use them. I thought they'd be good for a lead pot or PC oven.

I don't recall why we replaced them, but I do remember taking one apart and IIRC it had a bulged cap or two. I have a degree in electronics but don't do that kind of work on a regular basis. I'm sure I could figure them out but have come to the conclusion that I'm just not going to get around to it.

So, into the garbage they go, unless someone here wants them. No guarantees they're good for anything but parts, but you're welcome to them for the price of postage ($8.50).

If you work on stuff like this and think these aren't worth the time to fiddle with, let me know and I'll toss them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1462[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	286296

Edit- just had the thought that this wasn't the best place to put this. If a moderator wants to move it to a more appropriate forum, please do.

Boolit Master

I would junk them. New, known good ones are cheap. Even the high end ones are sub 50 bucks. With chinese ones 10 to 20 bucks and surprising good quality and reliable.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Good to know, thank you. I'll go ahead and toss them.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple good ones here. One is new other was replaced due to a bad thermistor. (It sucks going in needed to make sure someone else did everything right and then diagnose it.)

I used to do a lot of component level repair. Hands and eyes make it hard these days. I need to replace an onboard voltage regulator in my receiver at the moment but putting it off.

Maybe hold on to them for a day or two and see if someone younger wants to play with them.

Boolit Master
    I have an EET with a decade in component level repair. Currently a test engineer for Siemens. Electronics isn't what it used to be. I can barely give away high quality automation stuff on E-Bay. Best bet is to scrap them.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

They're in the pile to go to the dumpster. Garbage doesn't go out until Thursday, so if anyone wants them before then, they're yours. I can't imagine they're worth the trouble to tinker with though, with new stuff being so cheap.

We were going to scrap and replace a $900 AC unit at work a while back. It wasn't that old so I did some basic troubleshooting on it. I ended up buying a <$10 control relay from Amazon, did a little soldering, and it's still working great several years later. I didn't get much credit for it though, was just told "Nobody does that anymore". They were fine with just replacing it. Everything is disposable.

Boolit Master
    Don't just junk it. Make sure that you can get it to an electronics recycler if possible.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I am a factory rep for Precision Digital and those things are really antiques!

The new generations of displays and controllers run circles around those!

The garbage can is a perfect resting place for them.

banger