WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 gn 45-70 cast bullet question

Boolit Buddy

350 gn 45-70 cast bullet question

I have a new mould that casts 350 gn flatnose gas check .460 bullets. I tried seating at 2.55 OAL but they will not chamber in my Marlin 1895LTD. The lever will not close all the way. I was using new Starline brass, WLR primers, A2015 powder. Bullets were Hi-Tek coated 3 times,GC'dand sized to .460. In order to not seating on the start of the ogive or past that point, I switched to Hornady's brass that quite a bit shorter, mine measured 2.03". I seated to the crimp on a dummy round and it still would not chamber all the way. I gradually increased the seating depth until it was just past the crimp groove, 2.46" OAL is where it finally chambered all the way and lever closed so it would fire as normal.
    Can I use the Lee Factory Crimp die instead of roll crimping? Will that effect the Hi-Tek coating making it ineffective? Should I start with midrange Trapdoor loads? I have A2015, A5744, IMR4198, H4198 and Unique powders

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I can't say what .1 will do with a 45-70 but it's probably real close to adding 25 gr to the bullet weight . Purely a mechanical point of view .

It sounds like a throat , or rather lack of throat issue to me .
    That or your bullet is just straight up too large .

I detest "chamber/pound cast and see what's happening there" answer , but this is a perfect place for it .

If you have one of the 45 cal taper crimp dies that only taper crimps , basically a through bored die that tapers from like .500 to .450 in it's length or with a step possibly you may have a situation where the chamber is actually necked and your brass is too big , and bullet sizing is just not happy in that last .15-.2 of the chamber .

You might try .458 sizing . I've read that while PC doesn't wholly eliminate the need for the .001-2 over groove guys are getting away with less than .0005 over .
    I was recently surprised by an 1895G with a 255 gr PB greased at .458 in the .4575 groove not having any fouling after 25 rounds pushed from 1800 to 2000 fps . So it can be done and work .

I don't PC it's another set of tools to buy .....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I don't PC it's another set of tools to buy .....
    You're talking basically a convection oven from Walmart and some $14 PC. Not exactly "set of tools"

I shoot a 350gr GC PC bullet from my Marlin 45-70 regularly. I load on RCBS cowboy dies & crimp in the crimp grove. Never had a problem. I believe where the problem might be is with your bullet nose design. Marlins have a "very" short lead. Therefore the bullet nose needs to fit your lead properly.That's why your round chambered when you seated the bullet deeper.Attachment 286224 I've enclosed a picture of my bullet ( before & after a shot ). I know it is a funky color. . Does the nose on your bullet look much different. A little bit of difference on the nose makes a significant difference in the Marlin.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	286227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1728_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	286228
    Not sure if these come through, but to me it looks like the flat point on mine is wider and less curve to the ogive. I loaded 10 rds with 27gn of A5744. I loaded 4 in the tube and fired. I checked each round prior to chambering to see if bullet was being pushed into the case further. They seem to held to 2.46 for OAL. The bullets were cast from a mould from LBT. I do have a .459 NOE size bushing I can try, I don't have .458.
    Group was about 3 to 4" high at 50 yds and 3 to 4" spread. I know the rifle is capable of 3" groups at 100 yds with Speer 400gn and IMR4198. I would like to use full length brass, but will probably have to ream the chamber for that to work.

Banned
    The diameter of the bullet half way between the meplat and the case mouth is the culprit. It is too wide. The options are to get a different mold or seat them deeper.

Boolit Master
    I would size to .458 and PC with one coat. Seat to the seat grove and see if that works first. I think your boolit is too large. The 45-70 is a tapered cartridge, not much but it is. Another thing you can try is size to .458 load a dummy round and I bet it will chamber.

Absolutely is the bullet. Look at this 350gr I shoot in my Marlin.Attachment 286231 Notice the clearance beyond the driving band. That driving band is .460. . This is the 350 gr that functions perfectly in my Marlin 45-70.

Boolit Master

1. A pound cast of your chamber followed by careful measurements of same will tell you a lot.

2. Were you getting engraving marks from your rifling on the bullets that wouldn't chamber?

3. Put your calibers on the case at the mouth of your chambered round and take a measurement there. Compare that to the SAAMI blueprints in your loading manuals. Could be your case is bulging and you need to make adjustments to your crimping equipment.

4. .460" is possibly too fat for a modern barrel. Again, a pound cast of the chamber and a slugging of the bore will tell you a lot. The vintage BP era rifles often have about ZERO leade in their chambers to qualify as a "throat" - the rifling runs right full diameter down to the chamber, MAYBE with the barest of chamfers of the sharp corner. You might need to choose a bullet profile to work around that.

5. I don't PC, but three coats of the stuff when you have a gas check doing the majority of your sealing for you seems like a lot.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

COAL is quite different from ogive OAL, and having been there and experienced that, I think that's maybe yer problem. This is where that Hornady comparator is invaluable and you'll instantly know the true ogive OAL for any given cartridge and bullet. As an example, I cast and PC Lee 457340 in 1:20 alloy that drops at 348 grains for my Henry s/s in .45-70 and the ogive max OAL is 2.495" - any longer and the cartridge will "jam chamber".

Bullets PC'd with Eastwood Gloss Clear ...

Quote Originally Posted by odette View Post

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	286227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1728_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	286228
    Not sure if these come through, but to me it looks like the flat point on mine is wider and less curve to the ogive. I loaded 10 rds with 27gn of A5744. I loaded 4 in the tube and fired. I checked each round prior to chambering to see if bullet was being pushed into the case further. They seem to held to 2.46 for OAL. The bullets were cast from a mould from LBT. I do have a .459 NOE size bushing I can try, I don't have .458.
    Group was about 3 to 4" high at 50 yds and 3 to 4" spread. I know the rifle is capable of 3" groups at 100 yds with Speer 400gn and IMR4198. I would like to use full length brass, but will probably have to ream the chamber for that to work.
    I have a fairly modern Marlin 1895 and I am reasonably certain just looking at it that that shape will not chamber in mine.

The 2 boolits I shoot are NOE 460-350 RF and 460-396 RF.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-350-rf-ae1/
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-396-rf-ae2/
    The nose is pulled in a bit more and I crimp in the crimp grove.

Be very careful with the Hornady cases - the volume is smaller so you need to adjust your loads appropriately. Whenever I find one of those, I put them in a pile and give them to a buddy who gives me brass I can actually use. He loves them because he loads that Hornady XTP bullet.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    i use the lee 350 mold<358gn with my lead> in my 45-70 .shoot as cast just tumble lube .shoot fine with no leading.if you go to barry shooting centre im on a video shooting mine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    i use the lee 350 mold<358gn with my lead> in my 45-70 .shoot as cast just tumble lube .shoot fine with no leading.if you go to barry shooting centre im on a video shooting mine.
    Never seen a .45-70 Lee mold @ 350, only 340. What alloy mix ya using? Do you water quench to up the BHN?

Boolit Master
    sorry 340gn mold .scrap lead /wheel weights with some lead free solder .no water quenching .22gn 2400 with quater sheet of toilet paper to hold powder in place std cci primer .same lead with gas check works in my 308 as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    sorry 340gn mold .scrap lead /wheel weights with some lead free solder .no water quenching .22gn 2400 with quater sheet of toilet paper to hold powder in place std cci primer .same lead with gas check works in my 308 as well.
    I would be interested to know how that alloy compares with pure lead. Can you cast one of pure lead in that same mold to compare weights?
    Also lead free solder could have other metals, like bismuth, silver along with a majority of tin.

Boolit Master
    In the image below, you can graphically see what Traffer is pointing out. My Pedersoli .45-70 is "supposed" to have a .4500" BORE and .4580" GROOVES. Someone gave me some 480gr cast bullets from an estate and after testing them for hardness, they indicated #10 on the Saeco scale or about 22 BHN indicating they were cast in Linotype. The "ting" confirms it. They were cast from a Lee 457-500-F bullet mold. Linotype casts larger and lighter than lead hence the lighter weight and larger size. I was surprised to see the .459 size die actually size the bullets. Normally in my 45-70 alloy (30:1 or 20:1) the .459 die allows lubrication without sizing. My bullets fall from the mold at .4585".

This bullet shown was literally sized to .4590" from a larger diameter of .4600" and seated all the way down the driving band leaving the "bore riding" nose outside the case. These bullets would NOT chamber in my rifle with a .4500" bore. Measuring the nose with a good micrometer, it was confirmed that the nose was too fat at .4527" in diameter to fit into the .4500" bore. I burnished the noses with 0000 steel wool and the bullet shown bears the marks where it was engraved by the rifling prior to getting reduced completely to .4498" which is my actual bore diameter. Your "bore riding" bullet nose may be too fat for your bore. You can also see on my bullet, only two of the lands made contact with the nose. That alludes to an offset chamber but that is another whole discussion.

You can either cast in a softer alloy (more lead) to reduce the finished product diameter or you can burnish each bullet nose with steel wool to reduce nose diameter - if your bullet is a bore riding bullet design. If the nose is the same diameter as the driving bands, sizing the bullet .001" smaller will probably allow chambering and hopefully the rascal will obturate and grab the grooves fine on firing.

Hope you get it all worked out soon and have some fun at the range!

Attachment 286339

Banned

The Lee 3576-340 mold I have drops at slightly over .459" with my own 1:20 alloy. Just after it drops and cools it gets powder coated. Then right out of the toaster oven it goes into a bucket of cold water that will up the BHN considerably. When dried off, each bullet goes thru a Lee .459" die - I pat a finger in Imperial sizing wax that puts just a hint of wax on the bullet before getting sized.

Boolit Buddy
    i ordered a 460-350 RF 4 cavity gas check mould from NOE. I hope that fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by odette View Post
    i ordered a 460-350 RF 4 cavity gas check mould from NOE. I hope that fixes the problem.
    That boolit works great. I cast them with a cup point.

I've got a Montana staff sight (#101) on my 1895 and have been able to get DOPE out to 625 yards with that H335 load. I was going to go today and test similar loads with Varget and H335 but I decided to postpone until next Monday when both of my buddies couldn't go...

Name:	45-70_350_Grain.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	286352
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    H335, never tried that powder. I have an old can not sure how much is in it. 44Blam do you have a starting load for 350 gn lead with H335? Are you using standard length brass? I have a lot of standard length and only 10 Hornady and made a dummy round out of one of them so only 9 to play with. Jacketed Speer 400, Hornady 300, and Sierra 300 all cycle and chamber with no problem. boolits from my 405 gn RCBS mould have to be seated just about past the crimp groove, but that is using a .460 NOE size bushing. I have a Lee .459 sizing die that was part of what I inherited from my grandpa, I will size a 405 gn with it and make a dummy round. I placed an order for the NOE mould, do you think a .458 size bushing will help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast