MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: .44 mag, 280g, mid range loads

.44 mag, 280g, mid range loads

I recently bought an accurate mold for my .44 mag. 430-280g. plain base.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=43-280G
    I want to develop a mid range load for targets and critters out to about 50 yds. The suitable powders I have on hand are;
    TiteGroup, Longshot, A2400, surplus bulk BR-5, (for which Unique data is recommended.)
    I would like to get into the 900-1100fps range. I'm not finding much printed data for the 280. The Lyman manuals seem to jump from 265 gr to 300grs, and everything else I find listed is for those copper things. I've loaded a few starting load rounds with 2400 and longshot so far, just to cure the itchy finger/new mold syndrome, but now it's time to get serious with the development.
    Anyone willing to share their experience with, or, recommend some load ladders using the listed powders and give me some direction?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    I'm using the Accurate 43-265F and 9.5 gr. of Unique for 1106 fps. Started at 9.0 gr. and found what my revolver liked. I don't have experience with TiteGroup or longshot and have used A2400 for hotter loads. I would try the BR-5, starting at around 8.0 gr. and find what your gun likes. If it uses Unique data, you should be fine up to 10-11 grains. I would work up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedly Lamarr View Post
    I'm using the Accurate 43-265F and 9.5 gr. of Unique for 1106 fps. Started at 9.0 gr. and found what my revolver liked. I don't have experience with TiteGroup or longshot and have used A2400 for hotter loads. I would try the BR-5, starting at around 8.0 gr. and find what your gun likes. If it uses Unique data, you should be fine up to 10-11 grains. I would work up, though.
    I was hoping someone would mention the BR-5. It's new to me and I have 4 lbs. of it. I used it to load a few 45acp for my Commander. 5.0 - 5.2. It cycled fine, but was very light load. I'll go 5.5 - 6.0 next. I think this powder shows promise for what I want to do with it.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    Again, I use Unique for 45 ACP, and 6.3 gr. gets me 854 fps with a full size gov't model. If a like load of BR-5 gets you a similar velocity, you will know if it is a close comparison to Unique. I have not used it but from what you're saying, it seems to be close to Unique. That would be a good test if you're not sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedly Lamarr View Post
    Again, I use Unique for 45 ACP, and 6.3 gr. gets me 854 fps with a full size gov't model. If a like load of BR-5 gets you a similar velocity, you will know if it is a close comparison to Unique. I have not used it but from what you're saying, it seems to be close to Unique. That would be a good test if you're not sure about it.
    I searched the web pretty hard before I ordered it. A couple old threads from here came up. One of our members with experience with it commented that he felt it was a tad slower than Unique and that using Unique data was to error on the safe side. I have a feeling he was right. I'm not looking to hot rod anything. My Commander is my house gun and stays stoked with premium factory fodder. When I take it out to play, anything that cycles it will do. I have a feeling the BR-5 may come out on top of the powders I listed above. I just don't know where to begin my min-max load ladders when data for the 280 is so sparce. Which is why I started this thread. If I can get it to push this 280 into the mid-range, safely, and group well, I'll be happy as a pig in a puddle.
    Thanks for your load suggestions of 8-11 grs. I'll start with that soon with an 8-10 gr. ladder.
    Deplorable infidel

Of the powders you list, I've loaded 44 Sp. loads with Titegroup, Unique and A2400. The 280 gr bullet is a bit of an oddball round. I've been shooting the 250 gr. LR2R Lee bullets. With that bullet cast at BHN 11, Titegroup 4.7 gr gave me 800 ft/s. With the same bullet A2400 12.3 gr I got 896 ft/s. With the same bullet cast at BHN 17, 12.5 gr A2400 gave me 1002 ft/s. These were all fired from a S&W 629 with a 6" barrel. Since you may be using Unique data, 6.0 gr of Unique BHN 11 gave me 897 ft/s. Obviously you're going to have to dial back the powder load some with your heavier bullet, but hopefully this may give you some numbers to work from.
    Last edited by QuackAttack24; 07-17-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Buddy
    According to my ballistics program (GRT) 15.0 - 16.5 gr of 2400 should work well and be well under max pressure.