Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burner Advice Requested

Boolit Bub

Burner Advice Requested

I am requesting advice on locating a propane powered seafood/turkey fryer type burner that will last a long time and be heavy duty enough to not collapse and dump 200+ pounds of molten lead on me yet not break the bank. Some of the burners I see on line just look too flimsy for this chore. I've got a pot made from a propane tank. I've "smelted" several thousand pounds of wheel weights using a borrowed "smelting" set up but want gear of my own. Looking for a good dipper as well. I have plenty of ingot molds. I've got quite a lot of wheel weights and range lead yet to do.
    Thanks!

This is the one I have about $87.00, Amazon is where I got it. It do melt stuff and is pretty sturdy. I have a 10# propane tank cut in half so had to adapt the top grate for the smaller circumference but a 20# should be just right.

GasOne 200, 000 BTU Square Heavy- Duty Single Burner Outdoor Stove Propane Gas Cooker with Adjustable 0-20Psi Regulator & Steel Braided Hose Perfect for Home Brewing, Turkey Fry, Maple Syrup Prep

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71BBCdVYV0L._AC_SX679_.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	286237
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Minerat, Thank you very much for your suggestion. I was looking for one with a "jet" type burner. The folded, sheet metal legs on your illustrated burner is what I'm leery about being strong enough to reliably hold up a honkin' heavy a** molten lead pot safely. Thanks for your input though!

That pic that mineral posted looks VERY stout to me. I've got a taller two burner version with the same basic design, and even it is pretty sturdy. If you put cross struts on the front and back of that one it would support a ton. -- well, 500 lbs.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Another option I've seen done is put cement blocks on the sides and at the height of the burner rack.
    With pieces of rebar going across, it'll keep most of the weight off the burner itself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I know it holds 218 lb cause I set it in the driveway and did an monkey jig on it and it held me with on problems. The legs are pretty stout and doesn't sink into soft ground as bad a the round bar used on some turkey fryers. Also it is only about 10" from ground to bottom of burner.

Monkey jig = jumped up and down and rocked back and forth on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    My smelting setup started out as a ~54,000 BTU fish fryer that was built about like the one Minerat shows. It worked fine until my daughter backed over it with a pickup tire.

I welded up a frame out of 1¼x¼" angle iron. I think it would support the whole truck now. I do tend to over build things a bit.

I also did the monkey jig on mine. You really don't want to find out it isn't strong enough or stable enough when it has 100 or more pounds of molten lead on it.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

GasOne B-5350 270,000 BTU Rugged Propane Burner Cooker With 0-30 PSI Regulator with Pressure Gauge For Outdoor Cooking, Turkey Fry, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HCRRRMQ..._vxv2nXGhtLlL2

I bought this one because I was worried about the weight of my pot and lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Duckbill chimney burner or a Mongolian chimney burner, you have to specify LPG or Natural Gas when ordering.

Boolit Master
    I put extra re enforcing on the frame of my Turkey fryer and would suggest you think of doing the same with which ever model you by, that much molten lead letting go could and will cause injury. JMHO. Regards Stephen

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Another option I've seen done is put cement blocks on the sides and at the height of the burner rack.
    With pieces of rebar going across, it'll keep most of the weight off the burner itself.
    Similar to Winger Ed, I stack plain-Jane red bricks to make a square with re-bar atop and my LP burner within. The bricks I have are the ones with holes in them, so they afford ample air (oxygen) to the burner, while blocking WIND while both providing added support for my 1/2-Freon jug pot and -- imho -- an added margin of safety re possible tip-overs.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I enjoy seeing the pics of the guys who do it with a wood fire. I have a gas burner similar to the one above. My propane seems to go a long way and the cost is negligible.

Boolit Bub
    This is the one I decided upon and have ordered. It's got all the features I wanted and will hold up to a 162 quart pot of water capacity (over 300#).

https://www.meatprocessingproducts.c...0Group%20%2311

Thanks to all for the comments and advice!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    My smelting setup started out as a ~54,000 BTU fish fryer that was built about like the one Minerat shows. It worked fine until my daughter backed over it with a pickup tire.

I welded up a frame out of 1¼x¼" angle iron. I think it would support the whole truck now. I do tend to over build things a bit.

I also did the monkey jig on mine. You really don't want to find out it isn't strong enough or stable enough when it has 100 or more pounds of molten lead on it.

Robert
    There is no such thing as "over build." Particularly when you're talking terribly hot fluids that will stick to you as they burn their way through your clothing and into your hide.

The amount of damage my foot took from less than two tablespoons of melted butter from an air popper tells me so. And that was over 40 years ago.

Bill

Banned
    Now you just need to make/get one of these to put on it

Boolit Bub
    I have that same pot. Need to get the skirt added.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Build the pedestal out of two automobile rims. Buy a burner from a hardware store, and build a pot from an old propane or freon tank. Like the one above. Don't forget to reinforce it.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Vendor Sponsor

I built a support out of inexpensive 1" angle-iron and 5/16" bolts. Fast and easy, I bet it will hold up the house.
    You can add a bale to the pot which is useful for pouring out that last bit when your liquid lead gets down too low to ladle out.
    A red windscreen is added from an old meat smoker/grill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-30-14 Christmas and casting stuff 026.jpg   12-30-14 Christmas and casting stuff 024.jpg   Pot bale 001.jpg   002 (2).jpg  
    Chill Wills

Leeshall, I have a King Kooker that looks exactly as the one you bought. I use a half 20lb. propane pot. My opinion is support the bars that the pot sits on. I used bricks until a friend of mine welded some rebar supports for me. Don’t take any chances on a pot full of molten lead falling. Just my opinion but safety is the big concern.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I built a support out of inexpensive 1" angle-iron and 5/16" bolts. Fast and easy, I bet it will hold up the house.
    You can add a bale to the pot which is useful for pouring out that last bit when your liquid lead gets down too low to ladle out.
    A red windscreen is added from an old meat smoker/grill.
    Drilling holes and Bolts!!! I too think it sucks not having a welder.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast