RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 1st attempt loading with new press

Boolit Master

1st attempt loading with new press

I recently purchased a used PW 375 press, I was finally able to try it out tonight.

Here are the 1st three shells off the press.
    9 pellet BS load – just scant of 1 oz

Using brand new multi-hull from BPI
    20 gr Red Dot
    I tired a couple different wads
    HCD24
    12S3
    12S0
    OS card

Tops opened back up (?? because these were new hulls, the pre-crimp isn’t sharp enough, OS card ??)
    Ends are flared out – (?? Is this why you need the taper crimp ??)

Thoughts?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

They opened up because your wad column is too high. See the holes in the middle? Those hulls crimp easily when new. Load 8 pellets instead and reduce powder charge accordingly...see load manual.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

What is the actual size of your buckshot? 0.310"? 0.330"? Some wads won't pack buckshot neatly without bulging your hulls. I use a lot of 12S3 wads, but not in buckshot loads. Hogtamer steered me onto the idea that buckshot loaded 2 pellets per layer will pattern better than 3 per layer. I use Remington RP-12, SP-12 and the PT 1265 from BPI. They allow 2 pellets per layer, 8 total.

The beauty of roll-crimping is that you can match the OAL to the height of the wad column. You can't go all willy-nilly, you still need to follow established loads or risk gun damage/personal injury. If fold-crimping, as you show, you wad column must be precisely the right height, not much leeway there. Check your loading manual for 1oz loads and use those components, your crimps should improve. If really good buckshot loads are your goal, check these links from Hogtamer:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...+buckshot+load

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...pretty+in+pink
    Last edited by centershot; 07-19-2021 at 08:57 PM. Reason: wrong wad posted first time
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

My pellet size is .310 diameter.

I've played around with these same components with once fired hulls and a different loader and the results were better than what I achieved with this press and brand new hulls.

I'll check out the above mentioned links.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

On your crimp finishing die, there is a nut to adjust how much pressure is put on the spring, which is connected to the outer die. Generally the tighter the spring, the more it pushes in the sides of the hull. A crimped shell should be beveled in slightly, and yours are flared outwards, plus a hole in the crimp. I've noticed sometimes if you go too extreme on that nut, backing it out actually improves the problem. Since the top of your hulls looks smashed slightly, I may be inclined to say yours is currently set very tight.

Start by tightening the nut. If the problem gets worse, loosen it.