Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: New to me Browning 1885

Boolit Buddy

New to me Browning 1885

I've been trying to buy a gun like this for awhile and finally scored and picked this one up today from my local Cabela's. Found it in the Cabela's Gun Library search and it was in Nebraska and I came very close to missing it. When I called about it, the person I talked to said he was waiting on an FFL for shipping, I ask if it had been paid for yet and the answer was no, I ask to be put on the list to be notified if the deal fell thru. The next day I get a call and was ask if I was interested, well you know the answer to that. I paid for it and ask to be shipped to the Cabela's near me. I've watched and bid on guns like this on gun broker but they went for more than I was willing to pay, most go for over $1500 plus tax, shipping and transfer so it makes the guns cost near $1700. Its a very clean Browning 1885 38-55 Hunter model 28" barrel with a 3x9 Redfield in Browning base and rings and the Browning tang sight and the box has the rear sight and all the paper work that it was shipped with. I'm very happy with my purchase. Like someone posted recently "I had to tell someone". Here are a few pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7291.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	286170

Name:	IMG_7292.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	286171

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	286172

Name:	IMG_7294.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	286173

Nice looking rifle, what is the caliber ?

Jedman

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, its a 38-55. If it shoots as good as it looks it should be a good shooter.

wcp

You done good. I had one of those for a while, never should have sold it. Very versatile, and strong enough for anything you're brave enough to fire in it. My favorite was paper patched slicks over a case of black powder, of course.

Boolit Master
    I've 2 1885s mine don't have
    the curved butt plate mine are 45/70 and 40/65.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I've 2 1885s mine don't have
    the curved butt plate mine are 45/70 and 40/65.
    This makes my 4th Browning High Wall. I have a 1885 45-70 BPCR, a B78 45-70 another B78 that has been re-barreled by Ron Long and is a 40-65. I have not tried paper patching or black powder yet. I may have to give paper patching a try, I don't have an undersize bullet to try patching, but I'm always looking for molds.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Great find, I have nearly exactly the same rifle by Winchester.

Boolit Master

Just got my 38-55 up & running a couple of weeks ago in a custom rifle styled like the original type 1885s and after playing with it a bit I wonder now why I didn't try the 38-55 a long time ago, I think you made a great choice with that caliber! I am finding the 38-55 to be a very versatile round with pleasant recoil even in a lightweight rifle, only shot smokeless and those silly jacketed bullets so far but as I get the rifle broken in and find a good mold I will switch to BP (REAL BP) and likely stay with BP and cast bullets only.

This rifle seems to shoot really good with smokeless and just a very few years ago I would not have used anything else, at the time I didn't want to mess with that nasty ole' BP but these varmints here on this site got me curious to try it and now I don't want anything else!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master
    I very nice gun. Good things are worth waiting for.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Just got my 38-55 up & running a couple of weeks ago in a custom rifle styled like the original type 1885s and after playing with it a bit I wonder now why I didn't try the 38-55 a long time ago, I think you made a great choice with that caliber! I am finding the 38-55 to be a very versatile round with pleasant recoil even in a lightweight rifle, only shot smokeless and those silly jacketed bullets so far but as I get the rifle broken in and find a good mold I will switch to BP (REAL BP) and likely stay with BP and cast bullets only.
    I agree on the caliber. This is not my first 38-55, its just the one I've been wanting for some time. I have a Winchester Trapper and a H&R target model and love shooting them. I have the Lee 250gr and a NOE 330gr mold and both shoot pretty good in my other guns. I tried dropping a loaded round in the chamber of the Browning and the Lee drops right in but the NOE boolit did not chamber. I slugged the barrel and found this barrel is tighter at .377 than my other 38-55's. I will try shooting the Lee boolit first and probably buy a .378 sizing die. A new mold may be in my future.

I use to be mostly a pistol shooter but the last 10 years or so my age and eyesight have contributed to turning me into a rifle shooter. I like shooting peep sights and this rifle will be the first with the lyman style tang sight. Still having fun. Thanks for all comments.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Mine loves the Lee bullet, outstanding accuracy, with only the peep sight.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Mine loves the Lee bullet, outstanding accuracy, with only the peep sight.
    What size Lee bullet do you shoot? I have both the .379 and .380 dies for my 450. My other 38's do just fine with either size. I would have bought a Winchester Hunter if I could have found one but the Browning came along first and was my first choice because they usually have a little nicer wood on them. I'm sure there is not 2 cents difference between the two. This gun will probably end up with a vernier sight of some kind on it. I have verniers on 2 other rifles and like the repeatability of them. I got outbid on a Browning vernier sight on Gun Broker awhile back, came off a BPCR model.

wcp

Boolit Bub
    I have an original Winchester 1894 in 38-55, and love it. I am using the Ideal mold 375296 it cast at about 275 gr and is gas checked. I have always wanted to try the 38-55 express bullet 37577 which I think would be very nice as well.

Boolit Master
    using the Lee mold, my slugs come out at 265grs, sized 378 from the mold, I just pan lube and load.

Boolit Master

I have a 1885 in 405 win. They are great rifles. Watch out so that crescent but plate doesn't reach out and grab ya. Ask me how I know
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    Horror story with one of mine. The Brownings have a much higher grade of wood on them than the Win's which also makes them weaker due to grain structure. I purchased one online many years ago and it was shipped to my FFL bud, received the call your box is here but I am not touching it till you get here. Tight little group we are and thinking another chain pull, well he was not kidding the box looked like a banana. In black plastic hard case found my two pieces of the new to me Win/Jap. Just saying I would be a little more cautious with that higher grade wood leaning or stacking, twenty years ago was 500 for a new non matching butt.

Boolit Master
    guns with two piece stocks should be shipped with butt stock removed
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    I have one that started out as a .40-65 that Lee Shaver rebarreled to .38-55. I use a custom Lyman that drops a 336 gr bullet. On a good day grandson can do 2" or less at 200 yards with tang sight and glob front sight. STP lube full load Swiss 1 1/2 vibrated felt lube wad and a .030 card wad. 200 yards is where current targets are set. My eyes are good for 4" at 300 yards.

Boolit Master

Great looking rifle! Like you I have a BPCR in 45-70. I look forward to you posting you paper patch adventures.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    Beaver Scout,
    Re. the express bullet for your 38-55:
    Take a look at the NOE 235 gr Ranch Dog (RD) FN bullet. It shoots great.
    beltfed/arnie