Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trip! What car to take?

I'd take the Toyota.

Reliability trumps good gas mileage.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I'd take the HHR to the end of my driveway and put a "FOR SALE" sign on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Drive the one that your most comfortable in. Is it worth $50 or even $100 to be uncomfortable for the whole time it takes to go round trip?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Anyways a rattling noise over bumps is usually stabilizer bar end links. They connect the strut assembly to the vehicle body threw a giant torsion bar (anti roll bar).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    ^^^What he said^^^
    My car has bad sway bar rubber bumpers. Been like that for years...BUT check them like rbuck351 says. You don't want to lose a tie rod end on the highway.

Boolit Master
    Toyota. Maybe it’s an old wives tale, but I like to put some highway miles on a vehicle from time to time. Besides, more reliable and more comfortable.

I would have your hosts ask where their guest should store his personal weapon while on base. There is certainly a process.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post

I would have your hosts ask where their guest should store his personal weapon while on base. There is certainly a process.
    I called the base visitor's center today and asked what the process was. They said there was no process for visiting civilians; retired/former military or not, to leave their guns with them or anyone else while visiting. They suggested I contact a gun shop in the area that might be willing to store it, or see if my daughter has any friends off-base that could hold onto it for me.

I was surprised there was no option for me.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    How much will it cost you if the HHR leaves you stranded? I would take the 4 runner and use the HHR local. That way it won't be that far for the wrecker to tow the car home.
    What he said, plus what you say about driving with your head cocked due to your height tells me you have exactly one choice. Drive the SUV. Yes, gas will be more expensive. Life is tough, and then you start Kindergarten. It gets worse from there.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

If you cant take your carry firearm along then make the vehicle your weapon drive the suv being bigger heavier and stronger and plan on running problems over or off the road

The clubs instructor once asked me how I would handle a road rage scenario. I grinned and told him I drive a 4 wheel drive diesel excursion Ill run them over or off the road,closest thing to a bull dozer with out tracks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I called the base visitor's center today and asked what the process was. They said there was no process for visiting civilians; retired/former military or not, to leave their guns with them or anyone else while visiting. They suggested I contact a gun shop in the area that might be willing to store it, or see if my daughter has any friends off-base that could hold onto it for me.

I was surprised there was no option for me.
    Unfortunately I think you will find even less success with the FFL's in the area. My brother had lived there in 2017-2018, and he got grief the entire time. He wasn't in the navy, only his wife was, and they lived right south of the base. The base was the most unfriendly place, and this was a direct contrast where they had come from before of Norfolk, Virgina, which was the most welcoming. He used to shoot trap on the VA base twice a week. WA base wouldn't even let him pick up his wife in his car half the time. Outside of the base he was met with the most elitist shooters in the country. He got on a waiting list for a range, and in 2 years, never let him in. He tried to buy a handgun at 21, and the FFL refused to do so, which is technically their right. I tried to sell my brother a handgun, and multiple FFL's flat out refused to even touch the deal.

All in all, Seattle is one of the most restrictive cities in the country, maybe not as bad as LA or New York, but as bad if not worse than Chicago. Where there is a will, there is a way, but I'd personally just go without a firearm. 315 miles isn't like you are crossing the country, and you'll be on a military base.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Where there is a will, there is a way, but I'd personally just go without a firearm. 315 miles isn't like you are crossing the country, and you'll be on a military base.
    The other option is just to rent a hotel outside of the base. But, that's a lot of money and it's a couple of days before payday, so don't have the cash for another $300 of expenses right now.

Daughter wants us to go to a public beach and then a drive-thru zoo with free range animals; two prime spots for a need of a firearm against two-legged and four-legged threats, lol.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I leave my guns at home when visiting relatives in WA. I was born and lived in WA for about 35 years then moved to AK. I don't even like to go to WA. WA. has gone nuts with their politics. Wenatchee is as far west in WA. as I will go and I don't go there for tourist type things just to visit a sister and then leave. Only other place I will go in WA. is Walla Walla which is where my wife and I both have family. Won't take guns there either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I leave my guns at home when visiting relatives in WA. I was born and lived in WA for about 35 years then moved to AK. I don't even like to go to WA. WA. has gone nuts with their politics. Wenatchee is as far west in WA. as I will go and I don't go there for tourist type things just to visit a sister and then leave. Only other place I will go in WA. is Walla Walla which is where my wife and I both have family. Won't take guns there either.
    Curious as to why?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Decided on the 4Runner. Went to Wally World earlier today and bought an aluminum T-Ball bat to keep in the front seat area. Makes a handy little club, and is for my grandsons, until it isn't...

Also, bought my dad a tactical sword cane that he refused to touch, so I will have it with me in public, since my left knee is sort of hurting.

So, won't be totally defenseless. And I'm still big and intimidating, so there's that...

Attachment 286250

Banned

Haven't been to Lewis/McCord in a few years, but most military installations only really care about registration and insurance on the car, in the unlikely event they actually search one, it's never gone past opening all the doors, hood, trunk, glove box and someone looking in. Without going into details of how I know, it isn't difficult to stash a handgun on a vehicle where it won't be found. Keep it locked up wherever you're staying once you get on post. Did this for a week-long TDY a couple of times. Where I was going, I wouldn't be unarmed and then didn't leave the installation until time to go home, had no desire to.

Just for what it's worth, that sword cane would likely get the powers that be on an installation almost as excited as a handgun. Bat looks innocent enough, might want to have a ball and a couple of gloves with it to make it even more so.

As mentioned, leaving it home probably isn't a big deal, a public beach and drive through zoo isn't like you're going to Chicago.

Boolit Master

Typical they only put out information they want. Tell them you would like to utilze the base privately owned firearm range and to register a firearm.

All COVID-19 Restrictions related to weapons registration have been lifted. Any person requesting to transport a weapon onto JBLM for a legitimate purpose is authorized to register their firearm with the Provost Marshal's Office of the Directorate of Emergency Services.

Reminder:

Concealed Carry is not authorized on JBLM. State-issued Concealed Carry Permits are not valid on federal military installations.
    Unregistered firearms are prohibited from being brought onto any part of JBLM.
    Firearms may only be transported in a POV when engaged in an authorized activity.
    When transporting a firearm it:

Must be in a case
    Must be unloaded
    Must not be located in the passenger compartment
    Ammunition must be separate from the weapon
    Must be registered with DES

Link also tells how to deregister when you leave.

https://home.army.mil/lewis-mcchord/...n-registration

CD
    retired
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Decided on the 4Runner. Went to Wally World earlier today and bought an aluminum T-Ball bat to keep in the front seat area. Makes a handy little club, and is for my grandsons, until it isn't...

Also, bought my dad a tactical sword cane that he refused to touch, so I will have it with me in public, since my left knee is sort of hurting.

So, won't be totally defenseless. And I'm still big and intimidating, so there's that...

Attachment 286250
    Be very careful. What constitutes a concealed weapon in Washington? In MANY places a sword cane would be a felony.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Made it. And of course there was just a possible terrorist attack on the base. Just went in alert when a car rammed the gate I came through earlier and burst into flames. No idea if it hit the news yet, but it's a big deal here.

Boolit Master

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12