Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: dodge half ton diesel??

Banned

dodge half ton diesel??

anyone have any experience with them. I love my new ram (first ram) Its great in every catagory but at 18-19 mpg its a good 3-4 behind a v8 chev. There talking close to 30. I know it wont have th snort a hemi has but ive got my car if i want to go fast. Just dont want one if its a total slug or isnt a good motor. Anyone know how theyve been holding up? Sure dont need a 3/4 ton truck or for that matter a 70k truck. But near 10mpg better is making sense to me.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a 2007 Ram 2500 HD with the V-10. The expected miles per gallon were actually XX'd out on the window sheet. I got about 9 mpg. My only issue with her was the frame rusting and consequently the brake lines. I replaced ALL the brake lines four times. Dodge claimed the issue was salt water and road salt as I lived in NJ. Was never in water, fresh or salt and somehow the truck that was not really driven much when gas costs went up was the only one of our vehicles to have that issue. Our mechanic could not believe how fast they rusted out. Other than that and the initial installation of HD dampness in front end due to increased engine weight, she was a great truck. Good luck with yours.

Edit: heh, just noticed you said diesel. Duh....

Chevy folks are lying to you. Nowhere near 20, let alone 30mpg with a diesel..... I had a f150 that I got about 22 on the highway, but 10 pulling anything

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

fwiw
    The combined city/highway fuel economy number for my F250 is 18 miles/gal.
    That's 8 in town and 10 on the highway.

No first hand experience with diesels. For me the cost just doesn't pencil out.

Boolit Master

You are not going to save much if anything when you start to factor in the higher cost of fuel, def and more expensive oil changes. I just retired from a GM dealership and I have to say I am not impressed with the 3.0 diesel in the half tons. Too early to say anything about longevity.

Boolit Master
    I’ve talked to a few folks that have the 1/2 ton Ram with the diesel and they love it as a grocery getter with really good gas mileage, however the great mpg is out the window if you connect a trailer or load up the bed.

As most trucks are used as commuters with the cool look it fits the market for a non-gasoline option.

I’m holding out for the diesel/electric hybrids that should eventually show up.

Boolit Master

I've had 4 Cummins Diesel 3/4 tons. They've been great trucks. A family member has a 2015 3.0 L Ram diesel 1/2 ton. As I understand it there was a crankshaft problem with the 2014 and 2015 model years. A new crank needed to be installed in this 2015. It was covered by warranty but the same style crank needed to be re installed. Apparently 2016 and on had no crank issues.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I had a 2007 Ram 2500 HD with the V-10. The expected miles per gallon were actually XX'd out on the window sheet. I got about 9 mpg. My only issue with her was the frame rusting and consequently the brake lines. I replaced ALL the brake lines four times. Dodge claimed the issue was salt water and road salt as I lived in NJ. Was never in water, fresh or salt and somehow the truck that was not really driven much when gas costs went up was the only one of our vehicles to have that issue. Our mechanic could not believe how fast they rusted out. Other than that and the initial installation of HD dampness in front end due to increased engine weight, she was a great truck. Good luck with yours.

Edit: heh, just noticed you said diesel. Duh....
    chev brake lines were no better

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Chevy folks are lying to you. Nowhere near 20, let alone 30mpg with a diesel..... I had a f150 that I got about 22 on the highway, but 10 pulling anything

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    silverados were the same 22 empty on the highway but even an empty side by side trailer would knock it down to 12

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    You are not going to save much if anything when you start to factor in the higher cost of fuel, def and more expensive oil changes. I just retired from a GM dealership and I have to say I am not impressed with the 3.0 diesel in the half tons. Too early to say anything about longevity.
    maybe wouldnt pay comparing the 22 mpg silverado to a ram at 30 but when my ram gets 17 it would make up alot.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I stay at 70 or below, my Duramax gets right at 20. 75 its 17 and 80 its 14. Fast moving brick. Newer ones look even less aerodynamic.
    Fellow at the range had, IIRC, a 2019 dodge 1/2 ton diesel and claimed near 30 mpg but admitted that the figure was not normal from what he had heard about them.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Well like I mentioned in a previous thread, Neighbor has a 2015 1/2 ton Dodge diesel with the fiat engine, 4x4
    He loves it and the mileage, Only has 47K on it as he has a company truck for local jobs.
    He's an electrical engineer by degree,But travels all over the states,Was going overseas like the middle east and Russia but The Vid shut that down.
    Programs fired vessels mostly in plants.
    When I talk to him I'll post up his mileage, He claims some very good numbers.

Edit 20 city,25/27 highway Forgot to add that this is a crew-cab or 4 door also
    Last edited by Gator 45/70; 07-17-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    The older small turbo diesel pickups with just a cat converter would easily get 30mpg(US),but add on the problematic particulate filters ,and fuel usage could look like a Packard flathead twin six.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Diesel is cheaper than gas right now for whatever reason. Not a Chevy fan of any gender, never have been, cheesy, plastic, soft, saggy trucks. Remember when the new body styles would be debuted on Bonanza in October! I'm a Ford or Mopar guy all day long.

Ended up with the Baby Duramax Silverado after looking at, driving, head scratching, studying and pondering the Dodge and Ford 1/2 ton offerings. Check the torque and hp curves of the V6's vs the Baby Duramax. No comparison, it's so crushing it isn't even fair. Find images of the crankshafts with the V6's offset rod journals vs the Chevy inline 6. There's a main bearing between every rod journal on the Baby Duramax, every pair on the V6. The Baby Duramax block (on a Diesel!) is aluminum but find a pic of the casting and the engineering will blow your mind. Ford's truck is aluminum the Chevy is still steel. Dodge has boingo-boingo coil spring rear ends through 3/4 ton on their pick ups Chevy is leafs. And the V6's don't impress. Really? Ford and Mopar compromised my allegiance here nickel and diming my pickups apart. GM stuck with old school goods to deliver a decent 1/2 ton truck compared to the competition.

We just went on an 1800 mile trip from OR to the desert in CA and back. Spent most of the miles on cruise control at 72mph. 27mpg. Yup.

There is one HUGE downside. The timing BELT needs to be replaced every 150k miles and some rocket surgeon decided it should be in the back of the motor. Gotta drop the motor to replace it. Really dude? I'll bet that clown gotta a raise too! But I'll take the torque curve and mileage in exchange thank you.

Whatever you do have fun with it!
    Last edited by ol skool; 07-18-2021 at 01:38 AM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Master

Trading vehicles to get better gas mileage rarely ever makes sense except in extreme situations.

Say you get rid of the new Ram to get a diesel version that gets better gas mileage. I have a buddy with one and he claims 27 mpg highway, bone stock. Gets 22 mixed driving.

Lets say you get 17 mpg mixed driving with your Ram.

If you drive the average 10,000 miles per year, and gas is stupid expensive at $3.50 a gallon (what is out here ), then keeping your Ram will cost you about $2060 per year, based on it needing 588 gallons of gas.

Now, if you buy a Diesel pickup that gets an average of 22 mpg, then you will need 454 gallons of diesel, which is generally just about the same or slightly cheaper than gas in the Midwest. So, 454 gallons of diesel at $3.45 a gallon is $1570 per year.

$2060 minus $1570 is $490 in fuel savings every year, or, $41 a month.

So, you would have to trade in a pickup you love, lose your equity you have in it, pay more for oil changes, pay thousands more for the new truck, to save $40 a month in fuel.

Does that make sense?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

i dont get 17 mixed. I get 14 mixed 17 hwy. I guess part of my thinking is the future. I could see where these new green deal idiots clamp down on gas trying to push there idiotic electric slot cars. They could push has to such high prices that we just couldnt afford it. But this country runs on diesel and when they try to price that up in the statosphere there going to see it at the super market and everywhere else. Today might actually be the smart time to buy a diesel. If the prices start drifting apart and gas gets EXPENSIVE the price of diesel trucks will no doubt raise fast. I cant really do anything till next summer anyway. All my money right now is going into the house. So ill have a little time to watch prices and hopefully by then it wont be to late. I have one more advantage. My son in law is the lead mechanic at the biggest over the road truck repair shop in the area and can do my maintenance and repairs for the cost of material and even gets a BIG discount on that. Truthfully the biggest argument against it for me is performance. Those hemis push a truck down the road smartly and i hate to give some of that up. Ya they may have as much torque but the hemi has plenty enough for me but that 100hp less snap passing would be missed.

Boolit Master
    Do new US diesel pickups have particulate filters and/or ad blue (urea) requirement........burning out the filter every so often is the cause of bad diesel milage figures,especially if the system malfunctions,and the burnout is continuous.....lots of white smoke ,smell ,and doubled fuel consumption.

Boolit Master

John.k, yes they do. I saw probably more problems with the after treatment systems than the engines on most of the diesels I worked on. You definitely do not want to ignore the DEF level. This is not a GM issue but mandated by the Feds. It used to be easy to eliminate but not anymore.