Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Tiller tires

Boolit Master

Tiller tires

I guess not checking led to loosing the seal, first one side early May, the other last week. It is just a bit difficult to air up because the valves are on the inside. Is this normal? Of course I could take the wheels off and swap sides, once I get air back in. And the 'V" tread pattern, what direction should that face, the base of the "V" forward or not? Does it really matter? Just the valves are causing me to swear....a bit
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm guessing this is a rear tine tiller with counter rotating tines? If so yes it does matter. If the tires are installed backwards, you won't get the needed traction to pull the tiller while working the ground.

As far as direction; when looking at the top of the tire, the V should point forward. This allows the tread to apply pressure and to clean it self of sticky dirt. If installed backwards, it may just spin when the going gets tough.

Clear as mud? Look at a farm tractor, same type of tread. Mount it the same way.

Swapping the wheels side for side will mean having to dismount the tires and turn them around. Still doable, just not as easy as a few bolts.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If you pull your tires to swap direction, I'd recommend buying a couple of inner tubes and installing them while you have the tire off. I have a 40 year old Troy Built tiller I couldn't keep air in the tires, and each spring when it got put to work it was a major pain to get the beads to seal. $20 worth of tubes was money well spent.

Boolit Master
    Most equipment like that have the tire stems on the inside, my tractor cart is the same way. I would add Tire Slime to your tires. I had a slow leak in my walk behind mower with old tires, I had to inflate it every time I mowed. Tire slim fixed quick & easy.

Moderator Emeritus

Troy bilt tillers and many others, allow for tire/wheel assembly swapping from side to side (without having to remove the tire from the wheel). They are on a smooth axle with a pin to hold the wheel on. I have turf tread on my tiller tires, as I have several beds with grass inbetween and don't want the tiller to dig up the sod while moving it from bed to bed. ALSO, I can see wanting swap-ability with V-tread tires.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Why is the valve on the inside? Is it protected more on the inside?
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    Why is the valve on the inside? Is it protected more on the inside?
    Typically yes. There is less obstacles or hard ground to contact the valve stem