Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel chips

Boolit Grand Master

Stainless steel chips

Finally got to try them today.
    I mixed 1/3 chips to 2/3 pins.
    Fallowed the same as I've done before.
    It seemed to clean better and faster.
    Only problem I've run across, is straining and cleaning them.
    So small, and lighter than the pins, that they sometimes float on the water.
    So a few are poured out removing the dirty water.
    I held a magnet under the bucket as I poured, and it did catch most of them.
    I'll need to get some better magnets.
    I'm happy with the way it cleans.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not tried the chips yet, but here is what I do with the magnets.
    I have a utility sink next to the shop that I wash the brass in. I have a round magnet with a hole in the center that is the same size as the drain hole. It fits so that it is just proud of the drain. This does 2 things, 1 slows the flow to the drain, 2 catches the pins before they go down.

I'm sure I've lost some pins, but for the most part has worked for me.

Ken

I don't know anything about these stainless chips or pins but I do know that not all stainless is magnetic.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How big are these chips? Can they fit into the cases? If so, I think they would be hard to get out.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have not tried the pins yet.
    But what I do is use the separater for the corn cob media that I have. Just dump the cases and water into the bottom half of the separator which is sitting on a 3 gallon bucket and then put the top on and turn it around 50 revolutions. By then all the pins are dumped out into the bucket with water. Have three magnets one 5 inch round one taped in the bottom of the bucket. And two straight magnets that are from Harbor Freight. They pretty much catch all the pins. After pouring the dirty water out I rinse with clean water. Then prop up the bucket and let them dry. Then remove magnets and pour them into a plastic coffee container.

I'm thinking that method will work with the chips.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag-01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	286213

DIYMAG Super Strong Neodymium Fishing Magnets, 175 LBS(80 KG) Pulling Force Rare Earth Magnet with Countersunk Hole Eyebolt Diameter 1.89 INCH(48 mm) for Retrieving in River and Magnetic Fishing

I bought one of these from Amazon a couple years ago. It fits nicely inside a section of 2" PVC. I glued a thin piece of plastic onto the bottom. I bolted a piece of 1/4" all thread to the magnet. I then took an end cap and drilled through the center and ran the all thread through the end cap and glued it in place. I used duct tape on the bottom to help keep the plastic safe but if you used a more water proof tape it would be easily submersible. I think another end cap on the bottom would be too thick. The 175 lb. pull makes it far superior to the store bought.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I use the chips. You have to rinse the cases out, especially bottleneck rifle cases but they really do a good job of cleaning the primer pockets and do not get caught in the flash holes. I use a harbor freight magnet like this to recover the chips.

CENTRAL MACHINERY
    Long Reach Magnetic Pickup Tool With Quick Release

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_15148.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	286219
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a few neodymium magnets.
    Got them to try and make a centrifugal mixer.
    Tumbler much easier to use.
    After I got the magnets finally separated , I just held it under the lip of the bucket, as I poured out the dirty water.
    It worked great.
    Darn magnet is strong and has a wide field.
    The ships are really small.
    Will fall right through the primer hole.
    Magnet around the drain sounds like a good idea.
    I have been keeping magnets from old speakers for a while.
    Have them stuck all over the place.
    My cleaning takes kind of long, but I don't want to lose any pins/chips.
    Got nothing else to do anyway.

Boolit Buddy

The FART has a super mesh screen (extra) for dumping the water out. It keeps the Souther Shine media in the tumbler. Dirty water is disposed of without losing chips, also some rinses. Then dunky dunky with a media separator and they’re all gone.

While wet, its tough to pour them all out of the bucket. A bunch stick to the side. So I put them back in the tumbler with the screen, wet, and let them drain and dry. Works for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    The FART has a super mesh screen (extra) for dumping the water out. It keeps the Souther Shine media in the tumbler. Dirty water is disposed of without losing chips, also some rinses. Then dunky dunky with a media separator and they’re all gone.

While wet, its tough to pour them all out of the bucket. A bunch stick to the side. So I put them back in the tumbler with the screen, wet, and let them drain and dry. Works for me.
    When I use my media separator I tape an large old c/b antenna mount magnet on the bottom and two stick magnets from HF to the sides of my three gallon bucket. Pour water out and haven't lost any what's so ever. Then I tilt the bucket so the chips are on the high side and let them dry for a day or so. Then I use the Franklin Armory media handler to move them back to a plastic coffee container.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    When I use my media separator I tape an large old c/b antenna mount magnet on the bottom and two stick magnets from HF to the sides of my three gallon bucket. Pour water out and haven't lost any what's so ever. Then I tilt the bucket so the chips are on the high side and let them dry for a day or so. Then I use the Franklin Armory media handler to move them back to a plastic coffee container.

Oh that’s smart. I like that. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How big are these chips? Can they fit into the cases? If so, I think they would be hard to get out.
    They are tiny. They easily fit into the cases, in fact, they can go through the flash hole.

Pins also fit into the cases by the way.
    NRA Benefactor.

I haven’t tried the chips yet but for pins, I use a machinist magnet. Turn on to collect the pins, turn off to dump the pins.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I haven’t tried the chips yet but for pins, I use a machinist magnet. Turn on to collect the pins, turn off to dump the pins.
    I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a Machinist magnet. How big are they and sounds like they are powered somehow. A small electromagnet?

The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

or a magnetic chip wand/swarf. Saw one being used on one of the machinist youtube channels a couple days ago and thought to myself, I need one of those. But they seem a little pricey for what they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Mag.../dp/B003OJOGA4

I'd think a rare earth magnet on a steel rod with a non-ferrous cup or sleeve over the magnet and rod would do the job as well.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    or a magnetic chip wand/swarf. Saw one being used on one of the machinist youtube channels a couple days ago and thought to myself, I need one of those. But they seem a little pricey for what they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Mag.../dp/B003OJOGA4

I'd think a rare earth magnet on a steel rod with a non-ferrous cup or sleeve over the magnet and rod would do the job as well.
    I use the Franklin Armory media transfer magnet. Can't seem to get an image that will let me show it. Google it.

I'm glad you had a good experience with the chips. I took interest in them before I stopped using pins all together.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

I use Dawn in my rotary drums for the first hour or two to get the initial dirt out of range brass, then change the water and run again with pins and Dawn for another hour or two. On brass I've shot, I'll tumble with Dawn and pins for 3 hours and skip the initial wash. The RCBS media separator gets my pins out and I'll run those pins through the tumbler with Dawn to clean them afterwards. Only time I use magnets is when I find one on the floor.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Man
    I have not been having trouble with lost pins since I started the process of first straining the brass/pin mixture when it comes out of the tumbler with a mesh kitchen sieve to which I have layered inside the sieve a double thickness of cheesecloth. Everything is straining through the sieve and then I let them dry overnight. The next day it is easy to separate dry brass from dry pins. My method might take a bit longer but I never loose pins and with some vigorous shaking all the pins fall out of the brass if thoroughly dried. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast