WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Humidity and Powder Coating

Boolit Bub

Humidity and Powder Coating

I'm just about to start powder coating. I'll be using the "Shake and Bake" method.
    I've researched here thoroughly and bought everything including a couple #5 food containers with plastic screw on lids and am wondering what effect, if any there is for creating static charges to coat the bullets from higher than normal humidity due to it having been raining?

Has anyone found themselves, or seen posted anything about a particular humidity level that above it will reduce, or make it impossible to create the static charge to get the powder to coat the bullets?
    Last edited by Muser; 07-17-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The biggest problem is with humidity working it’s way into your powder stock. Always double bag the powder, forcing out all the air. I add some silica gel packets to each bag. Don’t put unused powder back into bags with virgin powder. I PC in relatively high humidity and it works for me.

Banned
    Yes IF you keep your powder dry (I've heard that somewhere before ) Close the bag/lid ASAP you will be fine. I live in the Pacific NW and on many occasions have PC'd in the garage while it was raining outside.

That's if you have good PC to begin with.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Follow the published rules on shake-n-bake and ti should work in high humidity. I found the method so unpredictable, I switched to ESPC guns several years ago and can now coat any powder anytime on anything I choose, not just boolits! As long as it fits in my big oven.

You can read & research until you blue in the face, but actually getting out there and doing it is the best way to learn.

Boolit Master
    I coated a batch today with Smoke's clear.
    The powder has been in my shaking container for some months.
    We got about 3/4 inch of rain while I was doing it.
    In my shop, no A/C.
    Boolits came out of the oven just fine.
    I'm sorta your neighbor.

Boolit Bub
    Great help guys, thank-you!

Its been raining here alot over the last three days in the Akron/Canton area of Ohio. Lots of humidity so I've hesitated to open my bag of powder from "The Powdercoat Store". Hopefully they're a good source.
    The dehumidifier in my basement is reading "55" so I'm going to add more powder to the black BBs and do a trial coating tonight.
    I very much appreciate your sharing your experiences and encouragement with me.
    The helpfulness of this community makes it seem like we are all old friends in a shooting club.
    I'm honored to be associated with you.

Boolit Master
    I live in the Gulf Coast where humidity often reaches 100% and it is not raining. So let me tell you, humidity does make a difference, regardless. Humidity is the measure of moisture level in the air, so it is not just affecting the powder it is affecting everything air touches, bullets, container, tools, etc. all absorb and contain a level of moisture. Don't believe everything absorbs moisture? Throw a cold bullet into a pot of molten lead; actually no don't do that, unless you want to see lead coming out of that pot. Heat the bullet up enough to drive out the moisture and a very different result.

I store my powder in airtight glass containers in the garage freezer at zero°.
    Even so I may still get a thin or splotchy coating in high humidity. The best way to assure good results every time regardless of the humidity is to preheat your bullets. For this you need an accurate across the scale thermometer and the reason I recommend a glass Taylor Oven Guide, $12.56 at Amazon, use this to check your oven and monitor cooking time & temp.

Simply place the Taylor in the oven where you can see it and preheat your bullets to 140° max or less then tumble coat. You will find the powder sticks even and well with a less delicate bond. Don't be tempted to get the bullets hotter if so you will end up with a lead ball, don't ask how I know this.

Coating in an air conditioned area left for a few hours to stabilize also works well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have different theories on the humidity situation. I live in North Central KS and this has been a killer year for humidity. That said, it is NOT the Gulf Coast or by an body of water. We lived in NW KS where 20% was a big day for humidity but here, it can get brutal.

You bet, humidity is a measure of moisture in the air. Years ago when I painted cars, humidity was a problem with lacquer paint. As the paint went to the surface it took the moisture in the air and trapped it under the paint. The solution was a slower thinner/reducer to allow the moisture to escape. If you didn't do it, you would get a cloudy appearance called blushing.

Now with powder coating, you have to ask yourself several questions. First is where are you coating? It is currently 65% in my city but not that in my house. I have no clue what it is in my home but nothing close to 65%. If you are coating outside or in an out building not temp controlled, yes humidity could be a problem. Second, if you are in a controlled environment, what does the humidity actually do? Some claim it keeps the static electricity from building up. I am not certain of that and if I don't seem to be getting the "charge" I would like, I rub the container on my flat hand or a fabric I know generates lots of charge. Third, moisture in your powder "could" be a problem but again, if you are indoors, it shouldn't be but assume you are not, open the container long enough to get some powder out, put it in your sealed container and seal up your plastic bag of powder or container. Moisture isn't going to magically pour into your powder, it takes a long time and lost of moisture to do that. Powder will likely take on moisture if given the opportunity.

I have not pre-heated my bullets prior to coating and I get excellent results. However, I can see where it would help dry things out especially if the bullets have sat around for a while since being poured. There is another issue, what do you do with your bullets after you cast them? Mine go directly into a container so there is little to no exposure to moisture. The pre-heat method would be worth a test. As mentioned above, too warm and you end up with a piece of lead art - that was my one and only attempt at preheating. Best of luck - think it all through and you will come to conclusions.

Boolit Buddy
    Live in a actual subtropical forest environment, with almost total, year round, 100% humidity, 1 plus kilometer above sea level, and corrosive volcanic gasses from less than 2 mile distant Kilauea Volcano to boot, and I static spray gunned last year over 22,000 cast bullets of all calibers from .30 to.585 and weights from 125 grain to 1150 grain with no problem whatsoever with beautiful glass smooth results. Should not be any issue for you mainlanders whatsoever.
    Aloha No
    Last edited by rrob692326; 09-02-2021 at 04:50 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob692326 View Post
    Live in a actual subtropical forest environment, with almost total, year round, 100% humidity, 1 plus kilometer above sea level, and corrosive volcanic gasses from less than 2 mile distant Kilauea Volcano to boot, and I static spray gunned last year over 22,000 cast bullets of all calibers from .30 to.585 and weights from 125 grain to 1150 grain with no problem whatsoever with beautiful glass smooth results. Should not be any issue for you mainlanders whatsoever.
    Aloha No
    Interesting...Have you tried shake n bake? My experience with shake and bake in Wisconsin where humidity is regularly 467,000% humidity is as follows....When it's humid (unless you are in a/c with powder stored in a/c) you can put 4 coats on to get any coverage. When it's not humid -20° F in the garage, the moist powder forms chunks in the bottle that you can easily avoid...The rest sticks like pollen to a bee's behind. You have to knock off the excess. The difference is like the difference between a grass lawn and a concrete parking lot in texture. But hey, maybe there is more to it than just humidity...some other mysterious condition of the atmosphere that affects powder coating.

Boolit Master

It's not Rocket Science. Just Do It.

An axiom in Golf: Avoid tentative play.

If a batch turns on you, melt 'em, and try again.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

If you are not having the desired effect, try storing the powder, tub, airsoft bb's and boolits in the air conditioned environment the day before and do the process of shaking in that same room. Then when you stick them in the oven, humidity wont be an issue. BUT....make SURE you don't spill them in the carpet, it is tough to remove...believe me.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!