MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which 44 Magnum lever action rifle?

Boolit Master
    no matter what you get the grass is always greener elsewhere, might want to plan on getting one of each so you can determine for yourself what is best for your wants and needs. the browning are real fine copies of winchesters and some of the early puma Rossi's also are, rossi is more hit and miss. Henry currently is probably the best of the batch that is currently being made. time will tell what the new marlins will be. then there is also the old Ruger 96 lever action 44 mag.
    ive never had a bad marlin that was made in the 60's or 70's. I never did like the big button safety on the Winchester ae's. but the new Japan made with tang safety seem to be real good quality and price tag reflects this. just my own personal opinions on some lever action 44 mags

Boolit Master
    I have a older Marlin carbine with micro groove rifling. I had a problem with leading until a friend gave me some .430 bullets. Hasn't leaded since. Bye the way, that baby kicks.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Mold
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. If it’s just going to be light loads for Cowboy Action and other target shooting I’d go with a Winchester or Uberti 1873. If you are going to load heavy 44 Mag for hunting I’d go with a Navy Arms 1892.

Boolit Man
    Interesting thread, I just picked up a Winchester 94 44 mag that was made in 1977, so no safety - love it. It appears to have never been fired but has a few dings in the wood which is good because I need the dings so I don't have to baby it too much! I went out with my buddy and his Marlin curly maple stock 44 mag that had also never been shot. Interesting thing happened, the Winchester wouldn't feed the 240 grain Keith boolits but the Marlin would. Same buddy has a Marlin 357 that won't feed my Keith 170 boolits but my Winchester ae 357 will. I just ordered a replacement lifter from Numrich so I can play with cutting off the stop to try and get the Keiths to feed. I hate modifying a new (to me) firearm without a backup plan! I chose the Winchester because it just feels right when I pick it up, now if I can get it to play nice with my Keith boolits!

Boolit Master
    Lots of folk seem to have trouble with their 44 Mag rifles shooting well. The problem is that SAAMI allows a groove diameter of .432 on the 44 mag rifle (See pg 155 of this PDF https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf) and most jacktd and cast in the world is .429/.430 in jacketed and .431 in cast. Neither my NEF nor Rossi will shoot .431 boolits worth a hoot. I bought NOE's copy of the Lyman 429421 in .434 diameter and size to .432 and both rifles like it, but do note when people talk about their 44 barrel being oversize that is because that is the SAAMI spec. I have no idea why they did this as it makes life hard for a 44 mag rifle lover.

Boolit Bub
    I owned a Winchester 94 Wrangler in 44 MAG for a time but sold it to my nephew who lives in Indiana. Straight walled cartridges have replaced shotgun slugs for deer hunting within his area. So far, a 6 point buck and two does have been felled with this carbine.

44 MAG is a keeper!

TR

Boolit Buddy
    I'd go for a Henry Big Boy Steel if it was me. I like the customer support and parts availability, and the rifles seem ruggedly built. I shoot a .357 henry A LOT and my friend has one in 41 mag. Ours both shoot well with cast or jacketed bullets. Ours are also both pre-sidegate.
    I have also seen a couple leftover Marlin Cowboy octagon 20" rifles in .45 colt on shop shelves this year. that would work great also.
    This year, just have to see what's available

I have three Rossi Winchester 92's in 44 mag .
    Three Marlin Cowboy's in 44 Mag
    Two Henry Brass 44 mag
    One Browning 92 44 Mag .
    I actually shoot my Uberti 1866 in 44 special most of the time now .
    But all are good guns .
    The Henrys are the heaviest of them all .
    So saithe The Rooster

I did not find the Marlin 1894 ss in .44 Mag to be very accurate after extensive testing. If you feel the need you can look on the forum as I wrote all about it I think around 2007 or so. I feel the main issue was the twist rate so to that end I believe the older Winchesters in .44 Mag had a 1-20 twist rate and the new Henry also has a 1-20 twist rate of which if you have good boolit fit you should be able to have fantastic accuracy. My favorite boolit at the time was the Lee 300Gr RNFP GC sized at .432.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    A Rossi will probably be easier to find. I like to load it up with "target" 44's and have a nice range session without bruising my shoulder. Easier on the wallet too - both for the rifle and the reloads.

Boolit Master
    I've got henry BBS love it, has the cowboy loop lever, bought just before they released the side gate feature. Now I'll have to do an upgrade, maybe a 38-55 is calling my name, can you hear it?

I like my Marlin 44mag. It's still unknown how it shoots, haven't shot it yet. But I did refinish the wood on it out of boredom. Plus I don't care much for the factory Marlin finish. Hand rubbed oil is better IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    Win. '92 - Marlin '94- Rossi '92 would be my choices...... I love the Win. 94's but I have seen several pistol calibre Trappers here with broken carrier/lifter, and unable to get replacements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123