Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataPBcastco
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saltpeter and tree stumps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    The nitrate is to offset the carbon in the wood. That makes it decompose faster. Urea fertilizer or any high nitrate fertilizer will help.
    If you want to rot it out, this is key! The organisms that decompose the wood need nitrogen!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve heard a lot of people saying you can get saltpeter from stump removers if you want to make BP. I have a stump maybe ten inches in diameter, left from the tree I cut, that was growing out of a wall. I also have some saltpeter. How effective would it be if I drilled a one inch diameter hole in the stump and filled it with saltpeter? I guess I should cover it with plastic to keep the rain out. Will it be as effective as commercial stump removers or should I simply buy the commercial stuff?
    Thanks
    I use 1 part Remedy and 4 parts diesel and basal spray live trees. The paperwork says to allow to stand uncut for 1 year and it kills all the way through the roots......

I have used drilling stumps and filling with old motor oil and let set for a month or two and build a fire on it and it works well for me as well.....I have tried the drilling and filling with various stump killers and met with limited success....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Drill several 1/2" holes in the tree trump: pour buttermilk with live culture in the holes. set back and watch the stump deteriorate.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve tried to burn green stumps a number of times. I never got very far. Maybe the ground is too moist here, but I could never burn much below the surface. I’ve broke several chains trying to pull them out with a tractor. Thank God those days are over. Now this is only a small one, it is growing out of a wall, but if I tried to pull it out, I’m sure I will pull the whole wall down.

First I considered drilling holes and filling them with rock salt. That may stop it from sprouting, but it may end up preserving it too. There are a lot of good ideas posted here. Something to kick off the natural rooting process is probably what I need. Buttermilk? Maybe.

If you drill your holes with a .45, you can get more of what ever product you use into the stump than if you used a .22 or .38

Boolit Master
    Has anyone mentioned detcord yet?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Has anyone mentioned detcord yet?
    Too noisy for my neighbors. Not that I would think it was fun or anything...

Used to be dynamite was used.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    C4 for the win.

I've long wondered what the power companies use in the pellets they fire into 'problem' trees, to kill them, seems quite effective!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Thermite grenade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I've long wondered what the power companies use in the pellets they fire into 'problem' trees, to kill them, seems quite effective!
    I’ve never heard about that being done. It’s an interesting concept shooting something into a live tree. Is it something propelled by gunpowder? Can someone tell us more about it?

I think it's a fairly quiet air rifle or pistol, i have heard of it but not seen it. whatever it is apparently is tr4ee kryptonite, effectively. Power companies hate arguing on cutting a tree which they KNOW will grow up and touch their power lines in a matter of a couploe years, this precludes that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12