RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek upper blow up?

Banned

Bear Creek upper blow up?

Is my Bear Creek Arsenal upper dangerous?

Will it blow up?

I recently bought Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62x39, 16" Parkerized Heavy Barrel, 1:10 Twist, Carbine Length Gas System, 15" MLOK Rail|Side Charging Upper(Gen 2) SKU: 911-UASCH762CHB16110P-15M3

Naturally, the first thing I did was slug the barrel. I measured it then I slugged it again and again!!!!!!!

All the results were the same .306[measured with a Starret micrometer] on a 7.62x39 [I heard US barrels run small BUT .003?]

What size did your BCA 7.62x39 slug out at?

So I did a little research "Bullet diameter 7.85–7.9 mm (0.309–0.311") SAAMI[1] 7.92 mm (0.312") CIP[2]"

The bullets on the factory ammo I have measure .310!

Running jacketed ammo that's .004 over slugged bore dimensions doesn't seem safe to me.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

**Bear Creek Arsenal says the upper has a 300 AAC BO feed ramp. Sure I could cast and load 30 cal boolits but what if I want/need to shoot factory bullets?

I have an SKS and hate to load 2 different size boolits in my cartridges **
    Last edited by Conditor22; 07-18-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Master

Is that .306 bore or groove diameter? If it's groove dia. I'd return it unfired as clearly well under spec.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from BCA. Not long ago they got raided by Feds and many of their "employees" were found to be illegal aliens (arrested and deported). Despite my warning, a nephew bought a 458BM upper from them in '20 and had to return 3 of them before he got one without SIGNIFICANT issues ie bad bore w/rifling that skipped in places, crooked over-size chamber etc. Just a poor company in my opinion.

Added info:
    Popular Sanford, North Carolina-based Bear Creek Arsenal, makers of AR-15 platform rifles, pistols and component parts, was raided by ICE agents earlier today.

From wral.com:

About 30 people were taken into custody in Sanford on Tuesday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office said.

The operation was conducted at Bear Creek Arsenal, a gun manufacturing company in Sanford, and was the result of an ongoing investigation that dealt with identity theft and fraud, authorities said.

.@ICEgov confirms they executed a search warrant this morning at Bear Creek Arsenal in Sanford. They are calling it “an ongoing investigation.” @ABC11_WTVD pic.twitter.com/Xyh6daCOvo

— Michael Perchick (@MichaelPerchick) February 5, 2019
    Last edited by RoyEllis; 07-18-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

I got the same upper GRMPS I'll let you know if I have problems. Gp

Boolit Master
    I built one for a friend a few months ago. No complaints from him he had me order another upper. It is still sitting here somewhere I'll see if I can find it and check the barrel.

Their customer service seems to be pretty responsive so you might get ahold of them.

I sent Bear Creek an Email after slugging the bore on my 7.62X39 upper's barrel asking if they used a .308 bore. Like mentioned above it seemed tight. About three weeks later I got an Email thanking me for the purchase of their product and nothing else. Gp

Mine didn't and my sons didn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear Creek 7.62 Upper.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	286291

My momma used to tell me "Don't borrow trouble." I think you're borrowing trouble (or maybe measuring your slug with a set of calipers).

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

It seems to be hit or miss these days. I got an upper from Palmetto State Armory and had to send it back.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    This barrel is fine here. I would recheck and if you get the same results get ahold of them. I pulled a Tula. It was .310. Barrel slugged .3095.

Banned

had a bushmaster 762x39 and it slugged 308. Id about bet most ars are 308. Even some mini 30s were. Never had a single pressure related problem with that bushmaster but it feed so crappy that i probably only put 500 rounds through it before i traded it off. Anymore if i want a 30 ar i stick with 300bos or my newest the 300hmr. 762x39s get shot out of what they were designed to be shot out of an AK.

Banned
    I spent most of today trying to call BCA --- no answer.
    I did E-mail and IM them.
    I will try calling then E-mail and IM them again tomorrow ---- until I get a response

Boolit Master

I know Ruger a d T/C used 308 bores in the 7.62x39 barrels. 306 is of coarse smaller
    Still.

Id be wanting to hear what BCA had to say for them selves. I had to deal with them on a short chambered 6.5 Grendel. They replaced the barrel with a UPGRADED barrel and it was a good shooter.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have a 458 socom upper from them that’s shoots really well. I bought it just to try it out. Since then I have gotten a 50 Beowulf, 6.5 grendel, 223 wylde and a 308. I have never had issue with any of them. I think there just hit and miss because my friend had to return his 6.5 creedmoor but the second one was great

Boolit Buddy
    Guess it’s a hit or miss: I’ve got 50 Beo from them in the early 2020; no complaints so far.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a 458 SOCOM upper and 7.62X39 upper. Both run fine. FWIW
    Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I know Ruger a d T/C used 308 bores in the 7.62x39 barrels. 306 is of coarse smaller
    Still.

Id be wanting to hear what BCA had to say for them selves. I had to deal with them on a short chambered 6.5 Grendel. They replaced the barrel with a UPGRADED barrel and it was a good shooter.

CW
    makes me wonder if psa doesnt source there barrels from the same place. My psa grendel would run my ammo unless i used small base dies and cammed the press over so hard that crap flys off the bench. Sized like that it runs perfectly though. Only factory ammo it would run a 100percent believe it or not is wolf.

Boolit Master

In mine, factory ammo (plunk test) would stick. So short chamber/throat?? If ya tried to load, Bolt would not close.

BCA was responsive and quick but they wanted the barrel back before doing anything.

Is it an odd or even number of rifling?

As far as bear creek I gave up on them after 3 barrels with issues. Two (308 & 5.56) have the same tight neck that CW spoke of. My son is a little more optimistic and ordered a 7.5" upper for his SBR. Out of the box the gas tube was bent and it wouldn't cycle because of it. Easy enough fix. First time to the range, noticed that the cartridges were sticking in the chamber due to a tight neck. He thought it might just need shot some more so he shot three 30rnd mags out of it and brought the gun over to me as the barrel nut was loose enough the handguard and barrel would flop around. I already told him to ship it back and let it be their problem but he thinks it's fixable..... It's a nitride barrel so you can't run a HSS chamber reamer in to clean up the neck without wrecking the reamer so his best hope is to lap the neck to open it up a couple thousands to stop the unfired cartridges from sticking. It headspaces fine.

Several years back when the 1903 springfield demill barrels were $10 each I'd made a 762x39 upper using one. Still shoots just fine with no broken lugs.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 07-20-2021 at 11:35 AM.

The AR is such a popular platform with many folks trying to cash in. I am not surprised there is lots of crap sold in the low end of the market. Using "Mojado" labor should tell you all you want to know about that business. They are cutting every possible corner.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Did ya get a answer yet?

Im betting they will take care of you.

Good luck brother

CW

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Bear Creek 458 Socom barrel, and a Tromix 458 Socom barrel. The Bear Creek slugs at .457, and the Tromix at .458. I've had a few chambering issues with the Bear Creek, which may stem from my unfamiliarity with the 458 Socom. But, I believe that its ch amber is a bit on the tight side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast