RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: What you cant do with bh209

What you cant do with bh209

I have a custom cartridge that I developed. I built it around 12 ga brass hulls and a 720 grn 12 gauge Paradox bullet. The bullet is .715 in dia. Some hulls use 209 primers, some use large pistol primers. My load of choice is 90 grains of BH 209, an over powder card, a split fiber wad, the bullet and then another over powder wad that is crimped down using a custom crimper. Well, the 209 primed cases work great. Big boom, bullet shoots tight out of my H&R Magnum slug gun. 4" at 100 yards is very repeatable. However, the cases primed with Win magnum large pistol primers hang fire every time. So, moral of the story, BH209 required a hot primer and a direct flame. If you have ever looked at the inside of a brass 12 gauge case, you know that the primer pocket extends up into the case like an inverse percussion nipple. This indirect path makes for slow ignition. Cases primed with 209 primers have a flat base interior so that the flame from the primer shoots right into the base of the powder charge making ignition much faster.

So, no more BH 209 in pistol primed cases.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Moderator Emeritus
    I am pretty sure BH 209 states that you should only use 209 primers with it.

Maybe duplex load with a few grains of real black powder under the B209 main charge? That would let you use the cases you have.

BH 209 shows loads for all kinds of pistol and rifle rounds using regular primers. It's the unique construction of the 12 ga cases that make using the large pistol primer impossible. I thought about duplexing but the fouling does not clean up well with that combination
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Even in handgun cartridges, the wcf cartridges and other original type rifle cartridges BH209 preforms best with magnum primers.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.