Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rossi 45 colt lever action rifle loading question

Boolit Bub

New Rossi 45 colt lever action rifle loading question

The rifle is new never fired havent had the chance yet. But I did load it and cycle the ammointo the chamber and its almost like its having issues cycling. It does go but feels like its hanging up on the slid. Any recommendations as what to try to make it smoother?

Buy Stevesgunz DVD on working on the 92s. Mine had a TON of issues that I fixed using the videos. Totally worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my stainless .45 yesterday it's slick and works great, the 92 needs to be operated with vigor, don't work it slow.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master

What's your bullet profile like ? O.A.L. ???
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Give it a thorough cleaning with Ballistol or similar, oil it up, and then shoot it. The more you shoot, the better it will be.

Boolit Buddy
    You can also get the ejector spring replacement on Amazon that will greatly reduce the ejection force and allow you to cycle the action smoother. There are simple videos on Youtube that show you how to disassemble it and install the spring.

Mine still has a lot of rough edges that have not yet smoothed out but I assume they will with time.

92 Rossi’s are noted for being picky about Bullet profile and cartridge OAL. Most do better with a round flat nose or taper cone bullet. Anything with a shoulder, such as a semi wad cutter, will catch a bit on the shoulder before going into the chamber.
    Take the rear stock off. Then open the action and hold it straight up by the barrel. Flush out the action with brake cleaner. Work the action a bunch of times, then flush it again. Keep doing this until the fluid draining out is clear. Let it dry (just a few minutes). Then spray the action down with Ballistol or similar lubricant. Either stand it up in a corner to let it drain overnight or blow it out with air. Put the rear stock back on and cycle the action. Should feel a little better. The more you work the action the smoother it will get.

Now get some RF or TC ammo and try it out. Hopefully it feeds well and you’re good to go. If not, you may need to try ammo of different OAL’s to find something that feeds well. Also, work the action fully and with authority. They don’t like slow or being babied. The more you run it, the better it should get

Hope this helps…..
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    92 Rossi’s are noted for being picky about Bullet profile and cartridge OAL. Most do better with a round flat nose or taper cone bullet. Anything with a shoulder, such as a semi wad cutter, will catch a bit on the shoulder before going into the chamber.
    Take the rear stock off. Then open the action and hold it straight up by the barrel. Flush out the action with brake cleaner. Work the action a bunch of times, then flush it again. Keep doing this until the fluid draining out is clear. Let it dry (just a few minutes). Then spray the action down with Ballistol or similar lubricant. Either stand it up in a corner to let it drain overnight or blow it out with air. Put the rear stock back on and cycle the action. Should feel a little better. The more you work the action the smoother it will get.

Now get some RF or TC ammo and try it out. Hopefully it feeds well and you’re good to go. If not, you may need to try ammo of different OAL’s to find something that feeds well. Also, work the action fully and with authority. They don’t like slow or being babied. The more you run it, the better it should get

Hope this helps…..
    Sam Sackett
    Excellent advice. That is what I did to my Rossi 92, .45 Colt. Unbelievable how much black cruddy stuff was flushed out.

Boolit Master

A number of excellent videos on UTube.

Mine feeds empty cases. Problem lies with too long or too fat a profile.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    ive got one, and only one mold for my Rossi 92 45 colt. mp 454640. for me anyway nothing else is needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I have three of the new CBC guns, all were good to go out of the box. These new ones are much smoother than the older ones were. My old interarms puma looks like it was made in a blacksmith shop compaired to the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    Buy Stevesgunz DVD on working on the 92s. Mine had a TON of issues that I fixed using the videos. Totally worth it.
    Not being familiar with lever guns this was a life saver for me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post

Hope this helps…..
    Sam Sackett
    Thank you sir I will give this a try. Actually thank all of you who have responded I very much appreciate it.

Great! Let us know as you progress. Lots of advice here.

Hopefully some of it helps you out.

Sam Sackett

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    You can also get the ejector spring replacement on Amazon that will greatly reduce the ejection force and allow you to cycle the action smoother. There are simple videos on Youtube that show you how to disassemble it and install the spring.

Mine still has a lot of rough edges that have not yet smoothed out but I assume they will with time.
    You often can get the ejector spring at your local hardware store, it's a Century C-30 spring. Also on Ebay.

Just working the action many times while watching TV with smooth it out. The lighter spring also ejects your empties much closer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have one of the Brazitech Rossi clones of the Win 92 in .45 Colt. I use the same loads which work in my Colt SA, the Italian clones and the Colt New Service, mostly Accurate 45-246H and 45-264H with 7 grains of Bullseye in either rifle or revolver.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    How are the chamber sizes in the Rossi long guns in .45 Colt? Seems to me they always ran pretty big

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    How are the chamber sizes in the Rossi long guns in .45 Colt? Seems to me they always ran pretty big
    My 45 Colt Rossi '92 likes .454 diameter cast bullets.
    ukrifleman

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've had 2 of them . Both had .450 groove dia and a 1-32 twist .
    I did lap the feed grooves on the side rails for a noticable improvement in feeding . Both were particular about gross length but not the least about about short lengths happily feeding Schofields in Colts cases with the 454424 seated in their groove same as the Colts . I had no difficulty with nose shapes including the 452423 and Lee 452252 SWC and a couple of different RNFP like the Lee 452-255 . I even shot a few 432-421s relieved to .448 and paper patched .

The Lee 457-340 was sized and also worked fine .

The slow twist was a problem shooting the top step hot Colts , barely into Ruger loads . It was fine up to 75 yd , you could chase golf balls out to 75 yd , the SWCs went into sonic transition at 78 yd and between 78&82 yd would upset and depart the line of flight at 10:00 and about 10° vertical striking the 10' berm at 110 yd approximately 8' high and 12-14' left . It was very consistent and very plottable it continued even with crowning and bore polishing . If loads were held to 1000 fps MV they didn't do it instead hitting 6-8" below the 75 yd zero and in line at at 100 yd .

With all of that mind numbing information out .
    Neither would feed any flavor of RP brass regardless of prep , sizing , loading or bullet sizing , any of the other 6 makes available ran like ...... Well free and smooth anyway . This worked out as the Ruger didn't shoot the RP well either and was gravely on ejection .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Just aout all lever actions or auto's have ammo or bullet prifiles they just don't work well with, find what it likes and run with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast