Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favorite powders for revolver ammo?

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye
    700X
    Clays
    Titegroup
    HP38
    W231
    Accurate #2
    Red Dot
    Unique
    Power Pistol
    Accurate #5
    Accurate #7
    2400 - for heavy magnum loads

After the 2012 shortage I made this list and carried it in my wallet , I have since found most of these powders and tried them ... all with great sucess , well some a little better than others ... but it has opened my eyes, for 40 years I used only Bullseye , Unique and 2400 ... there are so many other powders that do as well and can be used when you can't find your favorite .
    I like the Accurate line and Red Dot . For about 25 years I got by with just Unique ... but Unique isn't great for light target loads ... no matter how you hold your mouth !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-18-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling : W231 not ... W23
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Bullseye cause I’ve got 16# of in the cabinet.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Bullseye cause I’ve got 16# of in the cabinet.
    That's a damn good one to have 16lbs of! I really really really kick myself for not stocking up for the past 4 years.

Boolit Master
    +1 for Bullseye or Unique.

Red dot is also a good choice in a pinch.

Boolit Buddy
    I use either HP 38 or Titegroup for 9mm, .38 special, .44 special and .45 ACP. I prefer Titegroup. In my magnums W296 or H110. I also load light magnums with Titegroup.

Boolit Buddy
    I use cast bullets for all the calibers in your list. BE86 for all except 44spl and 44mag which I use 2400.

Boolit Buddy
    I have recently found Winchester Super Target and Super Field to be a good powders for 45 ACP. Haven't tried then in anything else yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I do them all with only two powders

Bullseye and AutoComp

Do not use Unique, Herco, Red Dot or any large particle flake powders because they do not measure uniformly in the Star and Dillon machines.
    I have been using a Dillon for over 30 years and have used Unique almost exclusively for my 38 Specials, 357, 44Mag, 45 LC. and have never had a problem. It could be because of where I live, dry climate. "Arizona".

Boolit Bub
    I use HP-38/231 in all of them for target cast bullet loads. For a little more power, I go to Unique.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    38 Colt Short & Long, 38 Special, 357. 380, 9mm, 45 Colt / Schofield

I try and keep 4 different powders on hand - Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Green dot & Unique

Not to forget Goex 2F & 3F for BP cartridges and Smith Carbine

Boolit Buddy
    I do not reload all of the calibers you list and there are some variables with bullet materials, styles and sizes so these are general.

357 Magnum - 2400

38 Special - W231 and occasionally Titegroup

44 Special

44 Magnum

9mm - Titegroup and W231

45acp - W231 and CFE

40 S&W - Titegroup but I need to work loads with 231 and CFE

Boolit Master
    I buy big batches (to save on shipping/hazmat) off of the web.

For heavy magnum type loads, I have moved away from 296/H110 and started using either the slightly slower WC 680 (milsurp version of AA 1680) or the slightly faster Shooters World Heavy pistol (almost identical to AA #9). Both of these powders seem much less temperamental than the Hodgdon stuff.

For all my other handgun ammo it is either Titegroup or Promo (bulk version of Red Dot). These two are on the fast burning side. I prefer Promo for most stuff but use Titegroup where I want less volume (this is good for the 9mm and similar), or the better metering in really small charges.
    Last edited by P Flados; 07-17-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Almost any handgun or shotgun powder can be made to work in most of those.
    tazman has it right. Pre-panic, I used to use a lot of 231 for plinking ammo, and 2400 or H110 for magnum level loads. Now I'm not quite so picky.

Red Dot and Green Dot can make some spectacularly accurate loads, but they don't meter well in small doses. I tend to use a dipper for small charges, and also small quantities of cartridges.

Robert

I use a lot of bullseye and clays for general plinking/blammo ammo. If you can't find an accurate load with either 1 of those powders somethings wrong. Easy metering and small charge weights, a little goes a long way.

Always used ww452 and now WST over ww231/hp-38. Always got better accuracy or easier to find accurate loads with WST over ww231.

I burn a lot of powder pistol rather than unique. I keep unique around for a general do/all powder for testing loads over a chronograph & comparing that data to what I'm really interested in. Power pistol tends to out perform unique in a lot of different calibers producing higher velocities with either the same pressures or lower pressure loads.

For heavy mag loads I use mainly 2400. There's always h110 and mp-300 laying around but those are for "specialty" loads.

I also keep an 8# jug of trailboss around for general plinking/blammo ammo loads. It will put lead down range in every pistol/revolver/rifle I reload for.

What I don't like doing is loading down a powder to make lite loads. If I want lite loads I have clays and bullseye for that. Don't need to dumb down ww231 or unique. Same with too lite of a load with 2400, the lite loads will start have soot & unburnt powder. I'd rather use power pistol for those loads.

Don't like maxing out a powder to make heavy loads either. I'd rather keep in pressure ranges where my casting alloy performs at a high level. Then use a powder that burns fast/slow that stays in that pressure range producing the velocities I'm trying to achieve. Makes no since to max out a load of power pistol when I can take a couple 1000psi off a load and get the same velocities with 2400.
    Last edited by Forrest r; 07-18-2021 at 08:31 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I have been using a Dillon for over 30 years and have used Unique almost exclusively for my 38 Specials, 357, 44Mag, 45 LC. and have never had a problem. It could be because of where I live, dry climate. "Arizona".
    You are correct.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Out of those, I reload 38 Special and 9mm. Both get Red Dot.
    I'm with you sigep!

Boolit Grand Master

Reloadin Tip ... Don't limit yourself to one or two powders , for 40 years I only used Bullseye and Unique with a little 2400 for heavy loads .
    In 2012 I woke up and could find No Bullseye , No Unique and No 2400 ...
    Don't hamstring yourself to one powder ...have several backups and by now you should have had a lifetime supply hoarded away ...if not , get prepared for the next shortage ...You know it's comming next election cycle ... and you know which election I'm talking about .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    357 Mag - H110
    .38 Spl light loads - Tightgroup
    .38 Spl heavy loads - Power Pistol
    9mm/45auto light- Bullseye
    9mm/45auto heavy - Power Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    I would use unique for all
    Of them.
    I am with Flailguy

Moderator Emeritus

AA2, Red Dot and WC820. Power pistol works good in the autos.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast