MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek upper blow up?

Banned
    3rd day
    Tried calling BCA again today, left messages --- no answer.
    I did E-mail and IM them AGAIN.
    I will try calling, E-mail and IM them again daily ---- until I get a response

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    3rd day
    Tried calling BCA again today, left messages --- no answer.
    I did E-mail and IM them AGAIN.
    I will try calling, E-mail and IM them again daily ---- until I get a response
    At this point, I think my only contact would be a request for an RMA to return the defective upper, and receive a full refund.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Bought a 350 Legend upper from them last year. Don't have any factory ammo as yet. my son bought two boxes in Dallas and will bring them to me when he comes to see me. We "built" three rifles using my Bridgeport mill to mill the receivers. My barrel slugged at .356. My home made five hole boolit mold produces more than one diameter. I made some sizing dies from .360, .359,.358, .357, to .3565. last group that I shot was 1.10 inch group at 48 yards. Any cartridge measuring more than .3565 will not chamber. Then DIYed a swage tool that produces concentric boolits, and changes some .357 SWC to a more pointed small flat nose that will feed. I need to shoot them next to see performance. Using 4198 powder because more available. Going up the ladder it seems that when getting close to 1900 fps. the chrono shows more variation shot to shot and less accuracy, and no more velocity than previous load. I called the company (last year, say October] and the person was very helpful after I gave him the slugged dimensions telling me that if I could not get the upper functioning properly to send it back and he would send me another one. I did mention SAMMI specs. These raids mentioned above is probably the reason for no response from them. What say you?
    The milling machine receiver picture slipped past me upside down. Sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200713_164927[1].jpg   diy bullet mold (2).jpg   IMG_20210316_104221 (2).jpg   IMG_20210311_093014.jpg   20200514_123006.jpg  

I purchased an AR-15 upper receiver 16” 7.62x39 4150 CMV H-BAR 1-10T barrel in 2019 from a different vendor. A few months later decided to go ahead and assemble AR with all the goodies. Purchased some Wolf 7.62x39 123gr FMJ ammo for break-in and zeroing in scope. Generally, can get scope zeroed with just a few shots if on paper initially.

Well, this is where the fun began! From a seated and rested position I began my zeroing ritual! Three shots, windage and elevation adjustments...bullseye! Feeling quite good about it I decided to send a few more! To my astonishment, nothing on paper and I'm thinking what the heck is going on!? Checking scope for loose mount, loose scope rings or a reticle problem. Nope, all good there, so I send a few more and realize point of impact is high and approximately 2 foot right of target?

Okay, did I pull those shots that bad? Confidence waning at this point, I made my windage and elevation adjustments again and bullseye!! Yeah! get you some of that I thought! Let's send some more and I was off the freaking paper again!? What the...is going on!? I happened to pick-up and inspect a spent shell case and to my surprise the primer was bulged out? Then I started looking at all spent cases I could find and they had the same bulge issue, pressure problems?

I dropped the magazine and cleared the rifle, back to my reloading room where I disassembled and cleaned rifle. At this point, I'm scratching my head attempting to figure out just what in the heck is going on? I decided to slug the barrel, checked slug with calipers and to my surprise .308, again checked .308!! Well, checked and rechecked that slug for several minutes...308!

I decided to order some 7.62x39 Starline brass and Hornady .308 110gr FMJ-BT projectiles. Worked up some loads and she's a shooter now! I kept the upper knowing that I'll have to reload for it, I really like it and it shoots great!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Banned
    I have a chi-com SKS and this upper. I don't want to have different diameters for 2 guns.
    I have several differences for my 9MM, the European guns generally run large needing .360.

I'm hoping this was a mistake and they have a bigger barrel they can replace this with.

these sites should list the bore diameter not just the designation.

Banned
    Got an E-mail from BCA, rep said they are having phone problems. I Will let you know what happens.

Boolit Master
    Most all us companies that make 7.62/39 rifles use a 308 barrel .

Reply to one of their numerous marketing emails. I was in limbo on a shipping issue from them. I replied to one of their newsletters, wondering why I would buy something else from them when nobody wold tell me where my LAST purchase had disappeared to. Basically, venting.

Surprise, surprise. Someone responded within a couple of hours and solved my issue.

Boolit Buddy
    BCA is known to put out crap, best to avoid them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Got an E-mail from BCA, rep said they are having phone problems. I Will let you know what happens.
    . ♥️♥️♥️
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multra View Post
    BCA is known to put out crap, best to avoid them.
    . Thats entirely unfair. People LOVE TO COMPLAIN, but seldom PROCLAIM!!

I would say buyer beware. Know you may need to address issues. But costs will be far less then most.

Many here have stated satisfaction. Even after some disappointment. Self included. I have a 450 Bushmaster thats been PERFECT once I got a good magazine & load.

CW

GRMPS: Had my BCA 7.62X39 10 1/2" AR pistol out to the range today for the first function test and have to say it went very well. I'm going to post the load here and how I came by it but as always this is my pistol and everybody's on there own if they use it. A Noe 129gr SP @ 2.050 C.O.L. Powder coated and gas checked sized .309 somewhere around clip on wheel weight or a bit less BHN. over 28gr. H335. Perfect function and holds the bolt back after last round. Super clean burn for a short barrel. Twenty rounds fired. Cleaned up with three dry patches and no sign of any leading. Hodgdon's on line site lists the Hornady 150gr. jacketed bullet at a start of 27gr. max. 29gr. With my bullet 15gr. lighter and cast I started at 28 and got lucky as the fired primers all looked good and function was perfect. Not to say the wheels might not fall off down the road but happy with the first try. Now to get the scope mounted and see if it will hit the barn from the inside. Gp

Boolit Master
    Ary you sure you can accurately measue this? It is very easy to be off by a couple of thousandths. .

I used to collect Swiss K-31's and slugged most of the barrels of the rifles I owned. They ran .306" to .307" (typical of these rifles) and of course I shot .308" jacketed bullets through them. Never a single problem and phenomenal accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    . Thats entirely unfair. People LOVE TO COMPLAIN, but seldom PROCLAIM!!

I would say buyer beware. Know you may need to address issues. But costs will be far less then most.

Many here have stated satisfaction. Even after some disappointment. Self included. I have a 450 Bushmaster thats been PERFECT once I got a good magazine & load.

CW
    This is so, so true. People are quick to see scream negatives to the heavens, but withhold praise.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    1 I don't think it will blow up.

2 I'm sure the bear creek are all junk review came from someone that thinks Lee is junk.

I've built three. They could use a little more polish and fit but then they would cost a lot more and I would have to worry about it bouncing in the back of my truck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    1 I don't think it will blow up.

2 I'm sure the bear creek are all junk review came from someone that thinks Lee is junk.

I've built three. They could use a little more polish and fit but then they would cost a lot more and I would have to worry about it bouncing in the back of my truck.
    Slow down here! I like Bear Creek just fine but that Lee stuff..........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The AR is such a popular platform with many folks trying to cash in. I am not surprised there is lots of crap sold in the low end of the market. Using "Mojado" labor should tell you all you want to know about that business. They are cutting every possible corner.
    that and if you factor in you can slap together a decent ar15 for less money then a ruger american savage axis mossberg atr ect. I guess you have to keep in mind your not buying a model 70 or kimber level fit and finished gun. I can put together (at least could have a year ago) a good serviceable ar for 400 bucks. 400 bucks doesnt buy you much gun today. The real mind bender is how good they actually are. Ive probably got a dozen cheap ar rifles and pistols i put together from cheap psa bear creek ect parts. I dont think a single one of them wouldnt shoot moa with a scope on it and they run more reliably then ars i spent 800-1000 bucks for in the 80s which in todays money would be 2 or 3k!!!!! Anyone that was an ar guy back then will tell you just how much gun your 800 bucks (2k today) would buy you at your olympic dealer. Its would be about like taking home a yugo you paid 30k for. Believe me i took a couple home before i learned. Now that said even the newer olys are decent guns.

Lee dies - 7.62 x 39 Russian die set includes expanders for both .308 and .311"

Load the .308" dia. bullets. Use the correct expander.

Starting loads dont blow up.

Banned
    Got the RMA today, it's going back via FedEx tomorrow.

Boolit Master

Good!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast