Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltpeter and tree stumps

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Saltpeter and tree stumps

I’ve heard a lot of people saying you can get saltpeter from stump removers if you want to make BP. I have a stump maybe ten inches in diameter, left from the tree I cut, that was growing out of a wall. I also have some saltpeter. How effective would it be if I drilled a one inch diameter hole in the stump and filled it with saltpeter? I guess I should cover it with plastic to keep the rain out. Will it be as effective as commercial stump removers or should I simply buy the commercial stuff?
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Greg - my understanding is that the saltpeter is to help the stump burn.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master

no burning, the salt peter helps the stump decompose quicker. not all stump remover is salt peter, and its getting harder to find the good stuff.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Also instead of 1 1" hole drill many 1/4" holes spaced out, This will spread the material and give it smaller sections to work on.

I use 1/2 spade bit holes about 6” deep and regular store brand sugar or pancake syrup.
    Whatever gets the rot going will work.
    That reminds me, SWMBO and I need to cut and drip Tordon on a few ( hundred) Mesquite and Locust trees this month.....

Boolit Master

The old method using potassium nitrate took some time to get going the stump was drilled holes filled then allowed to get rained on the water soaked the nitrate into the wood the process was repeated several times. Then a hot fire built on the stump it done well the wood smolders right into the roots one coworker said he would never do it again he hade smoke coming up in his lawn for a couple days even with a sprinkler wetting it down.

I have never used the method because of what he said I did try to make a "Swedish torch " out of a 12" cherry tree stump by slicing it like cutting a pie with a chain saw the fire never burned near enough to the ground the stump was 4 years dead . The one next to it same size I left a foot high at 7 years I hit it with a skid steer bucket and worked it lose to pull out . My Chevy 4X4 pickup would not budge it at all .

You said it was coming out of a wall? I would guess neither fire or a stump grinder are an option if you can cut and drill a bunch out it will rot faster. If the wall is to a home using sugar as suggested above may be inviting pest you do not want.

Here is an article : https://www.urbanforestprofessionals...ces/stump-rot/
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually my first goal is not necessary to disintegrate it, but to make sure it is dead, so it doesn’t start sprouting new growth.

Boolit Master

do the tordon thing if you just want it dead.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Wonder if you could drill a few holes in the stump and put in some of the stuff you use in septic tanks (bacteria) to eat the stump away.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    The old method using potassium nitrate took some time to get going the stump was drilled holes filled then allowed to get rained on the water soaked the nitrate into the wood the process was repeated several times. Then a hot fire built on the stump it done well the wood smolders right into the roots one coworker said he would never do it again he hade smoke coming up in his lawn for a couple days even with a sprinkler wetting it down.

I have never used the method because of what he said I did try to make a "Swedish torch " out of a 12" cherry tree stump by slicing it like cutting a pie with a chain saw the fire never burned near enough to the ground the stump was 4 years dead . The one next to it same size I left a foot high at 7 years I hit it with a skid steer bucket and worked it lose to pull out . My Chevy 4X4 pickup would not budge it at all .

You said it was coming out of a wall? I would guess neither fire or a stump grinder are an option if you can cut and drill a bunch out it will rot faster. If the wall is to a home using sugar as suggested above may be inviting pest you do not want.

Here is an article : https://www.urbanforestprofessionals...ces/stump-rot/
    I lit off an old pine stump one November, it was still burning through the roots in April, even after all the winter snow.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Stumps left to rot is a dinner bell for termites. I cut down a very large pine tree that was just too close to my house. I paid a man $125 to grind the stump. A waste of money.He ground it to just below the grass. I drilled holes in the stump and tried the so called stump remover to little effect I finally started to dig the stump out and found a large termite colony. The queen was huge. She looked lick a caterpillar except she had four small front legs.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    If you just don't want it to sprout cover the entire exposed surface with tar.

Boolit Grand Master

In an earlier post ... in this section ... a fellow was looking to get rid of 3 jars of sulphuric acid ...
    That should take care care of his disposal problem and the tree stump problem .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    What I did. I made sure the stump was cut below the surface of the lawn then drilled 6 deep 1" holes, loaded the holes with Stump Out (potassium permanganate), corked the holes with a small bit of broom handle, then covered it with soil. No growth so far. Roots need to be wet once in a while for the stuff to leach into the roots, I'm told.

Boolit Master

Tordon is great, but if it is fresh cut, plain undiluted 2-4D amine will kill any tree stump. Just squirt a bit (we always used old eyewash bottles) around the cambium layer under the bark. My dad worked for the US Forestry in college selective killing in pine stands and they used stab and squirt guns with 2-4D to kill live trees. We have used the cut and squirt method to kill hundreds of stumps, never had one resprout and most rot in a year or two.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

The nitrate is to offset the carbon in the wood. That makes it decompose faster. Urea fertilizer or any high nitrate fertilizer will help.

Boolit Grand Master

How to kill a tree without anyone knowing it. I came across this while researching the topic. It made me grin.
    https://youtu.be/ICn6muY5O-8

Boolit Grand Master
    Drill holes in it.
    More the better.
    Pour some muriatic acid in each hole.
    Plug it with some rolled up plastic.
    Works for me, and cheaper that stump remover.
    Friend told me to try liquid Drain cleaner.
    Never tried it.......yet

Boolit Master

I've successfully used concentrated "Roundup". Drill some holes and funnel it in-give 2 weeks. RIP tree. Also Dudadiesel has all the chemicals you'll ever need.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I've successfully used concentrated "Roundup". Drill some holes and funnel it in-give 2 weeks. RIP tree. Also Dudadiesel has all the chemicals you'll ever need.
    Or just paint neat Roundup on the freshly cut stump with a paint brush. Works for African Tulip and a couple of others I have tried.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast