Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavy slugs

Boolit Bub
    Got my first roundball loaded up, going to do a few to check velocity then play around with wads, I have these hard cards, some cork, and fiber wads to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210820_215951.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	287700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210820_215957.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	287701

Boolit Grand Master

Those look nice. The only thing I do different is I try my best to get the sprue cut facing up. I doubt it makes a world of difference, but it is a variable I watch.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Those look nice. The only thing I do different is I try my best to get the sprue cut facing up. I doubt it makes a world of difference, but it is a variable I watch.
    Thanks, I have only loaded the 1 as a test as that's all I had time for today, but I will load the others that way. I actually did it with the sprue cut down, but thinking about it up does make more sense.

The other thing I planned to try is a 3d printed sort of cup. It would in theory apply even pressure to the round ball as the gun is fired. I searched but didn't see anything else like this being tried. After I get a good powder charge figured out I'll load up a few and compare the accuracy vs. a conventional wad.

Boolit Bub
    Finally got the chance to get out and shoot some roundballs today.

Got some good results, I had the best accuracy between 38-40 grains of bluedot, so I think that's where I'll focus my efforts. I went up to 44 grains but the accuracy suffered and cases were getting sticky.

Velocity was right around 1300 fps at 38 grains, although my Labradar did not like these for some reason. I don't know if the wad column or the projectile shape was to blame, but about every other one failed to register. Usually it's perfect.

Picture is a 5 shot group at 50 yards, 38 grains blue dot, x12x gas seal, nitro card, and then a big fiber wad in a fiocchi 2 3/4 hull.

Boolit Grand Master

It doesn't get much better than that.

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty impressive!

I do like the big 'ol round balls! They do well out of smoothbore and even better out of rifled gun.

I think your 3D printed cup is an excellent idea. If I had a 3D printer I would be doing the same. Cap'n Morgan posted a concept of a ball cup with integral tailwad so the ball and cup/tailwad remain together but that was for smoothbore... and injection moulded. I am still waiting for a friend to 3D print me some modified rocket fins per BigMrTong but with a cup (his were for Lee slugs) so a hybrid between Cap'n Morgan's idea and BigMrTong's idea.

For rifled gun of course you don't need the attached wad and it might even cause trouble in flight.

Your cup should support the ball well and prevent any misalignment or rolling as the ball engraves. It should even help in smoothbore. I have recovered balls that had skewed belts on them indicating that they were either off center or rolling as they met the bore. Your cup should solve that issue. I think I need a 3D printer!

Excellent work and excellent results!

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys!

I was happy with the results as well, and of the good accuracy the gun is capable of.

One odd note, the muzzle velocity affected the point of impact as you would expect, but a higher MV actually lowered the point of impact. The 44 grain loads were grouping about 8 inches lower than the 34 grain loads I sighted the gun in with. I adjusted it for the hotter stuff so it would be about centered, I just found this interesting.

I was planning to try out other wads and stuff like that, but now I don't know if it would even help. I am going to take it to 100 yards or even further, possibly some different wad combo will give an improvement there, but at 50 at least I think it's perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

If that accuracy holds up to 100 yards I'd say you've got a winner of a load! Groups will likely be 3" or less at 100 yards.

If all else was the same with the heavier loads (position, hold, etc.) I think the heavier load resulted in less barrel time so not as much muzzle rise in recoil before the slug exited.

I'll be interested in your 100 yard results so will be watching for the next range report.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Very nice! That will kill most anything walking
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn't expect the recoil to make such a huge difference, but I guess it's just the combo of lots of recoil plus a relatively slow projectile.

I exaggerated a little saying the difference in point of impact was 8", but it's still significant. Top is 36 grains and bottom is 44 grains, same point of aim.

Boolit Grand Master

Speaking of recoil, are you still excited to try your 2 3/8 oz behemoth's?

P.S. LabRadar is well known for being picky with shotguns. They don't work with shot at all. I'd be happy you got as good results with slugs as you did. The wads are throwing off your readings, and there is no way around it. A normal skyscreen chronograph works better.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Speaking of recoil, are you still excited to try your 2 3/8 oz behemoth's?

P.S. LabRadar is well known for being picky with shotguns. They don't work with shot at all. I'd be happy you got as good results with slugs as you did. The wads are throwing off your readings, and there is no way around it. A normal skyscreen chronograph works better.
    Oh yeah, still looking forward to it

They really aren't all that bad, I have some lever action .45-70 loads that are worse, but those guns are also several pounds lighter. I know if the gun didn't have the weight that I added it would be considerably worse.

Great results!

Faster loads will impact lower because the recoil is raising the muzzle before the slug has left the barrel. The longer the slug is in the barrel, the more the muzzle will rise.
    I once had an old 6" Webley .455 revolver. Standing behind the shooter on a 25 meter range, you could tell the bore line was well below the actual point of impact.
    Cap'n Morgan

LabRadar don’t measure round projectiles very well. I spoke with an engineer from them and they said it had something to do with the Doppler signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Finally got my mold!

Cast a batch up and can't wait to get out and actually fire them, I'll likely have to test them and the roundballs on separate days since I don't think my shoulder could take that, it was pretty sore for a couple days after the last session anyway.

Casting them was sure different, I had to crank the heat way down compared to what I usually cast at, and I still had to cool the mold in between.

They ended up a little heavier than I planned, but that's alright. Comparison is with a .38 special cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that there is a hefty and good looking slug!

I am looking forward to your range report.

I don't recall if I posted Greg Sappington's comments about his 1043 gr. slug (to lazy to reread posts) but he said recoil wasn't bad at 1100 FPS using slow powder.

Longbow

OK,,, That will leave a mark!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

This might be the place to ask...

I've been trying to find some reasonable and reliable load data for a double .690 round ball load. I have a .690 RB mold and some BP x12x wads on order. I also have a couple of pounds of blue dot, about 6lbs of Longshot, and a couple pounds of herco along with a smattering of different types of 209 primers. I also have a BP roll crimp tool that I can use for these.

I'm not looking for a super magnum load, just something moderate. They'll only be shot out of smooth bores. Where would be a good place to start?
    "The Gods cannot do for Man what Man must do for himself." ~ Athena
    -The Odyssey

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think too many have tried double .690" balls. That is about a 2 ounce payload. Bluedot works great for that, I wouldn't mess with Longshot or Herco on such a heavy load.

Boolit Grand Master

I have downloaded but not used Deer Assassin's recipe for double 0.690" ball load. IIRC he posted it on Shotgun World.

I can PM it to you if you want it.

I might have another recipe too. I'll take a look.

I have loaded slugs of 800+ gr. slugs using birdshot data.

I opted for two ball load using 0.600" RB's. Got to get back to that too!

You could probably use Greg Sappingtons 1043 gr. slug data for the 2 ball load too though your payload might be "light". I believe he posted that data here and also on Shotgun World. I have that as well. Greg's recipe was pressure tested.

If you want the info let me know.

Longbow

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast