RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder charge for MP 147gr 9mm HP subsonic?

Boolit Buddy

Powder charge for MP 147gr 9mm HP subsonic?

Anyone have experience cranking out subsonic 9mm rounds?

I have a brand new 9mm HP mold from MP and am currently shopping for a suppressor. I'm leaning toward the CSG Mod 9. But I'm curious what powder/charge will help me achieve a subsonic round with this bullet?

I have a bunch of powders to choose from but the largest amounts of Unique and Green Dot. Not sure if that's helpful.

Any thoughts/experience here?

Thanks!!

Boolit Master

silencer central will have lots of info for you.
    I've been using 3.0 gr 700X 147 gr plated bullet. Works well threw my Costal suppressor. Aprox. 840 fps. 700X meters poor in my Dillon other than that no issues. I'm going to try WSF and 135 gr plated HP next batch. You will find with the can most loads can be backed off a little and still cycle fine.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

Unfortunately my cast + 9mm experience has come recently, and I pretty much hit on a working combo I'll probably keep for life, but I'll share what little I've got

3.7 grains of Bullseye is pushing my 135 (137 actual) grain NOE/Ranch Dog .357" tumble luber at 1030 fps out of a Gen-5 Glock 17 with a standard deviation of 10fps (Winchester brass & CCI S.P.P.'s). Lube is White Label 45/45/10. Inside of the Glock is very clean with some light lube streaking in the bore. Same load in my Ruger Carbine leave the barrel looking unfired. Backing that charge down to start around 3 grains probably workable.

I did have a need to take apart some Winchester 147 grain jacketed duty rounds to measure the components. No way of knowing what the powder was other than it was fine-grained, spherical, undoubtedly Winchester-produced, and they were using 5 grains of it to achieve the listed 990 fps.

Unique is slower than I would select for 9mm, although that is mostly based on experience with it leaving a lot of unburned granules behind in .45 ACP. I would definitely be looking for something faster burning that is completely consumed before the bullet gets to your can. That will also have the additional benefit of early peak pressure and reduced pressure in the can - making it even more quiet.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    silencer central will have lots of info for you.
    I've been using 3.0 gr 700X 147 gr plated bullet. Works well threw my Costal suppressor. Aprox. 840 fps. 700X meters poor in my Dillon other than that no issues. I'm going to try WSF and 135 gr plated HP next batch. You will find with the can most loads can be backed off a little and still cycle fine.
    Never heard of Silencer Central before. But I googled it and it looks like a store. Where on their site would I find information about cast/bullet powder charge data to make subsonic rounds?

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Unfortunately my cast + 9mm experience has come recently, and I pretty much hit on a working combo I'll probably keep for life, but I'll share what little I've got

3.7 grains of Bullseye is pushing my 135 (137 actual) grain NOE/Ranch Dog .357" tumble luber at 1030 fps out of a Gen-5 Glock 17 with a standard deviation of 10fps (Winchester brass & CCI S.P.P.'s). Lube is White Label 45/45/10. Inside of the Glock is very clean with some light lube streaking in the bore. Same load in my Ruger Carbine leave the barrel looking unfired. Backing that charge down to start around 3 grains probably workable.

I did have a need to take apart some Winchester 147 grain jacketed duty rounds to measure the components. No way of knowing what the powder was other than it was fine-grained, spherical, undoubtedly Winchester-produced, and they were using 5 grains of it to achieve the listed 990 fps.

Unique is slower than I would select for 9mm, although that is mostly based on experience with it leaving a lot of unburned granules behind in .45 ACP. I would definitely be looking for something faster burning that is completely consumed before the bullet gets to your can. That will also have the additional benefit of early peak pressure and reduced pressure in the can - making it even more quiet.
    Like I said, I do have a bunch of different powders. Unfortunately I only have a lot of a few powders. Green Dot and Unique are two of those. And I know I can use Unique for 9mm loads just for the range. So if I want a few mags filled with subs for HD or similar....it's not really an issue to pull a 1lb bottle of whatever powder will work well. Bullseye is one I don't think I have.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    3.2 grains of N320 over a HiTek coated MP 147 round nose sized .357 and seated to ~1.130 gets me just over 900 fps out of a stock barreled G34.

I'll check my load data logs in the morning for a few other powders with the same weight boolit.

Boolit Master

1 of my most accurate loads is a 135gr,,with2.5grs of tite group,,850fps,,

Boolit Master

Ok. the site is Silencer TALK. My bad.
    Being sub sonic with 147's is as easy as falling off a log. Being clean is important suppressed. After you get your can find out which powder you have on hand works the best or get some N320. My 2 cents.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Ok. the site is Silencer TALK. My bad.
    Being sub sonic with 147's is as easy as falling off a log. Being clean is important suppressed. After you get your can find out which powder you have on hand works the best or get some N320. My 2 cents.
    I can definitely experiment with what I have on hand. Getting more (or finding N320) may be an issue. Last time, my dealer was actually trying to buy some of my stuff back!

Thanks

Boolit Master

You may have a suitable powder on hand but I would definitely use something faster than Unique especially with a can.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    You may have a suitable powder on hand but I would definitely use something faster than Unique especially with a can.
    I think what I'll do is pull out the containers with all of my powders in them and make a list that I can share so the replies can focus on those. Seems like there's a ton of options, but without sharing more than the two I already did, it's not letting me determine what's of use.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Green Dot should work if you have it then. I successfully used up a gifted bottle of the stuff on either .32 or .380 and it worked quite well.

I'm kinda winging it here, but the charge weights and velocities for the bullet weight and calibers, and pressures listed in the most recent Lyman manual have Bullseye and Green Dot tracking fairly closely to each other. Close enough that you could use the same starting load of 2.8 grains for the 147 grain 356637 listed for Bullseye as a starting load for your Green Dot and not get into any trouble if you work up with due caution from there. Top end of the Bullseye spectrum for 147 grains is 3.5 grains at 942 fps and 31,600 CUP
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    ....would it be too much of a curveball to ask if there's a powder that would do subsonic 300blackout to?

I shoot a lot of WST under 135-147gr coated lead bullets. With 3.1gr under a 147, I am about 825fps in a G26. Any fast burning powder should work fine about 850fps w/ 147gr.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol