WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: .45Colt shot loads

Boolit Bub

.45Colt shot loads

I have been using Speer shot capsules in my Virginia Dragoon in .45 colt using 8 grains of AA#5 and #8 shot which weighs 171.4 grains average. This load seems to be a high end load just due to recoil and blast but I found a listing for #5 powder to be minimum 10.8 grains with a maximum of 12.0 grains for a 185 grain bullet. This seems to be too high even I know my dragoon would take it easily. I still don't want to use unsafe loads. The capsule container came with a load of 7.5 grains of unique but I have not been able to get any for a while. Has anyone on the forum have any experience with the .45 Colt shot capsules before I try the hotter load.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that patterns are better with a lighter powder charge. I use 5 grains of Bullseye for shot loads in .44 Magnum, .44-40 and .45 Colt.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I haven't used the shot capsules. Instead, I cut styrofoam wads out of meat trays. Use one over the powder. And one over the shot. They are thick, so the capacity for shot is greatly reduced. My best patterns are st 5', from a 7-1/2" barrel. Using 6 gr of bullseye. To cut the wads, I use a fired case, with the case mouth sharpened

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

You'll probably get more response if you post your questions in the "Shot Shell Loads for Pistols" section.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Bub

Yes! I realized my mistake after it was posted. Anyway Outpost 75 was most likely right since I do get a good pattern with at 15 to 20ft. with 8 grains of #5 powder. I'll stick with what works. I will be more careful where I post next time. Thanks