WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30-30 Winchester load work up

Banned

30-30 Winchester load work up

Alright y'all, tell me what you think. I'm interested in working up a load for 150 grain cast bullet in my Winchester Model 94AE in 30-30 Winchester. I'm looking at using IMR 8208XBR. I've checked in my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, I'm using the Lee # 309-150-F bullet. In the Lyman there is a load for IMR 3031 which is almost exactly the same burn rate and both are extruded propellants. The start charge weight for IMR 3031 21.8 grains, I'm looking at a start charge in the same area for the IMR 8208 or maybe slightly lower, say 21 grains.
    So, you guys who have more knowledge than I please weigh in.

Boolit Buddy
    TG - burn rate is not the only basis for powder comparison for cast bullets. Also important is how the powder handles lower pressures.

For instance, Benchmark (Bench Mark 2 in Aus) is supposedly of similar burning rate to 3031. Perhaps it is, but it also exhibits really variable velocity at the lower CB pressures. In .30-30 this translates into vertical stringing. The factor is approximately 2" shot displacement at 50 meters per 100 fps of velocity - whether measured shot to shot or group against group. Nice round cast bullet groups in .30-30 go with tight ES/SD.

Your 8208 powder is also in the ADI Benchmark family, so I will be interested to hear if it also exhibits irregular velocities at lower pressure.

The older ADI 2206 was considered as 3031 equivalent and shot beautifully with 25 gns behind the Lee 150 gn bullet. The newer and slightly slower 2206H (H4895) is also claimed by ADI to be suitable for downloading, and does fairly well with 26 gns and a 170 gn cast bullet. For .30-30 cast bullets, best look for a powder that does well at lower pressures. Others may be able to contribute on this point.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 07-18-2021 at 07:28 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master
    3031 is supposed to be the powder for 30-30. I have some that I used in 223 to try it out, but not haven't in 30-30 yet. W748 has worked for me pretty well in both calibers. It seems to work at lower pressures as well.

The circa 2015 Hodgdon manual shows 27 grs starting load of 8208xbr for the 160 jacketed bullet at 2045 fps. Your 150gr Lee would be fine since it's lighter in weight.
    It shows to be 33,900 cup with the FTX 160gr, less than the starting load of 3031.
    I'd call Hodgdon about going lower on the charge.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

Just the type of info I was looking for here. So, this project will be on hold till I hear from Hodgdon. Also I forgot to mention in the original post that the Lee pill is gas checked.

Banned

Good news for me! I just received an email from Hodgdon, saying that this powder (IMR 8208XBR) will work for my Lee C309-150-F bullet. He said the starting load of 30.0 grains pruduces 2200 fps from a 24 inch bbl. Hornady lists a starting load at 29.1 grains, I recommend starting there and see what happens.
    Here is my starting point, I'll post results for any who are interested.
    Last edited by tankgunner59; 07-20-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Used 8208XBR for 308W jacketed, worked real well. Never tried in 30/30 as have other powders that work fine. Pretty much unavailable here now.
    Whatever!

Banned

I have data for jacketed bullets in all of my rifle calibers, but not any cast. So I contacted Hodgdon and received that email, so now I'm going to do my ladder testing to develop my load. I'll post what I find.

I generally use jacketed data for cast, seldom a problem.
    Whatever!

I generally use jacketed data for cast, seldom a problem.
    Whatever!