Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sulphuric acid

Boolit Master

Sulphuric acid

We need to dispose of some sulphuric acid (not at my house). Online, there are methods using baking soda, sugar, etc. I know, positively, that it's dangerous stuff to handle. Is this a DIY or should we call in the pros (if they exist). There's maybe three jars of the stuff.

Boolit Bub
    Where I live once a year they have a collection of house hold chemicals. You also might check with you city if they take it. Since it is an acid neutralizing it with a base would take care of it. It is only dangerous if not handles correctly.

I seem to recall from chem class (50 years in the past) that there is an order of mixing so if you do it be sure to read up on it. There are probably chemists on here that can enlighten you better the my old memories. Just be careful H2SO4 is strong stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Call your local fire department. They usually have hazmat trained folks to help out. Not all FD's are up to speed, but somebody will be.

Boolit Master

are you talking battery acid or full strength sulphuric acid. you will find its next to imposable to find a recycler, maybe a junk yard would be able to take it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

My County has a Household hazardous waste facility. Residents can bring in stuff for free disposal. They also have a free "re-use" room, where you can get stuff that other people brought in, after it's been checked out by trained County staff.

If your county doesn't have such a program, and If this is good sulphuric acid, you might try a freebie ad in FB marketplace or Craigslist.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    A family member passed, and in the garage we found the jars of the acid. Why he had it, no one knows, though there have been guesses. I'll call the local fire dept or board of health this week.

We buy it to counteract alkalinity in our irrigation water at our commercial greenhouse. We use a 5000 to 1 ratio of water to sulfuric acid. At that rate, it is safer than Pepsi! When mixing, you add acid into the water, for a minimal reaction. I would question what else is in your acid? Hopefully you can find a program to turn it in? Tom

Boolit Master
    Do you know anybody making biodiesel? H2SO4 is used in some of the process.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

1. How much are you talking about?
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

What strength is it (if it has a label)? Is it battery acid or thick like oil?

Garden limestone neutralizes it and the products of the reaction are Calcium Sulfate, water, and CO2. Beyond that you're on your own. Making the call might be the best course of action.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I seem to recall from chem class (50 years in the past) that there is an order of mixing so if you do it be sure to read up on it. There are probably chemists on here that can enlighten you better the my old memories. Just be careful H2SO4 is strong stuff.
    Mix it alphabetically: A(cid) into W(ater). It is an exothermic (heat producing) reaction. If you do it the other way, it will explode in your face. Wearing PPE (a face shield) is a good idea, but if you don't get in a hurry you will be OK.....charlie
    Last edited by charlie3tuna; 07-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Without knowing amount and strength and if you have a safe place to dilute it to it is hard to say . I have dumped have a bottle of strong sulfuric acid over limestone then washed the area with a hose when the bottle dropped and was damaged .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    We're not sure what exactly it is, other than "acid". Family lore says he was making batteries, which is why it's thought to be sulphuric acid. We're waiting for the FD to call us back.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    First don’t get scared. Humans have been working with strong acids for hundreds of years, if not more. You just need to take some precautions with it. The cardinal rule is to add the acid to water and definitely not vis-à-vis. How much do you have? If it’s less than a gallon you can probably dispose of it yourself as long as you have a piece of land. If you live in a city it becomes more difficult. Lime is a great neutralizer of acids. Dig a hole in the ground where you can start adding a little of each at a time. A face shield is a good idea to be safe. Stay upwind from the fumes and don’t breathe them. When all is added together, stir a bit, wait an hour, cover it up and forget about it. Anything that hasn’t reacted, will with time in the soil.

I’m sure this is not per EPA guidelines, but do what you want.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Check to see if you have someone in your area who makes batteries. They would most likely take it off your hands. I used sulfuric acid and muriactic acid in my shop for years. I always kept a large box of baking soda to dump on spills.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    Mix it alphabetically: A(cid) into W(ater). It is an exothermic (heat producing) reaction. If you do it the other way, it will explode in your face. Wearing PPE (a face shield) is a good idea, but if you don't get in a hurry you will be OK.....charlie
    Or, remember AAA
    Always
    Add
    Acid
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I wonder if it would kill duckweed in a stock pond?
    Things that make you go hmm.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

It's one of the ingredients for nitroglycerin. If you also find potassium nitrate or nitric acid, be careful with the rest that you don't know what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    A family member passed, and in the garage we found the jars of the acid. Why he had it, no one knows, though there have been guesses. I'll call the local fire dept or board of health this week.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    Well, things took a different turn. We went down to the "estate" after calling the local Fire Dept. They sent a Captain over, then another Captain. They examined the four glass jars and discovered they weren't filled with sulphuric acid as the family believed - they were actually car batteries from the early 1900s (teens to 20s). I don't have the info with me but apparently they're pretty collectable.
    Well, I'll be...

Here's an example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/113798945264
    Last edited by Battis; 07-18-2021 at 07:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast